Too Much Scope

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Looking to replace the 2-10X40 I traded away on the Whelen. I've been looking at various brands and have found some what I think are deals on Meoptas Meopro, 3-9X42, 3-10X42 and a 4-12X50 all priced fairly close together. Would the 4-12X50 be too much scope on the Whelen? There is also a 6X42 for a little more.

I'm not a fan of 50mm scopes at all preferring no more than about 40mm or so. I have run scopes on a Whelen ranging from 1.5-5x32 on up to the 3.5-10x40 Leupold, currently a 6x36 Leupold. Anything from a 2-7x33 up to the 3.5-10x40 would be a great choice, the 3-9x42, 3-10x44 or 6x42 you listed would all be excellent. The Meopta 3-9x42 in particular looks like the best buy for the money at least around here, the 6x42 looks to be an excellent buy too. Heck, they are all good.....

I doubt that the 4-12X50 is too much scope. However, like Gerry, I don't prefer the 50 mm objective. I prefer a smaller objective. 3-9 or 3-10 will serve you very well. I'm running a 3-9X42 Kahles on my Whelen, and it is more than adequate.

Thanks gerry and DrMike. The 3-9X42 will probably be all I ever need for hunting but I also like enough scope to see my shots with out changing my position. A 2-10 is my favorite all around optic but they don't make them in the better glass at least not what I have looked at in my price range. I also like the 42mm-45mm objective lens for higher light gathering . The 50mm would probably require taller bases and that would be a problem with cheek weld. I do have a Conquest on my Weatherby that I don't shoot a lot that I could rob the Zeis 4.5-14X44SFMC off of and that would temporarily solve my problem.

How about a Leica ER 2.5-10x42? I'm not sure what price range you're looking at, but prices were dropping pretty fast on these for a while when Leica dropped the non-illuminated scopes from their lineup.

Roger,

IMHO, the VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is the perfect scope for the 35 Whelen. It is not to big and bulky
and provides more than enough magnification up close and out to 400 yds which I would consider the far end for the 35 Whelen.
I do not care for the 50mm offerings as they are big, heavy and do not allow you to get a proper cheek weld to the stock.

JD338

Rodger, I used the Leica 4.5-15X42 on my Whelen this past fall and I took my Elk at approximately 500 yards.
I am now in the process of changing the Leica to a 3-9X36 Zeiss Davaria. I am not sure there really is a wrong scope. But like many others before me my preference is a 42mm objective or smaller for a hunting rifle.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for the info everyone. I found some smoking deals and was looking to get the best bang/scope for my buck and I appreciate your opinions.

I have a 2-7 Burris on my Whelen, and have a VX3 2.5-8x waiting to be swapped on if I can ever find my gun smithing tools after moving.

I see so reason something like a 4-12x wouldn't work, but it's more scope than I would use. 4x on the low end should have plenty of FOV. But I hate 50mm objectives on anything but varmint and tacticool rifles.

It just seems like every time I carry my Whelen it seems like I end up in the deepest, darkest, overgrown rainforest jungle hell where a .45-70 might me more appropriate.

JD338":mxo63xwv said:
Roger,

IMHO, the VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is the perfect scope for the 35 Whelen. It is not to big and bulky
and provides more than enough magnification up close and out to 400 yds which I would consider the far end for the 35 Whelen.
I do not care for the 50mm offerings as they are big, heavy and do not allow you to get a proper cheek weld to the stock.

JD338

Yup!

I always had a 2x7 Leupold on my whelens.

I agree that a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 would be a perfect scope. I have one with the Boone & Crockett reticle on my 375 Ruger.

I run a 3x9 Minox #4 reticle on my Whelen. Feels like a great scope. Plenty of X's to get me out to the longest ranges I'll shoot the rifle and the #4 is excellent in the woods as well. Meopta's offerings are supposed to be top notch, just keep an eye on the eye relief, they tend to be short on some of their models. They make a 4x12-40mm that would be really nice I believe, just not sure on the eye relief.

http://www.eurooptic.com/meopta-meostar ... ample.aspx

I've been looking there Scotty. Something else that caught my eye was the new Vortex Diamond back HP. there is a 2.5-8X32 with side focus that is priced right reasonable.
But then I'm just looking since I have to buy some new teeth so I don't look like I just walked off the Deliverance Movie set. :roll: :lol:
Got a big hole in my smile. Oh yeah and they will help me eat. :mrgreen:

Most of my scopes are 2.5 or 3.5-10x42-44mm. I do have a Swaro 4-12x50 which is a great scope and a couple of 3-15x42, plus a 5-15x42 Zeiss. I have one Kahles 3-9x42 on my .338 Federal. For hunting here in western Washington, 10x is plenty.

My 4-12x50 Swaro is mounted on TPS medium height rings which are the same rings which I am using for my (2) HD-5, 3-15x42 Zeiss Conquest's. All three of these rifles have a good cheek weld and for practical purposes they all are high comb rifles which mount and feel the same to me in use. The Swaro is a great scope and I would hate to give it up!

All in all, I have (12) active scopes, of which (5) are Zeiss of various persuasions. I have (3) Leupold's, mostly on rimfires. Two Kahles, one Swaro and a Leica.

truck driver":1cc63u7h said:
Something else that caught my eye was the new Vortex Diamond back HP. there is a 2.5-8X32 with side focus that is priced right reasonable.

Why the heck would they build an 8x variable with an adjustable objective/side focus?

close range hunting with an A/O scope is no problem , set it on 100 and go hunting . a side focus usually needs adjusted to clear up target image . I wouldn't want it on an everyday , run of the mill hunting rifle .

My good Buddy Fotis is sending me a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 that will find a home on top of the Whelen.

Back