Talk about a compressed load

DevilDawg

Beginner
Apr 10, 2006
I have an old Speer 1998 reloading manual and was looking at some of the 300 Win Mag loads it recommends. After looking at several, I decided to load one. Here is the recipe for the minimum load,.............

Remington 300 Win Mag case, sized full length.
Powder--H1000 87Grs Min. load------Max. load calls for 91.0Grs powder
Nosler--180Gr Ballistic Tip
Primer--Federal-215
COL-----3.560"

When I loaded the powder 87Grs, it came to within 1/8" of the top of the case neck. The Max. load took it over the top. Now I don't mind loading compressed, but this is a bit much in my opinion. Has something changed since 1998? Are cases different? Powder etc.?

DevilDawg

I checked my Speer Reloading Manual No.13. (1st Printing December 1998), and the load data that you indicated is for the .300 Weatherby Magnum, using their 150-gr. bullets (Page 323).

This is NOT the data indicated for the .300 Win Magnum, using a 180-gr projectile. …This manual lists a starting load of 77.0-grs H1000 and a maximum load of 81.0-grs H1000 (Page 318).

JimD

I agree with Jim you are on the wrong page!!

BTW, Speer doesn`t list a Ballistic Tip bullet in their data. This is a Nosler bullet. Start at the recommended point and work up especially when useing a bullet of different manufacture then listed in the reciept. Don`t start at the max.
:)

You guys are right , that load is for the 300 Weatherby Magnum. What a dumb ass mistake. Nope, did not try to shoot any, as a matter of fact never loaded any. Was just looking at loads in the old manuals and comparing them to some of the latest Lee data.

If you do run across a load that "they" say will fit (compressed) but it doesn't look like it will, try using a long drop tube which may help align powder granules as they fall. Another trick is to dump half or so of the charge in the case, vibrate it a bit and dump the rest assuming it will then fit.* Getting the bullet started without doing much powder compression may allow you to tap or vibrate the case enough to get the powder settled enough to seat a bullet without bulging the case.

Now, obviously, you don't want to try using a large load like that when it is actually for another cartridge. Glad they mistake was noticed - and it's always good to double check especially when it looks like things won't fit right. I have used a good Speer load with IMR 7828 in a Weatherby case which just wouldn't fit though the book claimed it would. It is a good load as long as one takes the time to make it all fit well.

*I touch the case to the side of a vibrating case polisher to help settle the powder.

Back