testing nikon's bdc reticle

caribouhunter

Beginner
Mar 31, 2009
hello everyone!
i wanted to give my new nikon with bdc reticle a try today
so i went out with 10 round to give it a try at 400 and 500 yards.
there was a 10 mph wind 45 deg from left/behind. so first i shot a 5 shot group at 400 circling the target with the reticle's 2nd circle, not compensating for wind. trying to get the tightest group possible.
after that i shot another 5 shot group.@ 500 yard but this time shooting into the wind trying to put the shots in the sheet of paper so i gave it 6", but looks like i should have given 8" :oops:
before i bought the scope i read a few reviews on this reticle, and i was surprised to see a lot of people saying that it was next to impossible to group at long range with those circles, that the 2 moa circle being 10" @ 500 yards meant that there was no way to group better than 10" at that distance.
( all those guys didn't try it)
i tought that even if the circle is 10", that doesn't make you wobble in a 10"
circle. i find that it's actually cool to see the target with no crosshair to block the view.
think i'm going to like the setup. when i came back home i gave the ''up'' adjustment 2 clicks as i was only 1,25" high at 100 y. that should put me right on the money,at both distance.

all shot were shot prone on versa-pod bi-pod.
i would get tighter group from a bench, but i use the bench at 100 y. only for load development. once i got my load i shoot like i would hunting.

i'm not that experienced at those distance, so i'm quite excited with the result.

p1040715.jpg

p1040716f.jpg

Those groups look really good to me. Can't see much getting away at 500 yards. I am sure the wind call is out biggest enemy at the longer ranges. Your groups look great though and make me wanna get my 338 out and really try it out at 500 yards.

I put a Buckmasters 4.5x14 with the BDC on a M70 7mm Rem Mag and since my buddy shoots it as his primary rifle, he really likes the circles. They are very useful for hunting. Might not be the best for target shooting, but for hunting deer type targets up to 600 yards, they are pretty useful! Again, great shooting. Looks like you are there. Scotty

For sure that is minute of caribou at that distance. All the more impressive off the bi-pod.

thank you guys!
beretz i tyhink you will like the B&C reticle. the leupy was my first choice
but i had a deal i couldn't pass on the nikon. 8)

Here is some info that may not set well with Nikon optic fans,

I've got a few Nikon scopes and always felt that they were good value for the money. That is until last deer season. Here is what happened:

I had a new Nikon Monarch 3.5x12 BDC scope on a custom .308 that regularly shoots less than .5moa. I had high hopes of taking a good buck at last light on a N. Carolina hunt. Three days into the hunt I get my first chance at a good buck accompanied by two does. The buck enters the field at last light @ about 350 yds. I pick up my rifle and level it off at the deer but can only see a white haze. I initially thought that something was in front of the objective lens but that was not the case. If I looked skyward I could see the clouds clearly but if I pointed the rifle towards the darker field all I could see was a white haze. It got dark quickly and the opportunity was lost.

Here's the best part - I got out of my stand and walked about a 1/2 mile before I ran into another hunter. I was telling the guy this remarkable occurrence and guess what he says. He tells me that the exact same thing happened to him at sunset. I asked him what scope he was using. Surer than shi_ he says that he has a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10.

I can't explain why this happened but it occurred with two Monarchs under the same light conditions at the same time. When I got home I removed the scope and replaced it with a Leupold 4.5x14x50 w/ Boone & Crockett reticle. We'll see how things work out this fall when I get back to N. Carolina.

Ouch, Charlie! That has to hurt. Did you attempt to contact Nikon about your experience?

i had a 80$ simmons 25 years ago that was doing that exact same thing.
at last light while aiming west.
ok your freaking me out now :shock:
i'll try it long before hunting season.
oh no its bear season on may 15 i have to hurry :lol:
thanks for the warning, better test it at home than in the field.

Chunter, is the size of the circles OK with you? I have looked at getting a
M223 for my RRA Var. & one for my son's Nat. Mat. RRA, but I am not sure about the size of the circles.

Try the same thing but use a big red sticky and use the turrets instead of the circles.

caribouhunter

That is some excellent shooting! Good job!

JD338

Back