Today's Range Results

I picked up today where I let off with this load for my 30-06 using H4350. I was previously shooting loads with RL17. Got descent velocity but H4350 has proven to be my powder of choice with the 165 AB. The extreme powders are pretty consistent with Temp. change.

Range Temperature this morning was 78-degrees with winds @ 10-15 MPH. I shot the load previously pictured with 165 Ballistic Tips. I ran out of those but had Accubonds and loaded them
instead. My velocity increased by 50 fps with the same charge of 59.0 using the AccuBond but it was a lot warmer today too. I then continued with 59.5 getting 2850 fps then onto 60.0 not getting any more velocity. The primers were BR2, but CCI 200 with the 60.0 loads. I did not have any pressure signs at all working up, with the best grouping coming from the 60.0 load. The 59.0 and 59.5 Loads should improve with seating adjustments. I just wasn't shooting those tight groups today everyone desires, but would have produced dead Deer. I'm getting closer where I want to be with load development.

Don

HeathSexton":2edxgfyc said:
Looks good.

My little orange stickers are all lopsided too, aggravates me. :)

Do I sense a little OCD there?

WAIT a minute..... you guys didnt tell me one shot groups were legal for bragging rights? Finally have a chance!
Don- that is a great looking load. Good work! CL

Hey everyone,
Yes I actually shot 3-shot groups, can you believe it!!
Had a good range visit on Sunday afternoon. Temps cooled to 59-degrees, somewhat windy too.
Continuing with the 30-06 I was able to get my first clover leaf with 165 Ballistic Tips using H4350 Powder, although not as tight as some pics posted on this forum. I reduced the 59.0 load to 58.0 and used CCI250 primers vs the BR-2 previously used. I shot 58.0 & 59.0 charges. The 58.0 charge produced the best group @ 100yds with velocity in the 2774 FPS range, basically within 2-FPS of the 59.0 charge with BR-2 primers. Will attempt to post the pic tonight.

On another note I had some Berger 168 VLD Bullets left over. Decided to use some RL17 powder and loaded some with 59.0 & 59.5 charges using WLR primers. These produced in the high 2800 range in velocity to 2904 FPS from a 22" barrel Rem. 700, but failed to produce any good groups.

Done with those for sure, but it was fun to shoot them.

Don

Thanks JD, now to get the pic posted when I get home!

Don

ATTACH]

Nice shooting DON...now you need to find a way to keep that orange circle from jumping out of the way of the bullets!! :p

Dr. Mike,
I think this load will hammer whitetail deer. Just what I was looking for.

Don

Looking good. Now you got me thinking its time to pull the 06 out of the safe. Got 165 BTs and H4350 and start playing with it again

DON,

Looking good. About 12 clicks north and you will be set to go.
Try seating the bullet .005" deeper, you may just snug it up a bit more.

Good work!

JD338

Thanks to all,

Next range trip I'll dial it in to the orange dot. Spend a little time to fine tune. Thanks for the suggestion JD, will give that a try.

Now onto the 300 Ultra Mag. to finish the load reduction I started initially. Still have some work to do yet. I actually have it seated out to the max just to fit the magazine. Powder charge is at 95.0 Retumbo with Nosler cases and 180 AB. Just not getting good groups. Velocity is 3250-3275 fps.

Don

Don, I'm using the same charge of H4350 with 165 Noslers, and getting about 25 fps less velocity. The barrel on my old rifle is an inch shorter, and has been heavily used, although there's no telling how many rounds have been through it. Still getting decent accuracy though. I'm just using standard, not magnum, primers. H4350 and the 165's are a good .30-06 combo.

Regards, Guy

Guy,
I remember your earlier post with that load. I'll be anxious to give this load a try come fall to see how the performance will be vs. the 150 BT previously used at 3000 fps. I just wanted a more stouter bullet, reason to jump up in weight. I can also go to the 165 AB if needed as well. I think given the current velocity at 2774 fps the BT should perform well.

Don

Back