Tesla stole my bullets...?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
So if I read correctly, there is no more lead being mined in this country. Got me to wondering... I know all these electric cars are not run on led-acid batteries (are they?). But is some portion of my ammo being appropriated for all these batteries? Whatever- the politics are all wrong, not expecting the real answers. But it just occurs to me..... CL

Well, not lead, but you're not wrong in wondering if it strains the bullet industry. If you look up the metal composition of batteries in EV vehicles some batteries have up to 57 lbs of copper in them.

Also the nickel amount. Can run around 100 lbs in 1 battery. I don't know the amount of nickel used in bullets but I believe jacketed bullets are often a nickel/copper alloy. Obviously not including FMJ bullets in that.

Aren’t bullets frequently made from old batteries-part of the recycle process? I don’t know, I’m just asking

Well, not lead, but you're not wrong in wondering if it strains the bullet industry. If you look up the metal composition of batteries in EV vehicles some batteries have up to 57 lbs of copper in them.

Also the nickel amount. Can run around 100 lbs in 1 battery. I don't know the amount of nickel used in bullets but I believe jacketed bullets are often a nickel/copper alloy. Obviously not including FMJ bullets in that.
As far as I know there is hardly any Nickel in jackets.
Usually 90-95% copper and the rest ist Zinc. Unless you go for the Nickel-plated bullets.

Aren't car batteries (for EVs) mostly Lithium?

Normal batteries for combustion cars are lead, though

What I heard was covid shut down the lead mines in utah, and the copper mines in south america. but the US is paying folks not to work so the supply is interupted, if that is truly the case, why can you still get Hornady and Hammer bullets but the others are scarce?

As far as I know there is hardly any Nickel in jackets.
Usually 90-95% copper and the rest ist Zinc. Unless you go for the Nickel-plated bullets.

Aren't car batteries (for EVs) mostly Lithium?

Normal batteries for combustion cars are lead, though

Not according to what I looked at. Mostly NMC batteries, like 3/4 of them. But whether those or the Lithium, they all have substantial weights of copper in them. Lithium EV batteries were actually listed as having the most copper.

O’bummer shut down the last lead smelter we had. His thought of gun control🤪

Friends work at a zinc and lead mine in NE WA. It is smelted in BC Canada a few miles away. The mine is being shut down because of metal prices. Lead is being recycled from batteries and such to the extent it is no longer profitable to mine and smelt it. So lead is still available due to recycling. One of the few profitable forms of recycling at the moment.

There is always a "wrinkle" in the story that smells of bad politics and some one making a profit at some one elses's expense. Capitalism I suppose.... thanks for the thoughts and updates. It behooves us to know. CL

Back