Tikka T3 : which model to choose ?

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
I am starting considering the TIKKA rifle to be my next choice.

I have looked at their website and saw there are a few models offered.

I'd go for a polymer stock, but the choice is still too wide to make up my mind and thus I will "pull your jacket"....

Questions :

- Stainless steel or Carbon barrel ?
Is there any difference in performance and other factors between the two?

-Lite or Varmint models ?
Is there a noticeable difference in performance (read: accuracy) between the two?
Does anyone know the bore diameteres of the two models at the muzzle ?

I have also noticed that Lite models have slightly longer barrels for WSM calibers (maybe 3/4") than varmint ones. Does it make any "real difference" ?

I would also look at the Sako's, but the price difference here in Italy is very big.

Thanks
:wink:

that's my opinion:

1) Tikka T3 - lite - stainless
caliber : .270WSM (barrel lenght 62 cm.)

or

2) Tikka T3 - laminated - stainless
caliber : .270WSM (barrel lenght 62 cm.)

i've got this rifle (choice n°2) in 7mm.RM .... and i'm very happy with it.

I don't think the Varmint model could be a good choice, because regarding your hunting style (alpes - mountains), i suppose will be very heavy to walk with this kind of rifle, backpack, ecc. ...for 2/3 hours.

the accuracy it's the same ... maybe when you shoot a lot of rounds in the shooting range, with the Varmint heavy barrel, you could have better groups .... but for Hunting ... it's the first round ..

The 24' barrel (.WSM models) i think it's a very good choice, because using powders like 4350 and 4831 (H or IMR), you will have an optimal result.

.. the Tikka T3 - Laminated Stainless - 7mm.RM , shoot very well ... this is my "game load" : 140 AccuBond x 66,00 H4831 ... the 1° shot it's the "fowler" ... after cleaning and dry patched the barrel .... 0.47" at 185 yds.
7rm140accu.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

I have 2 Tikka T3 Lites. One is a stainless in 6.5X55. The other is 7mm-08 and is blued(carbon steel). Both are Syn stocks and will outshoot me. Both have the smaller barrels.

Much depends on what you plan to use it for as to barrel and cartridge.

I'm starting to see some stainless fluted barrel models in the T3 Light now too... darn good looking rifles. Have yet to see them hit the Web-Site though....

I have a varmint .308 and love it, it's one of the most accurate rifles I have EVER owned without having to do the complete accurizing works. It has shot everything I've ran through it 1/2 MOA or better with no modifications. It is a bit on the hefty side, though. If I had to carry one for a good distance, I'd go with the Tikka Lite. I've never heard of one that would not shoot excellent, so any Tikka gets my vote. My Tikka Varmint has a muzzle diameter of .868" (22.06mm) with a 22.5" (571.5mm) barrel.

nomosendero":3u2huigk said:
Bluejay, what are you going to do with this rifle?

Some target shooting and some hunting on the mountains (Chamois and Roe deer) when long shots will likely to be needed.

:wink:

Back