Tikka T3 and Superlite 7mm-08 range day

pharmseller

Handloader
Feb 13, 2012
I had a pretty good day at the range with my dad. The primary goal was to see what his Superlite .223 thought of my 50 gr TTSX load. The stars aligned, his rifle loved them!

The secondary goal was to see what my T3 and Superlite thought of my 120 Ballistic Tip load, and if primer choice made a difference. I was particularly interested in the SL, since I haven't shot it much and haven't settled on a load for it.

The load (disclaimer, safe in my rifle, not yours, start low and work up) is half a grain below Nosler #8 max of Big Game, 51.5 grains. All cartridges were 2.806" OAL. Half had CCI 200 primers, the other half WLRM.

The results were very encouraging. The first rifle up was the SL, shooting the CCI loads. Not too shabby.

image_zps4b77icq4.jpeg

Then I tried my T3. You'll have to forgive the extra hole, a wayward .223.
The lower right hole is two shots. So far so good.

image_zpsyi03agog.jpeg

Then back to the SL, but with WLRM primers. Almost the same group, but I gained 65 fps.

image_zpspzthgbvw.jpeg

Finally, the T3 with WLRM. I'm not going to argue over group size but the magnum primer got me 89 fps.

image_zpslnsxymsu.jpeg

I was thinking about moving the SL down the road but it shoots 140 VLD and 120 NBT under half an inch. I think I'll keep both of them.

P

I will agree that your results are very encouraging. You have few complaints. Excellent riflery.

Yeah Pharm, I dig seeing your results with the 7-08. You make them suckers sing.

Seems like either load will be excellent. Maybe even shorten the COAL just a hair and you'd have a 1 holer. Great shooting. That rifle/load seem really capable.

SJB358":4o420108 said:
Yeah Pharm, I dig seeing your results with the 7-08. You make them suckers sing.

Seems like either load will be excellent. Maybe even shorten the COAL just a hair and you'd have a 1 holer. Great shooting. That rifle/load seem really capable.

The funny thing is, I'm not that good of a shot. These results are reeeeeeaaaallly good for me.

P

Well, you're good enough of a shot to produce several very nice targets. You did well.

I may be blind, or had too many cold ones.....but what brass were you using ?

Another 7mm-08 that shoots 120 Gr BT's. Surprising.... NOT. Im not kidding. IF 120 Gr factory loads were as common as 140's I would still own a 7mm-08. :x Looks great! congrats! CL

Gunner46":3agmdxyj said:
I may be blind, or had too many cold ones.....but what brass were you using ?

Once-fired Remington.

I bought new, fired it, then FL resized and trimmed back 0.010" or so.

P

Back