To Six Millimeter, or Not?

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
I suppose that after over 50 years of hunting, one's opinions can go through any sort of changes. In the 1960s, I got a rather bad opinion of the .243Win. as a deer killing cartridge. I had a Ruger Model 77, bought in 1968 that killed uncounted numbers of groundhogs, but when I used it on deer and made what I thought were good hits to the heart/lung area, the deer were still able to run, sometimes 100 yards, or more. In failing light, finding a deer in a grown over field or thick cover can be daunting, if not impossible. At the time, I was not a reloader and was using factory 100 gr. bullets for deer hunting. Since I was taking groundhogs at 200+ yards, with that rifle, I went to shooting deer only in the neck and that did drop them on the spot. When I began to get enough money aside to begin gathering a battery of hunting rifles, I acquired an old Model 70 Winchester in 270Win. That was a supreme cartridge/rifle combo and cleanly killed white tails, muley and pronghorn. Then I got the Magnum mania and acquired a Browning B78 falling block rifle in 7mmRemMag. Since I bought that rifle, I have used nothing else on any sort of deer hunt. The added range that the flat trajectory provides is worth every bit of the additional recoil, which is not noticed when I bring game under fire anyway.
Now to my change in beliefs: Wife, Storm, is only 5'2" tall and weighs less than 120 lbs. The rifle that she settled on as hers turns out to be a New England Handy Rifle in .243Win., which she has learned to shoot very well! Before this past summer, Storm had never fired any high powered rifle. The Youth Model fits her perfectly, after I added a slip on Decelerator recoil pad to the already effective recoil pad that came on the little rifle. Now, she has no problems with recoil, shooting off the bench and genuinely enjoys shooting her rifle. The newer bonded bullets are providing much better results on game than did the older bullet designs. My belief is that I can now expect the same or better performance from a 100 gr. bonded bullet, as I used to get out of a 130 gr. old design bullet. I believe this because the bonded bullets retain weight, for better penetration and mushroom more dependably with sharp petals that cause more tissue damage, shock and bleeding. Do you agree?
Steven A.

The .243 is effective as a deer rifle so long as the shooter recognises and works within the rifle's capabilities. It lacks mass and frontal area of some other rifles. However, shot placement is still the key for effective kills on deer-size game. Pick a good bullet and wit for an effective shot, and the .243 will work very well indeed.

I have killed more deer than many people have ever seen in their lives. I have killed them with about everything from a bow and arrow through a 45-70. I can tell you that it does not matter what you shoot a deer with it is where you place the bullet. About 50% of the time if you put a bullet just behind the front shoulder for a heart lung shot the deer will run off a ways. They are dead but they still make that 50 to 100 yard dash. If you place a bullet in the center of the front shoulder blade 90% of the time they will drop right in their tracks. I always try to place a bullet so it will enter or exit a front shoulder. The shock that hitting bone imparts to a deer usually knocks them down and they can't get back up in that time that it takes their brain to get the signal that they are dead. I have killed a number of deer with a 243. I used hand loads with 100 gr Rem. ,Sierra and Nosler Partition bullets and killed deer out to a little over 300 yards. Those partitions were great. The only Nosler AccuBond bullets I have used were this year. 130 gr in a 264 Win mag. I shot 4 deer from 98 to 275 yards and dropped them all in their tracks. I did recover one bullet. It was from a buck shot at 111 yards. The buck was facing me with just a slight angle. I placed the bullet on the edge of it's left front shoulder. It destroyed that shoulder and made soup out of it's vitals. I found the bullet in it's right ham. It was a perfect mushroom with the front part of the jacket peeled back over the back half of the bullet which still held the lead core. The recovered bullet weight was 71 grs. This bullet left the muzzle at average 3350 fps hit bone traveled through about 5 feet of deer and still was in tact. I like those Accubonds. The other three deer shot with the AccuBond had exits about the size of a golf ball. I don't know if they make a 6mm AccuBond yet but I would go with the 100 gr Partitions because I know what they will do to a deer. Good hunting.

I took my first buck with a .243 and have taken a total of seven deer with one. Most of them were shot with 100 gr speers, nothing special. I never had one get away from me, and most dropped in their tracks. I would not think twice about handing my daughter a .243 to practice with and take deer with. If we get to talking elk, I'm going 7-08.

The 6mm Remington and .243 Winchester are both great deer cartridges. Use good bullets in either, and they are both very effective. I've taken roughly 30 antelope and 20+ deer with a 6mm Remington personally, and witnessed many more taken by friends. I used both 100 gr. Nosler Partitions and Solid Base Boattails with great success. My son also used the 90 gr. Nosler E-tip this year, and its performance was outstanding. He shot an antelope doe broadside at 300 yards right behind the shoulder through the lungs. She staggered about 4 steps and went down. His mule deer buck was facing him (slightly turned) at 150 yards. He shot him in the center of his chest and he dropped instantly. The bullet went through the chest, lungs, and exited about the middle of the ribs on the left side behind the shoulder.

Sometimes animals go a short distance no matter how well they are hit, but a bullet through the heart and lungs and shoulder area usually stops them fairly quickly. It doesn't matter how large of a caliber you use! I would have your wife use the .243 with confidence. Load a GOOD 85-105 grain bullet that her rifle shoots the best, have her practice with it so she's proficient, and go hunting! Good luck.

Both of my sons started with a .243 for their first deer hunting rifle. Both effectively killed all deer they shot at with the rifle using 100 grain Speer GS bullets. They understood the limitations of the cartridge and were put in stands that would make sure they could make effective kills when they shot. It is about placement, but it sounds like your wife is already comfortable with shooting the rifle. Nosler is not making an AB bullet for 6mm yet, but as others have said; either the 95 or 100 grain Partition will be very effective.

I have witnessed many one-shot kills on deer and antelope with 50 grain bullets in 22-250's that were shot by persons that know how to shoot and where to place the bullets. The 243 is plenty of caliber for your hunting application. Make sure the first deer is close and not moving too fast, so she can get a good sight picture/bullet placement and watch the magic happen. You might even decide to leave the ol' 7 mag at home for your hunting after that :)

I owned a Ruger 1b in 6mm a while back. It was the 1976 Liberty Edition and it looked like new! I took a few goats with it. With 100 gr bullets it shot 1.25" at 300 yards! 3248 fps with rl22. I sold it. What a fool!

n1215971267_167530_3958.jpg

I'm throwing a vote in for the 100gn Partition. Even if it hits bone on a close shot there is still enough bullet left for penetration. I know of a few Elk that were taken with the 243. One, two years ago by my buddy watching a meadow and rattel'n/grunting for Bucks. He a had a late cow tag and out stepped a full size cow elk at 40yds. One shot BEHIND the shoulder and twenty yards later she fell over.

Like 1Shot stated: "it does not matter what you shoot a deer with it is where you place the bullet"

If the bullet is a hunting bullet for deer size game then enjoy your 243!

As far as .243 Partitions go, my A-bolt shot the 95 grainer half way decent but not so much with the 100 grainer. I could be wrong, but my guess is the 95 was made for the 10 twist and the 100 was made for the 9 1/4 remington twist....just speculation, experience. My most accurate loads were with 85 sierra gameking bthp and 85 barnes tsx, both using 42.5 IMR4350 and those are the two bullets I decided on. The partitions shot best with RL-22 and IMR4350 followed by IMR4831 in my A-bolt.

I can see no trouble with a 243 on WT deer. I loaded a few rounds for a buddy with 90 grain BT's and the damage they caused on a deer is fearsome for the amount of bullet/energy.

My uncle hunted deer with a tang Ruger 77 in 243 for many years and killed around 40-50 of them with that rifle. Times were tough and that was more grocery shopping than sport hunting, so that is why the numbers were up.
I think the load was a HRDY 87 grn spitzer with 4064.

Since about 1992 he hunts with a 270 win in a Savage 110 E and that rifle has likely taken as many, tho I don't think he has ever figured out that there are other mammals that are edible since the time when "royal beef" was a daily highlight on the menu.

JT.

6mm is deadly, will kill any deer and break bone doing so at reasonable distances, out to +/-300yds. I currently run 90g Scirocco at 3403fps (avg) and they perform well. I have used 95g BT, 100 Sierra and 100 and 95g NPTs. I would like to try the 85g TSX and am very curious about the 90g e-tip.

6mm Remington said:
My son also used the 90 gr. Nosler E-tip this year, and its performance was outstanding.quote]

this is good to hear. I will probably use the e-tip next year on deer.

go get a 6mm and go kill a deer.....plain and simple

I phoned Nosler and spoke to a Tech Rep. For all around hunting he recommended the Partition, for the 6mm. Said that if I was not going after wild boar, the BT would be fine for deer. I understand what he is saying. For tougher game, like the big pigs with that very thick hide on the shoulder, a really tough bullet that holds together is what is needed.
Steven A.

It is enough, but falls into that shot placement crucial spot.
Properly used it is enough for alot of game.

I'd have to say that there are times, particulaly with younger hunters or inexperianced hunters, that a buck larger than what they are used to will present a shot and the hit is less than perfect because of buck fever. Doesn't really matter how big of a gun you are packing either.

I've seen this scenario with 308's and a less than perfect shot required a back up shot to anchor. It's all fine and good if there is a capable rifleman watching the shot thro a scope and ready to finish off a wounded animal, but if not can lead to trouble.

I've said elsewhere on this forum that perhaps a 257 should be the lightest caliber used on WT, but that is for overkill to allow for less than perfect hits.
If you are just shopping for groceries a 243 with a 90 grn Ballistic Tip will work great, but if you want a wallhanger, get something that can throw a 110 grn AccuBond and shoot it a bit.......

JT.

POP":96jfrvuj said:
I owned a Ruger 1b in 6mm a while back. It was the 1976 Liberty Edition and it looked like new! I took a few goats with it. With 100 gr bullets it shot 1.25" at 300 yards! 3248 fps with rl22. I sold it. What a fool!

n1215971267_167530_3958.jpg

YOU SOLD IT??? SAY IT AIN'T SO? I can't believe that one! If you don't want them to run off...shoot 'em in the neck!

Even though I have shot white tailed deer with 243 and 6mm I have always felt under gunned with them. That is my reason for going with the 260. Same cartridge case but a little larger bullet. Since the early 1970s until recently 90% of my hunting was with 270s. I found that to be an ideal caliber for white tailed deer. The 260 will use a 130 grain bullet as did the 270 but with less recoil and maybe a little less maximum killing range ...... which here in the East isn't much of a loss. Less recoil has become more important with age.
That being said and based on my experience and observations of others using 243s I would not hesitate to hunt white tailed deer and smaller game with one. As others have said you have to recognize their limitations. They are more pleasant to shoot.

So far, at age 67, I am not minding recoil. I still shoot my Browning B78 in 7mmRemMag off the bench with no muzzle brake and don't get bruised or feel any pain after the shooting session. I realize that their is recoil from that big old round that I stuff with IMR7828 to optimize the use of a 26" BBL, and the range effectiveness of the 140AB, but it is not something that bothers me at this point. Thank God! Hunting, of course, is a whole different experience, in terms of felt recoil. When I did buy and field test a rifle in 300RUM, I never felt any recoil when taking game under fire. On the range was something else and on the 300RUM I did have a brake installed that tamed the beast to an acceptable felt recoil. I got rid of the 300RUM, but not because of recoil.
My wife is only 5'2" tall and weighs 120 lbs. She likes shooting her .243Win., but thus far, I cannot give a hunting result, as I have not been able to get her in front of a deer or a pig. Maybe after the holidays!
Steven A.

I have not been able to get her in front of a deer or a pig.

I think I have diagnosed the problem, Steven. You need to get the pig or the deer in front of her! :lol:

Indeed, you have hit the nail. Without having the game in front of her, I will never suceed in getting her a shot. Then, to get her to hit the mark!!
Steven A.

Steven, I think the 6mm or .243 make dandy cartridges for deer. Don't have any problem at all with the standard 100 grain "cup and core" bullets for the most part. My youngest son has had great results from two different Nosler bullets from his 6mm Rem on mule deer:

95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and the 100 gr Nosler Solid Base. Both loaded to about 3000 fps, and excellent at either 75 yards or 300 yards... I know the AccuBond and the Partition are excellent bullets, just don't know that they're really needed for deer.

Regards, Guy

Guy wrote: " I know the AccuBond and the Partition are excellent bullets, just don't know that they're really needed for deer. "

I appreciate that Guy, along with all the other tips. That said, my modus operendi has been to find one load formula and stick with it for all hunting purposes. This, especially true here in Florida, when we can and do encounter very large, tough boar, while deer hunting. In open hunting areas, there is no season on boar/pig, as they are classified as escaped domestic swine. They are much tougher than is any deer that I have ever taken, to include 250 lb. muley. In loading up for hunting, using my wife's .243Win. there is no 6mm AB, so the Partition is my choice. Maybe tougher than needed for deer, but among the best choice for pig, where holding together, creating lots of trauma and retaining weight is called for.
Best,
Steven A.

Back