This has me stumped.

Fired the 225 Sierra pro hunters yesterday. With Imr 7828 the best group was 1.5 inches.
With H1000 it put 2 in 1 hole another .7" inches away and a fourth .8 inches way but on the opposite side.

Evidently, there is hope I guess.

This is exactly what the group looked like.

OH BTW I screwed up the torque. WBY suggests 50-55 lbs on the stock screws, not 65 as I thought. So I tighten them to 50-inch lbs.

Attachments

• 338.jpg
    338.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,523
well there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Yeah torque can stress the action and throw everything off.
Did you do the ladder or just throw something together after you changed the torque values?

truck driver":2jrl2yl3 said:
Did you do the ladder or just throw something together after you changed the torque values?

Just threw something together Rodger.

I am a little skeptical of a system using differences of .2 or .3 grains between loads in a case that has 137 grains capacity.

Just do not think it will make a difference.....maybe I am wrong

FOTIS":1l7ghcmw said:
truck driver":1l7ghcmw said:

I am a little skeptical of a system using differences of .2 or .3 grains between loads in a case that has 137 grains capacity.

With that big a case I'd bet you could easily do .5 or probably .8-1 with that monster.

Call me weird but at a hundred 11 grains of h1000 I'm right AT 3150 with a 225s which is Max or thereabouts. Now if I reload something that gives me 2950 or 2970 feet per second and it shoots like a house of fire I can do that with my 340 Weatherby so why own it in the first place. Maybe I'm not just thinking okay could be not the first time I was wrong

It's nearly impossible for a stable rifle to shoot 3"+ groups at 100yds IMO. My guess is that it's the rifle, bedding or scope/mts.
I'd be inclined to ask the previous owner how the rifle performed for him, if that's possible.

FOTIS":2bvkhw71 said:
Call me weird but at a hundred 11 grains of h1000 I'm right AT 3150 with a 225s which is Max or thereabouts. Now if I reload something that gives me 2950 or 2970 feet per second and it shoots like a house of fire I can do that with my 340 Weatherby so why own it in the first place. Maybe I'm not just thinking okay could be not the first time I was wrong
My 338Win was setting me in fits when I first got it and tried everything including a new stock since it came in the factory plastic stock. Bought a Hogue stock from Earl that was pillar bedded and put on the barreled action and it shot a little better but not consistent. I was ready to sell it and look for something else when I ran a cross a H&S Precision stock with the full bedding block and bolted that on. Boy what a difference that made.
I'm not saying a new stock is needed but there could be a bedding problem. If the lowly 338Win was torquing hard enough to loosen screws and causing the stock to flex when shooting with 70 couple grains of powder I can't even imagine what 110grs of powder under a 225gr is doing and the heavier the bullet the worse it would be.
If your set on getting it to shoot and want to invest more money in it I would restock it with one of the stocks with a full metal bedding block.
If not send it back to Weatherby or put it on GB and send it down the road. JMO

SJB358":1thxqyxe said:
FOTIS":1thxqyxe said:
truck driver":1thxqyxe said:

With that big a case I'd bet you could easily do .5 or probably .8-1 with that monster.

One percent change is a standard for stepping up a charge. In a standard cartridge, 0.5 grains is near enough that the charge is convenient. With these big cases, at least a differential of one grain is mandated to see a significant pressure differential.

Fotis,

Silly question I know but how clean is the bore?
My 338 RUM shoots fantastic for the first 20-25 rounds and than its terrible.
Scrub the bore and then I'm back in business. Just a thought.......

JD338

I havent shot anything but flat base250 partitions in my accumark 338-378, only bullets i have on hand are 3 boxes250 partitions,1 box250 bergers ,1 box of 200grain x barnes,1 185 x barnes . Most of places hear on north arkansas do not carry much larger bore stuff. I will try some 250 accubonds if i find some also 225 accubonds .the weatherby factory 250 partitions have shot best so far,i hope i dont get same results as you with boattails,i will load some bergers and see if i can get them to group

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Hello all! Been a while since I've been on. I'm thinking it's rate of twist that could be throwing the lighter bullets off. Try using heavier bullets and see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Back