To hot for my 25.06 AI?

ForestWalker

Beginner
Jul 24, 2007
I finally found a load that shoots very good in my 25.06 AI. Unfortunately I had a hard Getting the action to break open after each shot(Thompson Encore). As I looked at the primers I noticed that the primer had flowed into the firing pin hole completely eliminating the dent in the primer. I was shooting 60grs. of IMR 4831, 100 grn Partitions and a CCI 250 Primer. If I figured right this is 1.5 grains below max..

* Is this to much pressure OR..

* Is this a head space issue OR...

* Could it be because I forgot to clean the lube of the case after resizing?

Should I drop down to a large rifle primer and if so how much will it effect things? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Did you start at the min and work up towards max listed in a manual? If ya did I would like to have thought you would have seen signs of over pressure long before you were flowing the primer into the firing pin hole.

I don't know much about the AI calibers but it would seem to me that a CCI 250 is too hot of a primer for a 25-06AI. I'm sure someone with AI expirence will chime in soon and correct me if I'm wrong. I do know too hot of a primer will cause pressure spikes and being 1.5 grains down from max the CCI 250 might be pushing you over the top.

I do not believe that not getting the cases cleaned of all the lube caused what you were seeing. If they were not ejecting smoothly but no other signs of over pressure were present I would say OK but flowing the primer into the firing pin is bad news.

Are your bullets loaded long enough to be seating tight into the lands? This can cause pressure spikes.

OU812 is spot on.

Reloading books are guides or reference data only and each rifle is different. Always start low and work up towards the max while watching for pressure signs.

When primers start to flow, you are at a dangeous pressure level!
I would drop down the powder charge and also check out the COL for your rifle.

JD338

My 25-06 (not improved) gets pressure signs at 54 grains of IMR4831
with a 100 grain ballistic tip. 6 more grains of powder sounds high for
an improved version. This is with a large rifle primer.

My rifle is a bolt action, a break action will flex more and get pressure
signs sooner.

A chrony will help tell if you are reaching the expected velocity and
give you more of an idea on pressure.

That sounds way too hot. I would check your OAL and reduce your powder charge. Unfortunately Nosler does not have 25-06 AI reloading data.

Definitely too hot. What were your speeds?

I was shooting 60grs. of IMR 4831, 100 grn Partitions and a CCI 250 Primer. If I figured right this is 1.5 grains below max....

When I look at this post it scares me. The OP has abviously not read the front sections of his loading manuals to see what is stated about high pressure signs. How he can even think that he is "below max" with those very strong indications of high pressures is beyond me. :shock:

I wonder if the data he used was for H4831? If so, substituting IMR4831 is a guarantee for high pressures since the IMR varient is faster burning. Regardless of what some load book says, if you have signs of high pressure, you probably have high pressure!

ForestWalker

Where did you get your load data from?

Rule of thumb for AI calibers-
Starting load is the MAX load for parent cartridge.
Example is my 280AI. My startiing load for a 140 gr BT is 57.0 grs RL19, which is a MAX load for the 280 Remington.

Always take load data from the internet or other unknown sources as a guide and compare to 2-3 loading handbooks. This will prevent you from getting into a bad situation.

We are all telling you this as friends, no one here wnats to see you or anyone else get themselves into a bad situation.

JD338

Yes I started small and worked up. No I'm not new to reloading but this is the first small caliber I've loaded. The change between the load before and this one was significant. (which I've heard and read can happen in small caliber rounds) But my problem turns out to be the primer I dropped back to a non magnum primer and solved my pressure problem. For those that offered constructive help I thank you. For you that didn't or are scared. I hand load for myself and only myself, I would never try something as unsafe as just start using data posted on the net. I also know the difference between H4831 and IMR 4831 and I have read my reloading manual and P.O. Ackley's books. Thank you for your opinion but you know what opinions are like!!!!!!!!!!

For the standard 25-06 the max is around 55 gr of IMR 4831 and 100 gr. I always got around 3350 fps with this load but never any good accuracy. I think pressures were spiking.

Back