Taurus 44 Tracker Stainless

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
Looking for opinions on this one.

If you want a ported .44 Magnum I’d look at Colt.

Taurus has been hit and miss in my experience and I refuse to carry, or own, one.

Vince

My intent is a handgun I can throw in the 4-wheeler for bow hunting. It’s usually getting dark when retrieving game and with the wolves hanging around I like to go home in 1 piece.

I knew a fella who had a Taurus 44 Rem Mag with I believe a 6" unported barrel. Seemed like a nice gun and he was pretty happy with it.
I personally have not shot a ported 44 but would think it would help with quicker follow up shots if required. Having a 4" barrel will certainly make it easier to carry.
FWIW, I love my S&W 629 3". She's a handful with full power loads but really fun to shoot with 240 gr hard cast bullets at 1000 fps. I put a red dot on mine and consistent hits on my 58 yard gong is easy.
You will love the 44 Mag.

JD338

I had one - I would not shoot that gun with out hearing protection!
Outside of that, I had purchased it for same reason.

I sold it and carry a Glock 20 when I feel the need in the mountains of ID,

Played with a Colt Grizzly today in the gun store.
Has one of the best out of the box triggers I’ve ever felt on a revolver that hasn’t been to the gunsmith.

This was the 4.25” ported version. I want one! Want and need are not mutually exclusive and I’ve got a Glock 20 that’s set up for bears. I also have my S&W Model 58 that I carry. The Grizzly handles nice and seems to point well in my hands. If I was looking for a ported .44 Magnum revolver, I’m not, this would be the one I’d go with.

Vince

I did order the Tuarus. I really don’t need anything fancy , just something from me having my arm chewed off.
The other 2 handguns I have are bolt action so I wanted something smaller.

IMG_5067.jpeg
44 made it home today. Never owning a revolver for the price I didn’t think it was all that bad. Lucky it has adjustable sights , it needed some serious adjusting. It took a few shots yo get on target at 25yds. Once on the plate a couple more adjustments to get centered on the top.
IMG_5066.jpeg

Congratulations. Nice looking revolver and it seems to shoot well. You are going to love the 44 Mag.

JD338

Updated the sights to a Vortex Viper red dot. Thanks to Jim I didn’t know there was a base available for it.
IMG_5135.jpeg
Today sighted it in at 25yds with 240gr SWC and HS-6. Put a few groups on steel.
25yds
IMG_5147.jpeg
50yds
IMG_5148.jpeg
What I also learned is the 25yd zero shoots 6” high at 50yds. Without a rest or a bag to shoot off I’ll take it.
For what I wanted this fits the bill.

I had a tracker a while back. I could not say anything bad about it. Always had great luck with Taurus revolvers. In fact I just bought one in 327 Federal!

Back