Handloader
Apr 15, 2013
my new rifle has arrived and boy was I excited bringing it home! :grin:

Ruger M77 now chambered in 280 Ackley

High Tech Specialties stock

Leupold VX-2 2-7 with the LR Deuplex

I believe it's a Pachmayr pad on it

threaded muzzle brake

loaded it up with nosler brass, 58.5 grains of H4831, and 140 grain nosler BT's and had maybe 1.5-2" group at 100 yards which for me isn't bad and for my first time shooting the rifle and only loading 5 rounds of 1 powder/COAL and doing it pretty quick before it got dark... well I certainly won't complain

next nice day will start the 160AB load development for bear season & then deer season at the end of the month....

Attachments

• P1080556.JPG
    P1080556.JPG
    690.9 KB · Views: 491
  • P1080557.JPG
    P1080557.JPG
    721.6 KB · Views: 491
  • P1080558.JPG
    P1080558.JPG
    725.6 KB · Views: 491
Congrats on the new 280 AI! I like your choice of scopes too, simple but effective. Did you go with the factory tube or a new one? You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a good load, good luck.

Congratulations! That is a great cartridge that will get 'er done.

Tim that is a beautiful rifle & a great calibre!!
Just wonder if a factory barrel or did you place a custom on it.
Making me real anxious for mine to be ready:).

Blessings,
Dan

i'm not sure on the barrel, i will have to ask my brother-in-law/gunsmith

when he said he was willing to build me some rifles we sat down had some discussions about what I wanted to hunt, and that I wanted some over-lap between the 2 in case my father & I decided to go on a hunt somewhere together or just for my own use always having a backup so we decided on a lighter-weight 280AI and a 338-06AI

then I pretty much left it up to him for sourcing parts, he would ask me some questions (color, barrel taper, sights, LOP, ect... ) and then go with it, which was nice for someone like myself that doesn't know fine rifles let alone custom

Not too many guys build a semi-custom Ruger M77. I love mine in 300 winny. My Remington 270 win I would like to re-barrle in 280 AI, so I'm interested in your build if you could talk a bit more about it.

Nothing wrong with a 2x7 scope, but it's funny I've been agonizing if my Leupold VXII 3x9 was enough for a 280 AI build. I was thinking more along the lines of a 3.5x10, or 4.5x14.

Cool rig! :mrgreen:

Very nice rifle Tim. Looks ready to go! That should be a very nice rifle for them danged Northern bucks!

Back