This has me stumped.

Fotis,
The 250 gr PT is an accurate bullet.
Out of my 338RUM, I'm getting groups in the.4's.

JD338

JD338":1z93t0x3 said:
Fotis,

IMHO, the fast 338's beg for the 250 GR bullets. I'd give the
250 GR AB and 250 GR PT a try.

JD338
My thought too. Why shoot at 210 or 225 from 338???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD338":5zsk266i said:
Fotis,
The 250 gr PT is an accurate bullet.
Out of my 338RUM, I'm getting groups in the.4's.

JD338

I will try everything I can JD the 250 AB's you gave me are next along with the lighter flat based ones

FOTIS":2m3uuv9p said:
This is what I am thinking. The scope is a proven 3x15 Super Sniper SWFA in Talley rings. I might try the 225 AB's again at maybe 40-inch lbs of torque just to see if there is a difference, and various 210 PT and 225 Sierras just to see.

Hey, worst case scenario she goes back to WBY. They are guaranteed to shoot well right?

If I remember correctly Weatherby offers 1 1/2 3 shot group unless it's a RC accumark. When my 338-378 would barely do 1 1/2 Weatherby didn't even want it sent in as it met their guarantee. I hope your rifle ends up shooting better than the one I had.
I hate to say this but have you tried and factory 225's?

no factories yet. If I can buy 3 or 5 fine but I am not fessing up 160 bux for 20

Now all bees are 1" or less

FOTIS":1s22qixl said:
no factories yet. If I can buy 3 or 5 fine but I am not fessing up 160 bux for 20

I can't imagine paying that much for 20 rounds. Crazy.

Well I can't afford to shoot that thing then lol. I feel your pain though on not getting a bullet to shoot! I have been struggling with SST's in my 6.5 CM. It shoots practically everything well under an inch. Throw some SST's in and it's like a 2" gun. They are just a paper weight now I completely gave up on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FOTIS":yxoaeah8 said:

FOTUS,

Grafs has Wby 250 NPTs on sale:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/73413

If it won't shoot those accurately,
You could make a good case to possibly send it back for a tune-up???
If it does, keep the remaining portion as a standard if
you have any accuracy problems in future.

Sending back is not an issue. I am a ........frequent flyer there if you know what I mean! :wink:

SJB358":iy51a1cr said:
FOTIS":iy51a1cr said:
Yup no dice. Will be trying some flat based bullets.

Gotcha. Sometimes a rifle just hates a bullet. No amount of sweat, powder or demon unleashing will make them change :lol:
This has always been my number one rule, and with both issues! The barrel will in the end dictate what it likes best! I learned that from Kenny Jarrett over 20 years ago, and I still look for that first vs. wasting my time with powders, or OAL.

Good Luck until then FOTIS!

we will know by the end of this weekend fellas!

First I will shoot the 225 Accubonds at 40 inch /LBS of torque just to satisfy my curiosity. Then a load of 210 and 225 flat based bullets. If all do 3-5 inches, which have been the norm then back it goes to WBY.

For the amount of extra powder i am not real sure my .338-378 accumark outdoes my.340 a whole lot,both have 26 " barrels plus a brake,at 400 yards bullet drop is about 2.5" inch difference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

wlhicks264":q8vvblbr said:
Have you shot 250 grain partitions yet?

none on hand. I will try the others on hand. I mean if a total of 3 to 4 different bullets shoot 3-4" at 100 yards then I would think it is a gun problem.

It may be finicky,seems like the large case capacity cartriges sometimes shoot best at max. I use federal 215 mag primers in .338 -378 and .340, i kind of got hung up on 250 partitions from my time in alaska,they shot good and performed good on game. I shot more game with those bullets in a .338 win mag than in my other338 diameter guns,sometimes more velocity from a .340 ,338-378,.338 rum can do bad things to lightly constructed bullets on close range shots at large animals

Fwiw... I have a 340 Weatherby that is not impressed much with anything lighter than 250 grain bullets. It really really likes 250 grain partitions and 250 Hornady Spire point.

had a 338 win not shoot 225 abs period. made no sense went to a flat based 230 gr failsafe and all was well. then tried 210 scirrocos and was even better. some are just finicky

Back