The coyotes schooled me yesterday

ACLakey

Beginner
Aug 11, 2008
I went to an area where I had archery hunted and heard and saw a lot of dogs earlier this year. Around here the coyotes aren't very vocal and usually come in silent. We made two stands and nothing, at the end of our third stand I tried a female invitation howl and the country lit up with three different groups of dogs howling like mad. I couldn't get them closer than 100 yards and it was too thick to see anything. Stands 4,5,6 were the same with them going nuts to the female howl. The last stand in the afternoon the wind kicked up and we headed home with out seeing a dog. It was a learning experience to say the least.

Sounds like your having a good time though! Hope you can connect next time. Scotty

I find them to be the most challenging of hunts. We only hunt them in the woods though and prairie scenarios seem to be different. I have found coyotes to be extremely sensitive to noise, scent, call saturation, Ballistic Tips and V-Maxes. :lol:

From what I remember, from the one and only time I was in Klamath Falls, you have a mix of farmland valleys and low mountains. I recall wishing I had more time to hunt the hills in that area but I was there with work and that opportunity didn't occur.

Those yodel dogs are not push-overs. We've all been there. You'll surely connect the next time.

Don't feel bad, my buddy and I went out Saturday did three stands and had to go. Not one coyote.

Corey

I may head back to that area in the future but this weekend I will be closer to home. A rancher buddy called me up and wants some coyotes killed. They are killing livestock and even killed his lab out of his yard last weekend.

Back