Tell Me Why

Rodger,

In my opinion, if you can afford the rifle, buy it.

I just lost a very good friend who worked hard all of his life, was successful, and planned to fully retire this year. Instead, he died on Memorial weekend without reaching retirement. I have reached the conclusion that there is no point in putting off to tomorrow what you can enjoy today.

So, if you can afford it, buy it. If you can't afford it, sell something else that you don't need and then buy it. Or, give up something else that you don't need. One time, I took out a personal loan to buy a rifle, and then I quit smoking and used the cigarette money to pay off the loan. That was a win, win, win deal for me.

Find a way and make it happen.

Dan

No, I would look to a 7mm Rem. Mag or .280 Rem. Just always wanted try one. But you half to do what's right for you not me.

I cannot live with myself without a good 300 magnum kicking around. Saying that, a 7mm Magnum is just about my favorite all arounder for everything. I love my Mashburn a ton. Shoots relatively flat with the same bullets you'd load in a 300, with a touch less recoil. A good 7mm Mag with a quality 160-175 leaves nothing on the table that you'd have to have a 300 for. My 338 is still my safety blanket and always seems to wiggle itself into my truck no matter where I am going, but that might be more because of the rifle having a bit of history with me, more so than the cartridge it is chambered for.

Rodger with your 7 & the 35AI you have enough Gun for anything in North America :wink:.
I have seen the 7 with a 160gr. AB or Partition drop Elk & Moose out to 500 yards and the 35AI with a 250gr. bullet is just the thumper to stop most anything on this continent (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

Personally, I am not a big m70 fan. Nothing wrong with them, but I’m just more used to Savages and Tikkas. I know several people who love the m70s, though, and I can’t blame them.

I’m a 30-06 fan, but the 300WM is very appealing. It’s the most practical magnum in my book... but I own 3 - 30-06s and no 300WMs

I have three hunting rifle rigs. A standard Rem 700 SPS SS in 270 win with 24” 1 x10 twist Houge stock. shoots everything from 100 to 150 grain very versatile for a wide variety of game but limiting in range for larger game.

Then I built a Rem 700 build with a 270 win with a 26’ Sendero profile McGowen Precision, 1x8 twist rifle with a Magpul hunter stock. Explicit purpose drive the new 170 Berger EOL. It launches a 170 gr Berger EOL at 2935 FPS. and basically mirrors the trajectory of a 300 win mag with a 208 gr A Max. Supersonic to 1,725 yds at sea level. The 270 win load retains 1,160 ft lbs at 1,000 yds. The 300 Win Mag retains 1,469 ft lbs at 1,000 yds. The 270 Win retains that energy just shy of 800 yds. At 1,000 yds with a 300 yd zero there is a 6.0 mil adjustment for the 270, and a 6.1 mil for the 300 win Mag. So very very close. But the 300 wi mag does give you a 200 yd energy gain all other things being equal.

So I built another 700 rig in 338 win mag. 26” McGowen Precision 1x10 twist. Hand loaded this rifle can push a 270 ELD X right at 2,690 FPS. That load delivers 2,000 ft lbs at 875 yds. 1,732 at 1,000 and is supersonic at sea level to 1,675 yds.

So yes, the 300 win mag is a great cartridge. However there are different power levels required for different purposes. Hardly believe a 300 win mag would be the ultimate gun for ground hogs. However a 223 would be awesome for this it is not a 1,000 yds Elk gun.

I love the new high BC bullets and powders that give old standby cartridges a increase of range and feasibility like the 270 win and 338 win mag as above.

Ever since years ago when I got an AR in 264 LBC I learned shooting as heavy a high BC bullet you can get to work in a chamber maximized the performance of that rifle.

Bottom line it’s cheaper to shoot the smallest caliber you can to get a job done. Hunting as much as it is about power is ultimately about shot placement. When a moose has it heart shot out it does not know what the bullet that hit him. He does not say ouch that was a .277 or a .308 or a .338. He is dead right quick. The more you shoot the better you get.

If you can afford it, get the 300 win mag. Great cartridge. Really versatile in all venues. It is chamfering that other cartridge performances are measured with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have three hunting rifle rigs. A standard Rem 700 SPS SS in 270 win with 24” 1 x10 twist Hogue stock. shoots everything from 100 to 150 grain very versatile for a wide variety of game but limiting in range for larger game. Y

Then I built a Rem 700 build with a 270 win with a 26’ Sendero profile McGowen Precision, 1x8 twist rifle with a Magpul hunter stock. Explicit purpose drive the new 170 Berger EOL. It launches a 170 gr Berger EOL at 2935 FPS. and basically mirrors the trajectory of a 300 win mag with a 208 gr A Max. Supersonic to 1,725 yds at sea level. The 270 win load retains 1,160 ft lbs at 1,000 yds. The 300 Win Mag retains 1,469 ft lbs at 1,000 yds. The 270 Win retains that energy just shy of 800 yds. At 1,000 yds with a 300 yd zero there is a 6.0 mil adjustment for the 270, and a 6.1 mil for the 300 win Mag. So very very close. But the 300 wi mag does give you a 200 yd energy gain all other things being equal.

So I built another 700 rig in 338 win mag. 26” McGowen Precision 1x10 twist. Hand loaded this rifle can push a 270 ELD X right at 2,690 FPS. That load delivers 2,000 ft lbs at 875 yds. 1,732 at 1,000 and is supersonic at sea level to 1,675 yds.

So yes, the 300 win mag is a great cartridge. However there are different power levels required for different purposes. Hardly believe a 300 win mag would be the ultimate gun for ground hogs. However a 223 would be awesome for this but it is not a 1,000 yds Elk gun.

I love the new high BC bullets and powders that give old standby cartridges a increase of range and feasibility like the 270 win and 338 win mag as above.

Ever since years ago when I got an AR in 264 LBC I learned shooting as heavy a high BC bullet you can get to work in a chamber maximized the performance of that rifle down range.

Bottom line it’s cheaper to shoot the smallest caliber you can to get a job done. Hunting as much as it is about power is ultimately about shot placement. When a moose has it heart shot out it does not know what the bullet that hit him. He does not say ouch that was a .277 or a .308 or a .338. He is dead right quick. The more you shoot the better you get.

If you can afford it, get the 300 win mag. Great cartridge. Really versatile in all venues. It is chamfering that other cartridge performances are measured with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not about the need , it’s about want you want. I have several rifles I don’t need but they are something I always wanted. If you can swing it go for it.

Thanks for all the replies.
I was looking to sell the 338Win to fund this project but have been unsuccessful so it's been put on hold.

Treat yourself to an older Model 700 Classic in 300WM instead! :) Longer action so easier to seat the bullets further out, nice handling stock, easy on the shoulder. The older older PF Mod 70s have terrible stocks...will kick the shot out of you Pard! If you could find a bit "newer" Mod 70 Classic Sporter, they are designed better. But you still can't seat the bullets out like you can in a Model 700! Either way...a 300WM, 180TTSX over 76gr R22 is a giant killer! About like a 180 AccuBond out of your 338WM...….:) ooops

preacher":1sis7gsr said:
Treat yourself to an older Model 700 Classic in 300WM instead! :) Longer action so easier to seat the bullets further out, nice handling stock, easy on the shoulder. The older older PF Mod 70s have terrible stocks...will kick the shot out of you Pard! If you could find a bit "newer" Mod 70 Classic Sporter, they are designed better. But you still can't seat the bullets out like you can in a Model 700! Either way...a 300WM, 180TTSX over 76gr R22 is a giant killer! About like a 180 AccuBond out of your 338WM...….:) ooops
I have 2 push feeds and they both came with the plastic stock which I removed and replaced one with a factory take off laminated stock and the other is in a B&C Medalist, my 35/AI and a 7mm Rem. I like the triggers and replacing the stocks are easy and inexpensive. I might look for a M700 since I have a very nice laminated stock for one.

Well I picked up a M70 push feed 300 Win I was watching on GB.
The price had been dropped once and they still couldn't sell it so I sent the owner an email and asked what was the rock bottom price.
He responded and I made a counter offer $40 dollars less and he jumped at it I think I should have offered less but it was still in the price range I had in mind o I'm happy with that.
Rifle arrives tomorrow and I'm burnt out looking for parts since it's a 1990s push feed with a synthetic blind mag stock I would need bottom metal for the laminated stock I have on hand so the hunt was on.
Found it over on the 24hr campsite and made a deal. Then someone told me if I stretched the mag box to get around the short neck the 300 would come alive so here we go again now I needed a 300 H&H mag box or 300Bee plus a follower. Lots of searching and discussion over on 24hr and looking at various parts suppliers. A follow over on the 24hr stepped up again and had everything I need, mag box, follower and bolt stop so I got those also. Waiting for my brass and dies to arrive also.
Looks like the 3-12X42 Vortex will go one top of it when It arrives and the Simmons that's on it will find a new home.
By the time I'm done with it I will have doubled my investment but didn't buy it to resale it.
I got to stop doing this it burns me out and I get brain dead. :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: :grin:

I would have just bought a 300 H and H pre 64 Win and been done already

sorry Rodger, couldn't resist

Best of luck on your project--when finished head back out west and get a moose or elk or both

Europe":2je94oop said:
I would have just bought a 300 H and H pre 64 Win and been done already

sorry Rodger, couldn't resist

Best of luck on your project--when finished head back out west and get a moose or elk or both
April I almost bought a pre64 M70 in 270Win but had already committed to this one.
The 300H&H would have been nice since I always wanted one but what is available I can't afford so I did the next best thing got something that would fit my wallet. :grin:

Back