testshooting the .577/500 H&H

Rigbymauser

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
yesterday I went shooting the gun and had time to experiment. It was very hot in the weather and shooting the rifle made the barrels blistering..

Just before my first shots .

Here the target. I tried at 25 paces offhand first to see if the gun was within minut-of-barndoor.
My very two first shots was on the left target. The last two shot then went right..printing too much to the left. Bare in mind that thisis the first time I actually got this thing going..

After four shots I couldn´t hold unto the barrels.

My load was 70grain Vithavouri 130 + 16mm backerrod as filler. Bullet was 505grain solid and 480grain hollowpoint. Velocity Vo= 532 m/sec regardsless of bullet weight.The shot-to-shot variation was only 7 m/sec(23ft/sec)from both barrels. So the barrels seems to be equal perfect.

Moving on to 80 paces with a 445grain solid my two shots went a little high. I was using shootingstics and rested the rifle directly on the sticks:

The bertram brass I am using is very soft. Some cases couldn`t hold on to the leadbullet and therefore were a Little loose. The RCBS dies I was using squeezes the neck soo much I thought it was meant to shoot .475cal bullets.
I will be ordering Horneber cases and may order a new set of dies. The most importing thing is this that this rifle has potential.

Another good H&H.500express join in too..

We later tried at 100meters shooting prone and offhand. The rifle made handspread Groups to the left of aiming point. I also had one shot printing 4 feet down just 2 inch above the dirt. I suspect such a low velocity because pressure couldn´t build up right..Again due to too soft cases that wouldn´t hold tight onto the bullet.

That is outstanding! Love seeing those big old doubles put to work.

Thanks for sharing!

Guy

They are beautiful, real treasures. I think a little a little more field time wii get you and them in sync. Maybe a couple of 100 rounds off of the bench. That will surely correct the problem. They are beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Those are beautiful rifles. That is some serious horsepower.

JD338

Fascinating stuff. I've never shot the doubles, so it is interesting to me to witness the challenges of loading for them.

Thanks folks!.

Shooting with these old rifles is so many parameters(variables) that must work in context. Just about anything have an influence like the component from bullet lube, lead hardness, lead bullet size and shape, bulletweight, powder, filler, crimping, primer, seating depth to how you hold the gun, two barrels conditions, velocity, etc.
Two barrels makes it more complicated. There is a reason why doublerifles are called "Doubletrouble".

What really surprised me was how hot the barrels get after a few shots each. I ought to have had a glove on my left hand shootin´that thing.
I will keep you all up with further experiments...Its all fun :grin:

Amazing looking rifles. I would love to shoot something like that just once in my lifetime.

Nice! The rifle seems as though it is still regulated and will shoot quite well with the proper bullets?

Oldtrader3":23a7d94x said:
Nice! The rifle seems as though it is still regulated and will shoot quite well with the proper bullets?

I know I am close to find the right load. I believe a slight larger bullet a la .511" or .512" will do it.
I will order some lubesizers here soon with some more stuff....

Very nice old doubles, congrats on the ownership of them

Are these Holland and Holland built rifles ? They look old enough that they would have the original "regulated" loads stamped in the barrel. Obviously those loads are not the loads your attempting to obtain today, but I was still curious what load was stamped into the barrel, if anything.

We also enjoy the old doubles and still use a couple of them somewhat regularly.

Good luck and have fun

Very nice. Those are some cool rifles. Seems like they are plenty accurate for what they are designed for.

I would guess that these rifles were regulated to shoot about 2 inch groups at 50 yards, being a DGR of its time?

Oldtrader3":3g7shkh7 said:
I would guess that these rifles were regulated to shoot about 2 inch groups at 50 yards, being a DGR of its time?

Point on!.

A minut-of-handspread at 100yards or minut-of-dinnerplate at 150yards seems to be the norm for blackpowder Express doublerifles..some might do a slight better.
When writing this I would say(claim) we here today in modern time have acces to a much larger variety of reloading componets that enable to really finetune a load.
Next time I will do a larger rangesession with this rifle i most be a little colder. We have +30-34 degree celcius these days and have had the hottest july in over 140years. The barrels simply becomes too hot after 4 shots.

Back