Those who know please tell me?

ElmerThud

Handloader
Jul 16, 2011
I've used my old Rockchukker for many years & there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it...but, I have a bit of an itch.
I keep thinking I should buy a Forster Co-ax!

Should I?
What might I gain?
Is it really going to be any better?
Produce better ammunition?

If it's so good, I can recover some of the outlay from the sale of my existing press, still fetching good money here in the UK

Over here a Forster is the heavy part of $650
Cheers, ET

Wish I could help you ET but I have never used a Foster. I'm using a RCBS R3 which is the lighter weight cousin of the rock chucker. From what I under stand the Foster is the most powerful press on the market with leverage to size and form brass for wild cats along with ease of changing dies.
And again I don't own one but a inline arbor press is suppose to be the best for making the most accurate ammo with Wilson dies.
If it were me I'd keep the Rock Chucker but if you have the itch go for the Foster.

ET, I've had my Forster since about 2005/2006 I believe. I like it a whole lot. It sizes with very little effort and it allows the die to float which should aid in concentricity. I actually wouldn't mind a second one for 223 and little cases just to minimize having to flip the jaws around.

It's mighty expensive in your world and you seem to churn out very accurate ammunition so it seems like a want which is plenty for me to get one.

Most folks like them once they have it.

I bought my primary press right around 1960 and its still going strong. My rifles like my loads and I have never had a reason to change. What about taking the 650 and upgrading a scope or range finder?

SJB358":1mmk1iif said:
ET, I've had my Forster since about 2005/2006 I believe. I like it a whole lot. It sizes with very little effort and it allows the die to float which should aid in concentricity. I actually wouldn't mind a second one for 223 and little cases just to minimize having to flip the jaws around.

It's mighty expensive in your world and you seem to churn out very accurate ammunition so it seems like a want which is plenty for me to get one.

Most folks like them once they have it.

This.

I used a Rock Chucker for many years. I now have a Redding T-7, an RCBS Partner Press and a Forster Co-Ax. All make good ammunition. Does the Co-Ax make better ammunition than I did with the Rock Chucker? No. However, I moved to Forster Dies for most of my own cartridges. I like what I have, and the Co-Ax press works very well. I use the Redding for most outside work and the Partner Press for instruction purposes. Don't be induced to rid yourself of your Rock Chucker just because you imagine another press is "better."

What DrMike said. I've used mine since the 80's and like it. Only suggestion would be if you load for something real big or real small get the adapter for regular shell holders. That will eliminate flipping or replacing the jaws. I recently started loading for a 45-70 and had to buy another set of jaws at $28 plus shipping.

Interesting thoughts from you guys and very much appreciated.
I simply cannot make my mind up over whether I want to change & hanging on to my very servicable Rockchukker as well just wouldn't be practical due to space unavailable for both presses.

It's not that I need the additional force a Co-ax can exert, the cases I resize aren't large at all & I don't have any difficulty in that respect. I just like the appeal of the press which just seems so sensible in how it works.

But,
It may be my itch could be scratched in a different way though, by getting a small arbour press.
I reckon when my brain stops hurting mulling over this, I may come to a conclsion! :roll:

Then allow me to help you....don't do it! I traded a rifle for a new Rockchucker Deluxe Reloading Kit back in 1982...still going strong! Never owned a Foster, but I never had any trouble making wildcat cases with my Rockchucker! Put that money on components or another boar hunt in Hungary! ( :) )

One other thing to remember is that you will have to buy new locking rings for your dies since they are proprietary for the dies to fit right or just buy Foster dies for it from what I have read.

JMHO, but $650.00 buys an awful lot of components, even at today's prices. My Rockchucker is 47 years old and still makes ammo more accurate than I am.
Paul B.

truck driver":cxyi533t said:
One other thing to remember is that you will have to buy new locking rings for your dies since they are proprietary for the dies to fit right or just buy Foster dies for it from what I have read.

Not true. Hornady LNL, Redding and the older RCBS rings work excellent in the COAX. I actually prefer the Hornady rings.

Not saying the COAX is all that, but don't make a choice on die rings. It's a great press, but so is the old RC.

I just know the Co-ax is a good press, and I know my RC has turned out some really good ammunition...especially after I learned how to make it 'properly'.
Dilemma!
Man this a really bad itch!

I know about the lock rings though, but would likely buy the Forster ones anyway....if I do this.

ElmerThud":29veazib said:
I just know the Co-ax is a good press, and I know my RC has turned out some really good ammunition...especially after I learned how to make it 'properly'.
Dilemma!

I know about the lock rings though, but would likely buy the Forster ones anyway....if I do this.

Well, you seem like you know the answer to this one ET!

I doubt you'll hate it, that is for darned sure! :grin:

ElmerThud":3hmox1kx said:
Dilemma!

When one has an itch, it is well nigh impossible not to scratch the itch. Let us know when you get the Co-Ax. You won't make ammunition that is any better, but you will have the pleasure of having a great piece of kit on your loading bench.

I'll probably scratch 'til I make it sore - then take the medicine!
Jus' looking to see if I can get a better price getting one out of France/Belgium/Germany
Thanks for all your input & I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers, ET (y)

I had the same itch and scratched. Gave away my Redding Big Boss to a youngster wanting to start reloading.

The Coax is definitely a little different, additional expenses

Forster lock rings
Larger plate for the larger case heads
New bullet pullers (I couldn't get the standard collet pullers to tighten down on the bullet and the lever on the top hits the press)
Circular sideplates for more clearance
Short handle
Universal shell holder

Oh and most presses have a side insertion for the case into the shell holder which is easier. The Coax has the opening in the front which means you have to move your body out of the way, insert the case and then move back in front to work the handle. If you have a case that needs a shell holder extension like a 22-250, the case holder on the Coax will not hold it and then you need the Universal Shell Holder to hold the extender.

IMO if you have an itch, get a K&M Arbor Press with a bullet seater force dial and Wilson Dies. Use your old press for using a Universal Deprimer and priming, size and seat with the Arbor Press.

JMHO

That being said, I have gone through the learning curve and am satisfied now. Love the primer seater!

You remind me of my son who keeps trading guitars and amps. He spends a lot of money and comes out the worse each time. At least in this case all you will be out is the money. In my case I am perfectly happy with my 50 year old Rock Chucker. But darn that itch. It filled my safe with guns that need a new stock, trigger, or scope.

So there are some negatives with the Co-ax I just didn't really see!

I have the arbor press idea in mind, it's just not such an irritating itch but the Co-ax itch bugs me more.
Thing is if I buy a Co-ax, there's no room on my bench to keep my trusty RC. It would have to go!
The same is not so with an arbor press.

Lordy lordy what a game this is....and will the change really benefit me?
I wonder???

The best primer seating system, for single stage, is the Forester IMO.

The RC can, and does make good ammo. I moved up from a Lee and saw significant advantages. You may not have as significant an advantage coming from a better press than the entry level Lee. I think you'll love the primer seating system though.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched to the Forster and enjoy it. The spent primer system is the best I've ever used, never a missed primer to step on. I feel if you are worried making concentric ammo, step up to RCBS competition dies, with the window and bullet sleeve, and you will be ahead of yourself rather than a new press.

The comp dies with the Co-Ax are difficult to use, but when you get used to it, run out is near zero on every single case. When you go to seat a bullet, you have to pull the handle to get the case to move up and touch the sleeve, then you have to get your hand in position, which is directly in line with the handle, to drop the bullet through the window. Awkward the first few times but when you get in the groove, you'll be fine.

Just a few thoughts..
SHM

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back