The ultimate mule deer and antelope rifle?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What is your idea of the ultimate long range (within reason) deer/antelope gun?

What would your setup consist of?

caliber rifle scope and maybe load?

My 257 weatherby christensen arms topped with a mark 4 4.5-14 flinging 110 accubonds at 3400++

Although if I was starting fresh I might go back to the 270 wsm that I had that is one great round does anything the 7mag will do and not beat you up

If you go the custom route a 6.5-06 would get my vote of course topped with a Leupold

We'll see when I get ti up and running, but I'm hoping my SPS .257 Weatherby fills that role. I STILL haven't put a scope on it... eventually, I'd like a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 RZ800 on it, or maybe a Minox 3-15x. I already have a McMillan McSwirley Remington Classic stock for it, and a stack of bullets, Scirocco IIs, TTSX, AccuBond, and Partitions and Game Kings left over from my .25-06.

DSC_3170.jpg

For me, its my M700 Custom chambered in 280 AI shooting 140 gr AB's at 3200 fps.
Scope is a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36mm with M1 dials.
IMG_0315.jpg

JD338

Rem 700 BDL SS action, 28" Mike Rock 5R stainless/fluted, sendero contour w/brake, 1-8" twist, NF rings/20 MOA base, NF 5.5-22x50 w/npr-1 reticle, caliber.......6.5 STW shooting a 140g AMAX or VLD at around 3300fps or so.

Some nice ideas so far................

For me, it would be my 7mmRUM. Currently shooting 150ETs at 3200fps. It's sporting a VX-3 4.5-14x40.

Fortunately, I already own my first choice. I would pick my Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow Camo chambered in 270 WSM. It is a great rifle to pack around and is pretty much impervious to weather. I have a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5 X 14 LR with the Boone and Crockett reticle on it. I shoot the 110 grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shock at 3600 fps.

Well, right now it would be my 280 AI shooting the 160 AB. Savage 110, 24" Pac-Nor 3 groove, stainless, supermatch. I would love to top it with a Conquest 3.5-10x44 W rapid z800. Soon to be wearing a McMillan. She'll be going from Ugly Betty to just plain Betty.

I just picked up a Rem 700 ADL 7 mag with a 26" barrel yesterday though and am thinking about having it rechambered to a 7 STW! The kid was getting into bow hunting, and selling his rifle. Doesn't have a scratch on it. Would top it with 4.5-14x40LR VX-III and have some turrets installed.

My .243 isn't my ideal idea of a long range deer/antelope rifle, but it should be ok out to 400-500yds. I'd like to build a 6mm-06 Ackley Improved one day, 90grn E-tips at 3800fps or 80grn Tipped TSXs at 4000fps should knock 'em down pretty good :shock: Hard to argue with a good 7 mag though or 7 STW.

My idea was my M700 25-06 CDL! I have pillar bedded it, and bedded the recoil lug. My plan is to put a 4.5x14-40mm VX3 with the 30mm tube with the B&C reticle on it. I would like to run 115gr BT's or PT's out of it in the 3200 range! That was the the idea from the start. Scotty

Undoubtedly, the ultimate mule deer and antelope rifle would be a 25-06 in a Winchester Super Grade. Top that with a Leupold 4.5-14 VX3, and off you go.

It all depends on how you intend to hunt with it, POP. If your hunting will involve a lot of hiking and the rifle's weight is a concern, I'd go with a stock Mark V synthetic/Fibermark action, in a B&C medalist stock, in 270Wby or 7mmWby. Either of those is going to reach out a long ways, and the rifle won't be too heavy to tote all day at around 8.5-9lbs loaded and ready to hunt. Top it with a 4-16 class (perhaps a 4.5-14x44 Conquest) scope with excellent glass and you'd be set.

If you're talking about a rifle that won't be hauled around a lot, but would instead be used for shorter hikes, and hunted from stands close to the truck, I'd opt for what I have in my head as a "walking beanfield rifle." I'd build a 7mmWSM in a Vanguard or Winchester action (longer COAL's possible than a Remmy action) and give it a pretty stout barrel, something like a 3.5-4 contour if the stock Accumark/Sendero barrels are considered #3. I'd flute it very deeply and with about ten grooves, and then skeletonize or lighten every part of the gun I could. Top it with a 4-16 or a 6-24 with target style turrets, and drop it into some sort of wide-forearmed synthetic "varminter-style" stock with a full length aluminum bedding block. All set up and ready to shoot, I'd be at 10-11lbs, and it would be workable for short hikes and walks out to stands on power line easements or big fields. I wouldn't want to carry it into the mountains for a ten day hunt, though.

Bear in mind that my experience is all east of the Mississippi, so I may not be dreaming of the best suited rifle for hunting in Wyo where you are.

Mike, that felt like a low blow, but I am not just sure yet! Your right though. Pop has given me nightmares for the next month with just a copy and paste of his finger! Scotty

Just looking out for your interest, Scotty. :)

All seriousness aside, I would think that there is such a variety of rifles that qualify as excellent mule deer and antelope rifles that it would be well nigh impossible to pick the ultimate. The 25-06 would be right up there, however. I would think that the 6.5-284, the 270 WSM and the the 7mm WSM might be in contention, as would the 257 Wby. On the larger end of the stick, the 308 would be no slouch in seeking the ultimate long-range rifle. There are a lot of rifles in between those extremes that would qualify in the hands of an expert marksman.

Ruger #1B 6mm Remington fitted with a Harris pivoting bi-pod shooting 100 gr. Nosler Partitions at about 3100 fps or a bit more, with a 6X-42mm Leupold on it. Might have to try the 90 gr. E-tips or Accubonds though to see how they shoot although I can get groups as tight as .35 to .40 at 100 yards with just the 6 power scope! :grin:

For MY son, Ruger MKII 6mm Remington with a 4.5x14-40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle shooting 90 gr. Nosler E-tips, Harris bi-pod, 3180 fps! :mrgreen:

I'm thinking a 6.5-06 would be high on my list...but for now my 7mm RM is the best thing going in my arsenal.

Back