First time posting and a new Tikka T3x lite in .308

Its a specific weapon where handling, quick shots and ability to get on target quickly make the difference between success and failure. A little more velocity is insignificant by comparison. 150 Ballistic tips is what my buddy used very effectively.
Well, as the late great Elmer Keith once said, "I prefer to let every man scratch his own fleas in whatever manner he chooses." My point was you kind of short changed the ability of a short barreled .308. I've hunted some very thick country, the rain forest at the northwest cornor of California. I used a Winchester M94 and a 1903 Springfield 30-06 with an 18" barrel in that country. Now I live where shots can be as short as 6 feet, had two like that over the years, to well past 400 yards. I would still take that RSI and most likely find a shot closer than 400 yards but could take the shot if conditions were right. Odds are I wouldn't and would try to sneak closer. These days, if I get skunked, it means nothing. I've taken enough deer and elk in roughly 68 years of hunting that an occasional batch of Tag soup ain't all that bad. I really would like to take one more elk for the pot though. I do love eating them.
Paul B.

Well, as the late great Elmer Keith once said, "I prefer to let every man scratch his own fleas in whatever manner he chooses." My point was you kind of short changed the ability of a short barreled .308. I've hunted some very thick country, the rain forest at the northwest cornor of California. I used a Winchester M94 and a 1903 Springfield 30-06 with an 18" barrel in that country. Now I live where shots can be as short as 6 feet, had two like that over the years, to well past 400 yards. I would still take that RSI and most likely find a shot closer than 400 yards but could take the shot if conditions were right. Odds are I wouldn't and would try to sneak closer. These days, if I get skunked, it means nothing. I've taken enough deer and elk in roughly 68 years of hunting that an occasional batch of Tag soup ain't all that bad. I really would like to take one more elk for the pot though. I do love eating them.
Paul B.
It may be short changing it but I love to stalk whitetails on public land near me so I invested in a short quick compact that weighs 6.5 lbs with the scope for just those purposes.
I’m shooting tha Accubonds actually because that’s what I have .
I load those for my 8 pound Remington 700 which has a 24” barrel and shoots the 150s very well and has taken 9 deer.
I do have a model 94 which I love but I’m having trouble seeing the iron sights and I ABSOLUTELY will NOT put a scope on it. Just will not do it.
So I have a nice new little bolt action that once I have my loads figured out I’m sure I’ll be very confident in.
I do appreciate your knowledge and experience

It may be short changing it but I love to stalk whitetails on public land near me so I invested in a short quick compact that weighs 6.5 lbs with the scope for just those purposes.
I’m shooting tha Accubonds actually because that’s what I have .
I load those for my 8 pound Remington 700 which has a 24” barrel and shoots the 150s very well and has taken 9 deer.
I do have a model 94 which I love but I’m having trouble seeing the iron sights and I ABSOLUTELY will NOT put a scope on it. Just will not do it.
So I have a nice new little bolt action that once I have my loads figured out I’m sure I’ll be very confident in.
I do appreciate your knowledge and experience
I understand where you're coming from. I too like the AccuBond. One one animal so far but she was a nice jicy cow elk. One shot hitting the last two ribs, angling on into the left lung. Elk went a short distance and expired. Never found the bullet and there was no exit wound. I'm thinking the bullet was buried in the goo that used to be the left lung. Looked like whipped jello.
Paul B.

Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to have new additions, and I hope you stick around - new people = new experiences, and new stories. I've loaded for .308 win in 16 and 22 inch rifles. For my uses, there is not a whole lot that 50 or even 100 fps more velocity would matter much, so I focus on acceptable group size. As an example, right now, I'm working up a load to turn a .308 into a "30-30 magnum" using 170 grain FPs designed for tube fed lever guns. Of course, you know what your use will be, so that's a determination you'll make for yourself.

For powders, I use RL (RE)15 extensively, but I also have some 4064 on the shelf. I'm sure other people have different experiences, but with my rifles, I have found .308 to be very forgiving when it comes to using different powders. I buy what is on sale (what's available these days) and I know I can find a load that meets my needs.

Again, welcome.

Welcome to the forum! You will find a wealth of knowledge on here, and some of the best people you can imagine. Great rifle you have there, I’ve yet to see a tikka not shoot very well.

I was able to get to the range again yesterday after the last four days of rain.
I set targets out at 111 yds, 204 yds, and 303 yds.
I’m not sure why they’ve used these distances but that is how the targets are set up at the range where I’m a member.
I shot a three shot group which consisted of 45.9, 46.0, and 46.1 grains of Varget in Nosler brass at 111 yards.
The last shot I was not ready for so I would call that a pull and it is the one I actually hit the Red Bullseye.
Then I shot a three shot group of 46.0 at 303 yds.
Then a three shot group of 46.0 at 204 yds.
46.0 grains of Varget in Nosler brass and CCI #200 primers.
At 204 yards, the right hand low shot was my first shot, and I was not ready for that shot either, as I’m getting used to this new rifle and new trigger.
The last three shots were at 111 yds we’re at 111 yds and 5850373E-D773-44BC-AB35-AD3A4C308BCA.jpegE19BE413-D9B1-4646-9BF8-C3C6395E88D1.jpegA3828452-BADC-47FF-BF97-C3EFF9B9119E.jpegat the center of the target using 46.0 grains of Varget but with Starline brass to see what effects would be with different brass.
I had meant to do three shots of 46.0 with Nosler brass at 111 yds also but I must have had a mental lapse and did not load those.
My scope is a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5 x 32.
This is to be my stalking rifle in the big woods where ranges, most likely will not be much over 100 yds.
I’m pretty confident with these results for the up coming season.
I will do more to dial my scope in but I am going with this load as it stands for now.
Thank you all for your help and advice along the way, it is greatly appreciated.
AND, hopefully I’ll be posting some results later this fall!

Last edited:
Back