Thanksgiving Elk

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Well, it is Thanksgiving Day in Canada. Since my wife is gone, I ate a fine meal at a good diner and then went hunting in one of my favourite hunting grounds. Gil (my trusty native guide) and his lovely bride, Susan, came over from Grande Prairie about two this afternoon. Susan and I enjoyed a cup of coffee (Gil is a non-coffee type of fellow (Yuck!)) and then loaded up for a forty-five minute drive to a favourite area. We spoke with some friends briefly where we learned that the area we intended to hunt had a couple hunting already. We opted to go to another nearby area and see what we might see. We found a sizable bachelor herd of mule deer (mule deer open on November 1). Among the herd was an old friend. He is a mature buck that has been a large forkhorn most years. This year, he is a 4 X 3. We've wanted to remove him from the gene pool for some time in order to improve the antler count. He is the largest buck in this area, and he has bred successfully each year. Adding a tine makes him legal, and so I believe he can be removed to improve the herd this year. There are a number of younger bucks with five points or so, but they are not nearly as large. I hope to be in the area on November 1 and tag this big ol' buck.

We travelled on to an area where we have seen quite a few elk in the past, though I've only encountered one young cow there this year. We put out three decoys and doused ourselves with the elixir of elk (Susan gagged and made an awful fuss about the smell, but Gil and I agreed that it was the aroma of the most intensely imaginable pleasures). Despite her reservations about being in the company of such connoisseurs of haute odeur, she managed to stay with Gil. I set up about 80 yards in front and to the left of Gil. He gave a couple of soft mews, and suddenly, there was a spiker standing at the edge of the bush. The little bull surveyed the area, and when he had assured himself that there was nothing untoward in the meadow, he began to graze. He fed for at least thirty minutes, lifting his head occasionally for reassurance that the decoys were still present. We could hear other animals in the woods. As they moved about, there was occasional noise. Each time, the young bull would look behind him and continue grazing. It was a good sign that there were other elk present.

After about thirty minutes, suddenly there was a cow, and another, coming out of the bush, eager to feed. Right behind them was a nice young bull--a 5X5. I was carrying my 270 WSM, loaded with my hunting load built around the 130 grain E-Tip. I launch these bullets at 3250 fps, and they give me a consistent 0.4 inch group. He moved briskly across my front, following the cows. Immediately behind him was a mule deer doe, who looked toward the field and then stepped back into the bush. Behind her were three whitetail. I carefully settled the crosshairs of my scope on the bull, waiting for the best shot. I had ranged landmarks in the area, and he would pass 176 yards in front of me if he maintained the course he was on. He paused, momentarily hidden from Gil's view, but perfectly broadside for me. I aimed for the point of the shoulder, and gently squeezed the trigger. It was a picture perfect shot. The whitetail gave alarm snorts for almost a full minutes after the shot. The other elk milled about, uncertain what had just happened, taking at least fifteen seconds before they finally slipped back into the bush. The bull turned, took perhaps two steps, and toppled to his left. He did not move again.

At that, Gil gave me a thumbs up, stood up and began to walk toward the elk. As we walked, he asked me why I waited so long to pull the trigger. "Well," I responded, "I saw those whitetail, and I was thinking I might just be able to get a two-fer this evening." "Don't get greedy," he snorted. It was good for a laugh.

Here is the bull. Susan took some photos, and I'll post one or two of her photos when she forwards them to me. I will have one with Gil in the picture. He is a special friend, just like a son to me, and is almost always there when I drop game.

PA100265.jpg

I recovered the bullet this time. It punched the near shoulder, passing just under the spine and stopping just beneath the flesh on the opposing shoulder. The recovered weight is 128.96 grains (over 99% weight retention) and the bullet expanded to 0.600 inches at the broadest point.

PA100271.jpg

PA100270.jpg

PA100269.jpg

I am truly thankful for this Thanksgiving elk. Oh, friends told me there is a nice little porky forky moose hanging around, and moose opens again on the fifteenth, unless I want to take my crossbow to see if I can get him with that.

Holy smokes Mike! Awesome bull buddy! Excellent performance from that 270WSM as well. Can't ask for more than that! Great shooting. Man, now I am getting amped to hunt. Scotty

I trust your Thanksgiving was blessed and joyous, Gerry. Scotty, I knew that seeing a bull would get you amped. Wait until you have one circling in behind some cows while you and Brian are in Oregon. Your 7mm WSM will work nicely. I was, however, quite pleased with the performance of this 270 WSM. I've only taken two head of game with this rifle and load (a moose and an elk), but it has performed admirably in either instance.

Good looking bull Mike; just the picture made my mouth water. :grin: Congrats also on a gorgeous rifle, terrific load and picture-perfect performance from that ET!

Thanks, guys, for the kind words. Having an elk in the cooler lifts a weight off my shoulders. I'll keep a little, but most of this will go to my daughter and six grandchildren and a single mom in our congregation. That is part of my big push to tag some more game, and work keeps intruding.

Mike,

Congratulations on a dandy bull. He will be a good eater for sure.
Nice bullet catch too.

JD338

Nice work doc! That is a fine bull, and it looks like that 130 ET worked as well as anything could have. Sounds like that elk will be put to good use as well. Good for you!

Congratulations, Brother Mike. I know the recipients, from your family to the members of your congregation, will be blessed with some great eating!

DrMike":9o6qh0hj said:
I trust your Thanksgiving was blessed and joyous, Gerry. Scotty, I knew that seeing a bull would get you amped. Wait until you have one circling in behind some cows while you and Brian are in Oregon. Your 7mm WSM will work nicely. I was, however, quite pleased with the performance of this 270 WSM. I've only taken two head of game with this rifle and load (a moose and an elk), but it has performed admirably in either instance.

Mike, you have no idea. I am going to begin packout this week for Oregon and will start putting all of the gear together in the rig. I am looking forward to this hunt more than a brown bear hunt in the Yukon! The 7WSM may get some use out there. I guess I will judge from the terrain on what rifle I will be toting. The 270WSM and that 7WSM are some impressive rifles for certain and I am lucky and blessed to have a matched pair of them!

I am sure that meat is going to be eaten with alot of pride from your daughter and member of your flock. Nothing more satisfying than wild animals in the cooler and not relying on the grocery store for chow. It is my goal to live that way!

Jake- this has to get you a little pumped to get your Winchester ready to go. Maybe you should hit Mike up for his load, might give you a quick load that you can start slaying some deer with! Scotty

Jake, I'm loading 59.5 grains of RL17 and using WLR primers. The case is Norma, although Winchester brass gives me the same velocity and pressure profile with this load. Velocity out of my Model 70 is 3260 fps. I'm loading 0.100 inches off the lands. The moose I took with this load was less than forty yards. This elk was at 176 yards. I'm quite pleased with this load and with the performance of the E-Tip on large game.

Scotty, I'm certain that either your 270 WSM or your 7mm WSM will work very well on Oregon elk. Either will pack some punch and give you some reach should you need it. Your chosen bullets are sufficiently potent to take the stress of a close shot if required. I'm certain you and Brian are going to have a ton of fun. Man, I wish I could be there just to watch Brian as he absorbs the west for the first time.

DrMike":1u881tj4 said:
Scotty, I'm certain that either your 270 WSM or your 7mm WSM will work very well on Oregon elk. Either will pack some punch and give you some reach should you need it. Your chosen bullets are sufficiently potent to take the stress of a close shot if required. I'm certain you and Brian are going to have a ton of fun. Man, I wish I could be there just to watch Brian as he absorbs the west for the first time.

Mike, I just wished you could see when Brian a full on tackle is received! I am just amped to get on the road.. Scotty

I'm certainly pulling for you fellows. Go get 'em, Scotty.

DrMike":2ow9dvp5 said:

I was kinda cold to the idea of driving out to Oregon. I thought Scotty was nutty and not a great idea. But that has change since we will be able to take more gear and to see the west. I have yet to see Montana and can't wait! So not a bad idea at all but Scotty is still nutty :lol:

Back