Think I killed my last RL 26

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I opened up my last lb of RL-26 to make some test rounds for the 280 AI. When I finished there was about 1 cup of powder left in the powder measure, I grabbed the funnel and dumped it back in it’s original bottle. About the time the last few grains drained out, it hit me I used the wrong funnel. I have 2 funnels , a white and a red. Red is for powder, white for whatever. I had earlier used the white funnel to pour eliminator bore cleaner from the big bottle to a small one for the bench. Although it was a very thin film in the funnel, my guess is the whole pound, except for the 10 rounds I made up, is now contaminated. Ugh, I knew better and usually the funnel would have been cleaned and put away before i started working with powder.

You guys should try Imr 7828ssc as a replacement. You might be surprised that they behave similar.

Despite what Alliant says RL26 has never been slower burning than RL25 and acts more like it should have been called "Reloder 24".

You guys should try Imr 7828ssc as a replacement. You might be surprised that they behave similar.

Despite what Alliant says RL26 has never been slower burning than RL25 and acts more like it should have been called "Reloder 24".
Yep, but I think the appeal of RL-26 to most guys is it's high bulk density that makes it useful in cartridges with less case capacity than the magnums.

Yep, but I think the appeal of RL-26 to most guys is it's high bulk density that makes it useful in cartridges with less case capacity
than the magnums.
7828ssc is similar in bulk density.

You should try it.

I've got about a pound and a half of RL26. It's a great powder in Sue's 30 Nosler.

JD338

You can possibly look at Ramshot Magnum, I like it in my 7mm Rem Mag and Powder Valley finally got the 8lb jugs back in stock so I grabbed one yesterday. It is close to RE26 on the burn chart just a touch slower.

:oops: 30 lashes for you young man, and hot dogs and applesauce only for Thanksgiving. Ha! No, I can't talk none. I could write a book on the dumb things I've done already. Shame but stuff happens.

Tell you what though, before you let it sit in there and perculate, I'd take a cup and a half to 2 cups off the top and use the rest. It's not like you had fresh wet bore cleaner in the funnel, and the cup you poured on top will sit on top. Now let it sit in there mixed for months, then yeah........otherwise I bet what's underneath didn't hurt a thing.

Ramshot magnum is great and available. Brownell's has it. Works great in my 378 Bee...talk about a cavernous case! Also velocity is way up there

0v160vr.jpg

You can possibly look at Ramshot Magnum, I like it in my 7mm Rem Mag and Powder Valley finally got the 8lb jugs back in stock so I grabbed one yesterday. It is close to RE26 on the burn chart just a touch slower.
Yes similar burning rate

RL 26------ 0.3397
RS Magnum-----0.345

Yes similar burning rate

RL 26------ 0.3397
RS Magnum-----0.345
Sweet! Never crossed my mind to try it in the 280AI. I have several pounds of it, and Ramshot stuff is easy to snatch up right now. Might be really good with the 160+ weight bullets.

Last edited:
Back