Thoughts on removing the tip of an Accubond?

Jeff Olsen

Handloader
Nov 10, 2006
I hear tell there's about to be a 35-caliber, 225-gn AccuBond. I would love to use this in my 358 Win. but I think the bullet will be too long and will really intrude into the powder space too much. My .358 is a rebarreled Model 7 and the mag well is short. Currently, my two loads for it are a 200-gn Hornady for deer and a 225-gn Partition for elk.

Anyway, it occurs to me I could gain 2/10ths of an inch by removing the tip! I'd probably do it on a belt sander. That 2/10ths could be all the difference and make the bullet usable for me.

Any thoughts on this? Would the loss of the sharp tip negate the better BC that the AB has over the PT?

-jeff

YZEATER":1nvcetxr said:
since your shooting it in a 358 win. i wouldn't worry about the B.C. .

I'd have to look at a chart, I suppose, to see if the BC even matters much between the AB (or BT) and the 225 Partition or even my current deer load, the 200 Hornady. I will say that a .358 is actually a longer-range caliber than a lot of people think, though. At a MV of over 2600 fps with my 200-gn deer load, I'm close to shooting as flat as say, a Model 7 in .308. It's not a short-range rifle like a 45/70 or something.

I guess it boils down to whether an AccuBond with the tip "softened" like that has any advantage, BC or otherwise, over a Partition.

I'm still curious what people think the terminal ballistics might be like with the blunter tip, too.

-jeff

it MAY also slow down expansion, because it is designed with the tip to help start expansion.

YZEATER":z9pxrrvn said:
it MAY also slow down expansion, because it is designed with the tip to help start expansion.

True, although it'd still have the tip. It would just be a blunt, short tip. Heck, it might speed up expansion!

Looks like the 225 PT has a BC of .430, while the (discontinued) BT is .421! So if it has the same form factor as the BT, which it probably will, there's nothing to be gained anyway, really...

Still rooting for a 200-gn 35 cal AccuBond, I guess!

-jeff

Jeff:
I give you an "A" for creativity.

I think you would need to know the actual length of the bullet. The Partition, is longer than a regular Cup & Core bullet because of the Partition, and the AccuBond because of the base, the ogive, and the tip.

I can't think of a reason not to try it. You would only be risking a box of bullets. You could compare penetration, expansion, etc. by shooting through newspapers, phone books etc.

If you do this I'd like to hear about it.
Smitty of the North

There's a TERM.. :shock: :shock: ..for this but can't use it for fear of starting a row!!

Frankly....I don't think it pays to mess around with something that was designed by the folks that have spent huge amounts of $$$$$ doing test work!

Yeah.....it would DESTROY the BC.....but who cares about that with the slug you're using?? :roll: :roll:

Sharpsman":1d842gcw said:
There's a TERM.. :shock: :shock: ..for this but can't use it for fear of starting a row!!

Frankly....I don't think it pays to mess around with something that was designed by the folks that have spent huge amounts of $$$$$ doing test work!

But I can't use the thing in my .358 at ALL unless I did shorten it. The mag well on my Model 7 is pretty short, and the case of a .308 is prettys short too! I'd have to seat it so deep in the case that it just wouldn't work.

Yeah.....it would DESTROY the BC.....but who cares about that with the slug you're using?? :roll: :roll:

.358 is NOT a short-range caliber. It's not a long-range caliber, either, but the perception that it's a short-range brush caliber is false.

-jeff

When I used my 358 it did great for me out to 250-300 yards.

I was asking the about the same senerio here about a month or so ago. You would have to do a search on that thread. I think it was titled "AccuBond tip removal". With my 308 Win I was stuck with an OAL of 2.800 due to magazine clearence. But one day I found one of the AccuBond tips in the bottom of the bullet box. So that got me wondering the same thing, about removing the tips to get closer to the lands. Now that hunting season has come to a close, I can play around with removing the tips...

whiplash":16juo193 said:
I was asking the about the same senerio here about a month or so ago. You would have to do a search on that thread. I think it was titled "AccuBond tip removal". With my 308 Win I was stuck with an OAL of 2.800 due to magazine clearence. But one day I found one of the AccuBond tips in the bottom of the bullet box. So that got me wondering the same thing, about removing the tips to get closer to the lands. Now that hunting season has come to a close, I can play around with removing the tips...

I've had a problem with AccuBond tips. My first year using them in .338, the tip came off the one that was in my chamber all day (in the gloppy wet snow). Also, there were (2) bullets in a box of .338 AB's I bought that were missing tips right from the factory! both had tons of green staining around the tip area. The tip that came out in my rifle had a bunch of greenish staining aroung the tip, too. I was thinking that somehow the water from the snow got some leftover (?? how?) copper solvernt (Sweets 7.62) onto the bullet and it reacted with the glue they use or something.

I do like the bullet still, though. The one animal I took with one, a blacktail, the bullet performed perfectly, could not have been better. Massive penetration, no real damage at the impact point beyond what you'd expect, and deer dropped on the spot. And the damn things have been accurate in every rifle I've tried them in, except my .325 WSM BLR, which likes Partitions way better.

-jeff

Back