to re-barrel or not to re-barrel????

chet

Handloader
Mar 10, 2006
concerning my m70 25-06.....
I think its aproaching "shot-out", I would like to replace the 24" sporter with sumthin better?????
any opinions?
I'd like to stay with the .257..... either 25-06 or 25-06AI
26" medium..... maybe fluted????
just a thought I had after last nights shoot.... got some cash burnin a hole lol
throw some ideas at me.. and dont say "weatherby" or "remington" hahaha.

thanks in advance

That is exactly what I was going to do!

25-06 AI
26" barrel medium contour and fluted for portability. You sould easily get 3300 fps from a 110 AccuBond! Sweeeeeeeeeeet! :lol:

oh baby!!!!
you guys are exciting me!!
I'm calling my gunsmith tonight!
who cares if it's shot out or not! hahaha

how about a guess on weight difference????

24" winchester sporter compared to 26" medium fluted??????

the only reason I never baught a coyote was the 24" barrel.

Chet,

The Hart #5 26" flutted will weigh a few oz more than a sporter 24" but you will have a tack driver. My rifle is a 700 action with a Hart 24" #5 flutted barrel.

280AI 160 gr AB
280AI160grAB.jpg

280AI 120 gr BT
[/img]
280AI120grBT.jpg

You better make the call tonight! :lol:

JD338

Pop,

Do you think either of these would work for WY prairie goats? :wink:

JD338

Chet,

My gunsmith ordered the Hart barrel in 7mm and did the chambering, along with blueprinting the action and adding a Tubb recoil lug.

JD338

JD338":3ikn2boa said:
Pop,

Do you think either of these would work for WY prairie goats? :wink:

JD338

Nope you neep this! :mrgreen: :twisted:

http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html

rfl_cal_bullet_416.gif

HV2medium.jpg

HVmedium.jpg

Seriousely though we will find out next year. Load some 140's! BTW the above are the GS Customs I was telling about on the phone. :wink:

The 416 Wby with the GS customs look like an anti aircraft round. :lol:

I haven't been able to break the .5" mark with the 140 gr AB so I decided to stay with the 160 gr AB. The 160 gr AB will buck the wind a lot better too.
Maybe I will try the 140 gr AB again since I upgraded my scope from a VXIII 2.5x8 to a Mark 4 4.5x14. Now I can see the bullseye!

JD338

Either will end a speedgoats carreer in short order. I will be using the "Smaller twin" --7 rum with 160 AB at over 3200 fps. I will also launch a 300 gr 416 Barnes X at well over 3100 fps from the "BEE" at speedgoats this year. I have 3 tags so why not. I will try to use that 300X at relatively long range to check expansion. The GS expands down to 1200 FPS. Man oh man what a bullet!

Chet - I've got several "custom" barrels, by Krieger, Hart and Obermeyer.

The high quality custom barrels open up a whole new world... Personally, I like keeping the contour relatively light for a packing rifle. Nothing heavier than about the equal of Remington's varmint contour for me. The smoothness of a hand-lapped custom barrel greatly decreases fouling.

Doesn't matter what Hart offers for chambers - only if they're doing the chambering and barrel instal for you. Otherwise work with your gunsmith, he can chamber it in whatever you want. Make sure you get a twist fast enough to stabilize the hunting bullets you want to use.

Installing a custom barrel is a great time to have your action "trued" or blueprinted, and any other custom work you want done. Bedding? New stock? Trigger job???

Take your time, pick what you want and enjoy the tremendous benefits of a really good barrel.

Take a hard look at the different makers, Krieger, Lilja, Hart, Broughton, Pac Nor etc... There are some great barrels out there. Many of the barrel makers have their own very informative web site. I learned a lot from Krieger and Lilja's web sites some years back.

Regards, Guy

I have wanted to try a custom barrel out for quite some time. The only thing that deters me is the paucity of qualified local gunsmiths! I would love to have my M70 25-06 supergrade rechambered to say, 264 win mag or 280 remington! That would be very nice! :grin:

340boy,

Take a look at www.longrangehunting.com there are a couple of excellent gunsmiths there. Shawn Carlock is from Idaho and Kirby "Fifty Driver" Allan is from Montana. These guys know how to make a long range shooter.

JD338

I'm going with a hart #5 fluted 26"

not sure weather it'll be a AI or not...... may possibly stay with the standard 25-06.

Pop, I think I can get 3300 with the AB without going AI........ not sure, decide later lol

thanks guys!

Chet,

I think you will be happy with the Hart #5. I will try to post a picture for you.
If you go with an AI, you can also shoot factory or new brass 25-06
fireform loads.
Of course, you can do a std 25-06 chamber and have it AI'd later.
Decisions........

JD338

Back to the basic question... "to rebarrel or not" ...

I've come to look at barrels as consumable items. They wear out, like tires. When they're done, buy new.

If you want a different "tread pattern" for different driving conditions, buy different tires. Want your rifle to do better in different hunting conditions? Select a different barrel.

The first time through is a little nerve wracking, and also generally more expensive because the action should be trued etc... But, after that it's just buying the barrel, having it chambered and installed. Not a big deal.

Yes, having a custom barrel installed can cost more than a whole new rifle... But I think it's worth the time and money.

BTW - yes Shawn Carlock over in Idaho builds some serious rifles! :grin:

Regards, Guy

chet":qrl7nne5 said:
I'm going with a hart #5 fluted 26"

not sure weather it'll be a AI or not...... may possibly stay with the standard 25-06.
thanks guys!

Chet,

Here is a picture of my 700 280AI with a 24" Hart #5 fluted barrel.
Scope is a Mark4 4.5x14PR.

700280AI1.jpg

JD338[/img]

Back