Thinking about a new press, How much of one do I need?

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
So I have been reloading with an older Lee anniversary Challenger press I got probably 25 years ago or more. I have been thinking about getting an upgrade but not sure what or if I really need one. I currently reload 243(hornady dies) , 260(rcbs), 25-06(rcbs), 30-30(rcbs) and 357/38(rcbs). I am not necking anything down from different brass right now but may start making 25-06 from 30-06.
When I started researching a new one I realized that nothing is really wrong with the one I have, and what advantages am I going to get with a new one? Am I going to want something heavier duty if I am necking down the 30-06? What are the thoughts? And weather I need one or not what would you recommend for a good single stage press?( more importantly which ones to stay away from)

If your press is making accurate ammo for you then I'm not sure if getting a different one will do anything for you. Some people like to set up one press for seating only and the other one for other duties so there is that. I'm in the same situation as you only difference is that it's an RCBS Reloader special 5 that is also somewhere around 25 years old, It just plain works well and I'm pleased with it. One area of upgrade you might consider is getting a good powder measure if you don't have one. That's on my list for future purchases.

gerry":ms50f1ro said:
If your press is making accurate ammo for you then I'm not sure if getting a different one will do anything for you. Some people like to set up one press for seating only and the other one for other duties so there is that. I'm in the same situation as you only difference is that it's an RCBS Reloader special 5 that is also somewhere around 25 years old, It just plain works well and I'm pleased with it. One area of upgrade you might consider is getting a good powder measure if you don't have one. That's on my list for future purchases.

Yes I have upgraded some to the components that came in the kit, ie scale and powder measure. And I do like the priming by hand so dont need an auto prime on the press.

The primary advantage of a new press is that it is new. Really, it won't do anything you're not already doing. Still, we all have that itch that needs to be scratched from time-to-time. Gerry is spot on in his analysis, btw.

I've been using a RCBS Rockchucker O frame press for over 40 years. Loaded everything from 221 Fireball to 460 Wby mag. It still works as good as new. I'm currently loading precision ammo for my custom rifles in that old press.

I had a RCBS reloader spec 2 used for 30 yrs . Was working fine just thought I would upgrade to a Rockchucker when I came across a good deal. Dan.

If it ain't broke don't try to fix it. I have an old Pacific Power C that my buddy used for years and I have used it about 15 years and it is still going strong. I have an RCBS JR 2 sitting in the bull pin just in case. I picked it up for $20 about 10 years ago in a yard sale and it looks almost new. I got it because of the price and thinking that I might need it to re-form some cases like making 264 Win mag out of 7mm Rem mag and 30x47s our of 300 Savage or 308 Win but the old Pacific does it with ease. My first press was the first year production of the Lee turret but I used it as a single stage press and wore it out and they replaced it free. A few years later I got the Pacific from my buddy that had to upgrade to the RCBS Rockchucker when he went through is 7mm STW faze because the Pacific was too short. I gave my Lee turret press to a friend to load his Sharps 45-110 ammo on. Those suckers a looooooog and the Lee has all the room in the world.

I have a RCBS Rockchucker that I seldom use anymore. This one has plenty of power if your forming brass.
I also have a Lee Classic turret press that now does all my handgun loading.
But all my rifle loading is now done with a 40+ year old Lyman Spartan press that has seen better days. The loading process I use is based on case alignment and die set up. I get it by using what I call a "Floating" set up. Meaning the die is trued as close as possible and locked down, then everything else floats to seek alignment with the die, the expander is removed. The shellholder is cleaned and left loose so it can move and center the case. Case neck sizing and expansion is done in a separate operation with the die loose so the expander ball can find the center of the case neck and not bend it off center. Seating is done with an inline seater.
I want my ram to have some movement and that's why I use a woreout press.
In my old M700 7mag. I have several loads that consistently shoot 1/2" and under. This rifle never shot that good with a rigid press.
So I think almost any press can produce accurate rounds but you may need to change your process a little to get them.
When I worked for the Air Force I was a Tool and Die maker and worked Optical tooling and alignment. I just incorporated some of the techniques we used into my loading process.

I keep eyeballing the MEC Marksman. I'd really like to try that "self centering shell holder technology" but I always seem to have too many other "needs" in front of it on my "gotta have" list. :grin:

Several things I like about the press but I'd sure like to SEE one first hand before pressing the "order" button. Seems to be getting high marks in reviews......but I'm a picky ol' buzzard.

I keep wondering if new and improved things are "improved".......or a hook to get me to buy one. :wink:

(and I'm tight) :lol:

God Bless
Steve

I primary loader is a Herters "C" type press manufactured in the 60's and 70's. I have two operating and one for parts, I have single loaded thousands of rounds with this press and its as tight as it was 50+ years ago. I also have a Lyman press with the moveable turret, that I use for pistol ammo. My motto is "if it works, don't touch it, change it, or modify it in any way".

Elkman":196blc4g said:
I primary loader is a Herters "C" type press manufactured in the 60's and 70's. I have two operating and one for parts, I have single loaded thousands of rounds with this press and its as tight as it was 50+ years ago. I also have a Lyman press with the moveable turret, that I use for pistol ammo. My motto is "if it works, don't touch it, change it, or modify it in any way".

I have been using a Forster Coax for about 10 years and I can't find much reason to change for the majority of my loading work. I added a Redding T7 awhile back for doing low volume pistol and some rifle reloading that I don't wanna spin up my progressive for. I could really do everything I'd ever want with the COAX though.

Started out with an RCBS Partner press that still works, but kinda just collects dust these days.

Others have said--no reason to get a new press to make higher quality ammunition. The one you have now will do everything you need!

But that doesn't mean I'm not telling you to get a new one. Maybe you just want one, and that may be enough reason. Maybe there's something about yours that's always annoyed you.

I started with a Lee Classic Cast, still have it, it's about 10 years old (so pretty new still). I'm not in the market for a new one, but if I were I would get the Forster.

My RCBS Rockchucker is over 30 years old and still works perfectly.

However, I have added a couple of presses for different chores.

1. I needed a small arbor press to use with the Wilson BR type dies I wanted to use for neck sizing only & high precision. So I got a small RW Hart arbor press, at least 10 years ago, probably closer to 15 years ago. It is superb for the task intended:
UibHE7Pl.jpg

2. A few years ago Fotis sold me his lightly used Lyman turret press. I had intended it for knocking out modest quantities of 38 Special & 44 Magnum handgun ammo. It worked great for that. Then... I decided to try it for loading rifle ammo... 30-06, 308 Win, 375 H&H, and recently 6 Creedmoor... Umm. The ammo is turning out great, and my production rate is faster than I'd anticipated. Hmmm. I kinda like this little turret press. I can only imagine that Lyman's newer version and the Redding T7 are even better! I was surprised by the turret press and like it very much.
xJVpQVdl.jpg

If you'd like the lowdown on quite a few different presses, you might want to check out the Ultimate Reloader web site. It's owned by my friend Gavin who tests and critiques quite a few different reloading products, including various presses. He's made some very good videos re handloading:
http://ultimatereloader.com/

Regards, Guy

Nice presses Guy, I really like that Hart arbor press and the Lyman turret press looks really cool too..

I'm still using my 30 year old Rockchukker (Works perfectly) for everything except some specific bullet seating that I use my Harrell (Basic but works fine) arbor press for.

I've had several presses, and never word one out. I had two separate RCBS Rock Chucker presses. They both worked flawlessly, though I eventually let both go. I now have an RCBS Partner press, which may go eventually. My grandson currently has it in his possession. I have for active work (?), a Forster Co-Ax press (I had another and sold it to a friend) and a Redding T-7. These have worked without a glitch for a number of years. It seems almost impossible to think that a press can be worn out. They are all made to last.

DrMike":1ra8e4o0 said:
I've had several presses, and never word one out. I had two separate RCBS Rock Chucker presses. They both worked flawlessly, though I eventually let both go. I now have an RCBS Partner press, which may go eventually. My grandson currently has it in his possession. I have for active work (?), a Forster Co-Ax press (I had another and sold it to a friend) and a Redding T-7. These have worked without a glitch for a number of years. It seems almost impossible to think that a press can be worn out. They are all made to last.

Absolutely DrMike, all the decent presses will indeed virtually last for ever.
In fact apart from Lee presses which do the job, but break easier than the rest, I’ve never ever come across any press being worn out.
They will all make decent ammunition but it’s always the operator that decides how it turns out.

Take a hard look at the new Frankford Arsenal Press looks very well made. If I did not have a T-7 and had more room that would be my choice.

I use my CO-AX the most. Have a Rock Chucker I bought used in the 80s I still use for Black powder. and a Dillon set up for 10mm.

Back