Time to Play - I got to do something - .303 Lithgow

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I decided this is a cool way to keep from going nuts until hunting season and not spend anymore money (I know, a delusion at best). At least I can entertain myself by tweaking loads and trying a few different powders. :mrgreen: Will be going to the range this coming Monday to shoot my Lithgow No. 1 Mark III sporter using the 215gr Woodleigh RN and the 174gr Hornady RN.

Yes I know, I am hard up for something to do and don't know how long this will last, certainly not five months :roll: :roll: Now I could get real excited if a #1 Ruger in .303 Brit showed up. :shock:

Someone asked if I was going to shoot polar bears or humming birds with the 215gr Woodliegh and I said both, I don't like to leave anything to doubt. :lol:

Guys, I am already beginning to experience the shakes (withdrawal symptoms) and I haven't even put up all my stuff from working with the 30-06 Marlin. If for some reason you guys do not see any follow up to this post it will be due to the fact that I never got to the range with this rifle and loads I just worked up, because I might conclude it is really to boring to mess with and just don't have the heart to go through the motions. :cry: :cry:

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

Mike, should I send you a few rifles of mine to work the kinks out of for me? I cant ever seem to find enough time for everything. The .303 looks interesting. Have fun running her through the paces!

bbearhntr":10o39jeb said:
Mike, should I send you a few rifles of mine to work the kinks out of for me? I cant ever seem to find enough time for everything. The .303 looks interesting. Have fun running her through the paces!

No you cannot send me any of your guns to work the kinks out of, because I might end up liking them so much that I continue to find excuses not to send them back! :mrgreen: I have run this one through its paces and thinking a different slant on it will work wonders until hunting season just ain't going to cut it, but I will for a while deceive myself. :mrgreen:

The .303 Lithgow is just an armory version of the No. 2 SMLE from Austrialia? It still is a .303 SMLE, just an Armory version.

Oldtrader3":36v8hq92 said:
The .303 Lithgow is just an armory version of the No. 2 SMLE from Austrialia? It still is a .303 SMLE, just an Armory version.

Yes an armory version Mark III SMLE made in 1919

I had a No 4, Mark 1 (Longbranch) as my first centerfire rifle in the late 1950's,when I was living in Montreal and was a teenager. Mine had been "sporterized" which meant the stock was shortened and the upper wood was removed. With half of the wood removed, it was not very accurate and I was not handloading yet at that time. I used it for deer hunting in Maine and Quebec but never had an opportunity to shoot at any deer with it. My landlady in Bangor, Maine stole it from me when I got my draft notice and went into the Army.

British Enfields are great rifles. I just completed refinishing the wood on my friends' No. 4 Mk.II made in 1955 at Fazakerley. The beech/birch darkened up nicely and this unissued rifle is a real beauty. We shoot it today! I'll see if I can send a photo.

I sometimes tote a Ross rifle chambered in .303 British. Within reasonable ranges, I am not the least undergunned for large game. It will do the job.

I could have bought a never issued one for 250 marks German. Unfortunately Clinton disallowed the importation!

It was found in 1992 in an australian depot. Hundreds of them.

Thanks Clinton, do you know how much fun you caused us to miss out on!

Back