The updated Tikka T3x

There are some nice rifles being produced by Tikka today. Which iteration are you looking at, Gerry?

Probably the Lite stainless or possibly even the Hunter stainless. Something a little bit bigger to compliment her 6.5x55 but still low in recoil for her such as a 308 Win or one of my favorites the 8x57. Both of those shoot 160 - 180 gr bullets but still won't kick bad. A 7mm-08 or 270 Win could be an option too with 150 - 160 gr bullets.

All fine choices, to be sure. I really like the 8X57. I've done load workup for a couple. A fine cartridge.

I'm looking into getting one also Gerry, not sure on the caliber yet though, it's going to be either a hunter stainless or stainless fluted for sure, I called Shayne at stoeger Canada and left him a message on when they'll have them in 8) ..I've pretty much changed all the polymere on my current Tikka T3 including aluminum bolt shroud, stainless steel recoil lug and hard anodized aluminum trigger guard unit as well, the darn 300 win mag is a tack driver for sure! (y)

Lou :wink:

Gerry,

It's too bad they don't offer the 338 Federal as they used to. It would have been a great choice for your wife with the 180/185 gr loads.

Another great choice would be the 9.3 x 63 with 250 gr bullets, if she can feel comfortable with the recoil; but a lighter/reduced load could be an option.

The improved recoil pad will certainly be a benefit to the T3!

I've always thought they are a great value.

You should consider stepping up to a 30 cal. The 7mm-08 really doesn't offer much over the Swede. A 30-06 or 300WSM could give you more versatility with not quite as much overlap. Just a thought.

Back