Tight throat??

thatguySHM

Beginner
Feb 11, 2017
Hey there,

Just picked up my new Savage 12 FV from Cabela's, broke it in a bit with factory PPU ammo. I think with good hand loads this rifle will shoot bug holes.

So tonight after doing the final clean down, I stuck my Hornady modified case in the chamber with a 50gr Zmax barely poking out, like always. I do it many times, I've done this for quite some time with many different rifles. Every reading is different, drastically, some by almost .100". Every time I feel the resistance, using the same amount of force, I stop and pull the case out. Every time I feel I'm short, the bullet comes tight out.

So I'm getting a bit frustrated, but really a breath and think it through. So I try one last time before giving up for the night, and once I feel my resistance, I give it another little push, more than I normally do, and it slides in further, pull just the case out, little Zmax is stuck in the lands, I use my cleaning rod to tap it out. Is this just a tight throat? The little resistance then gave a repeatable COAL of 2.457".

I use coal, seat that same bullet in a case, then use my comparators to measure to ogive, for any tip discrepancy. I think there's enough wiggle and tiny bit of angle using the comparators and modified case gauge, this has always worked for me, then I write down the Ogive measurement and base everything off that.

No marks left on the bullet really, slight bit of shine on the bullet but that was after about 10 attempts. After writing it out, sounds like a tight throat and just has to have minimal to no run out, any thoughts would be appreciated.

The PPU ammo gave good results at 100 yards, one five shot group was easily .5 MOA, most hung right around .8-1.0, but then again, still in tupperware stock, and I just went with simple 30 in lbs rear, 50 in lbs front action screw, just wanted to break it in.

New to 22-250, so just looking for advice. I shot five hand loads with 43gr TNT greens, 36.5gr PP Varmint powder, and four of five were touching, and one was out half an inch. Will be loading 53gr Vmax and AR-COMP for hopefully some 3750-3800fps tomorrow. Just want to get them close to the lands.

Thanks all

SHM

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Not uncommon. It has plenty to do with bullet and throat geometry. It could also have something to do with fouling if the throat wasn’t cleaned properly. Just remember that the measurement is relative not absolute. As long as you’re consistent, needing extra pressure to seat the bullet out to the lands with your comparator tool isn’t a big deal. You should eventually get repeatable results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back