Too old.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Doesn't work. Good ole 30-06. Works across such a broad selection of bullets and powders which makes it even more valuable today IMO with prices and availability what they are. Gives you lots of options. In my opinion the following is a good example of such.

Some testing I done couple weeks back with a 30-06. Included was trying several powders I never used in 30-06 before as I have some old powder given to me by a relative a few yrs back that I wanted to use and see how it worked.

Powders I hadn't used before that I ever recall were H380, IMR 4320, & BL-C2. Every time I went to the range I'd try something different. 2 of the powders IMR 4320 and BL-C2 I tried 3 different charges loaded a full grain apart. Two of the powders H380 and Big Game I just had 2 charges loaded 1/2 grain apart, and IMR 4350 & 4831 were single charges tested.

Bullets were 150 gr flat bases, 165 gr boat tail, and 180 grain RN. The rifle shot the vast majority of all charges & bullets under an inch with some under 3/4". This was all first time testing without trying other seating depths or different charge weights other than these tests.

H380 & BG I used Federal 215 magnum primers to try. All other tests were done with CCI 200 primers from the 90's.

The rifle is an old JC Higgins M51 I picked up last yr and done some work to on the bedding and barrel channel until I was happy with it. Factory trigger on it yet. A few of these targets were shot with a Leupold Vari X II, the rest with a Tasco 3-9 that's on it now and in this picture. Great old rifle. Shoots every bullet and powder you feed it.

Where is Guy talking about old Betsy?

Really liked the video on UR

My first hunting rifle was/is a 30-06 Tikka. The barrel is on it's last leg, but I use it for driven hunts. Could use it for other things too I guess.

I am thinking about re-barreling it, I have enough loaded ammo to last for my hunting life.aybe that of my kids, too, if they ever start.

Out game is smaller than yours, so I mostly use the Creedmoor now. Not because I consider it better, just because it is smaller.

Could not find a good Swede or 6,5x57 in left hand, so I got for the new kid on the block

Last edited:
Accuracy on the rifle with a variety of loads will work on game, for sure. It is a shooter, and the ol' '06 proves once more than it'll git 'er done.
I have a small family of 30-06's, didn't really set out in any way to end up like that, but in today's environment I'm very content being in that place. Lots of brass, lots of components for them. Easy to make work. And not just for me. If needed, chances of neighbors having at least one 30-06 in their lineup or maybe as their sole rifle, is pretty high. A very good cartridge to have around for commonality and intermingling if need be.

Should mention I guess all these targets are at 100 yds. Not necessarily the best it will do, just what I tried. Pretty good rifle.

Doesn't work. Good ole 30-06. Works across such a broad selection of bullets and powders which makes it even more valuable today IMO with prices and availability what they are. Gives you lots of options. In my opinion the following is a good example of such.

Some testing I done couple weeks back with a 30-06. Included was trying several powders I never used in 30-06 before as I have some old powder given to me by a relative a few yrs back that I wanted to use and see how it worked.

Powders I hadn't used before that I ever recall were H380, IMR 4320, & BL-C2. Every time I went to the range I'd try something different. 2 of the powders IMR 4320 and BL-C2 I tried 3 different charges loaded a full grain apart. Two of the powders H380 and Big Game I just had 2 charges loaded 1/2 grain apart, and IMR 4350 & 4831 were single charges tested.

Bullets were 150 gr flat bases, 165 gr boat tail, and 180 grain RN. The rifle shot the vast majority of all charges & bullets under an inch with some under 3/4". This was all first time testing without trying other seating depths or different charge weights other than these tests.

H380 & BG I used Federal 215 magnum primers to try. All other tests were done with CCI 200 primers from the 90's.

The rifle is an old JC Higgins M51 I picked up last yr and done some work to on the bedding and barrel channel until I was happy with it. Factory trigger on it yet. A few of these targets were shot with a Leupold Vari X II, the rest with a Tasco 3-9 that's on it now and in this picture. Great old rifle. Shoots every bullet and powder you feed it.

Nice rifle. I have probably five JC Higgins M50s, the plainer version, four in 30-06 and one that was rebarreled and restocked as a 7x57 Mauser. I've only seen one Higgins M51and that was years ago, and I don't remember if it had a cheekpiece. I do remember its being checkered though. Heck, even my M50 have been altered to some degree by previous owners. I only have one that strictly stock and as original as if it was NIB. One has a Butler Creek stock due to the original being badly damaged, the rest have had alterations done to the stock to make them more compatible to their previous owners. I like them all.
Paul B.

Nice rifle. I have probably five JC Higgins M50s, the plainer version, four in 30-06 and one that was rebarreled and restocked as a 7x57 Mauser. I've only seen one Higgins M51and that was years ago, and I don't remember if it had a cheekpiece. I do remember its being checkered though. Heck, even my M50 have been altered to some degree by previous owners. I only have one that strictly stock and as original as if it was NIB. One has a Butler Creek stock due to the original being badly damaged, the rest have had alterations done to the stock to make them more compatible to their previous owners. I like them all.
Paul B.

Had this rifle for months before I realized it was a M51. Thought it was a 50, told people it was a 50, had some early targets I had marked M50, then later on when having it apart and doing final work on it with the bedding and barrel channel I happened to actually read what's on the barrel and it says right on it Model 51. Duh on my part.

Pretty sure some of the later M51's went to different actions, this one is still a FN Belgium action and when looking in the barrel with a borescope it's pretty obvious it's chrome lined so I'm assuming it's a High Standard barrel those came with. Regardless of what barrel, it's a good one. Easy shooter.

Had this rifle for months before I realized it was a M51. Thought it was a 50, told people it was a 50, had some early targets I had marked M50, then later on when having it apart and doing final work on it with the bedding and barrel channel I happened to actually read what's on the barrel and it says right on it Model 51. Duh on my part.

Pretty sure some of the later M51's went to different actions, this one is still a FN Belgium action and when looking in the barrel with a borescope it's pretty obvious it's chrome lined so I'm assuming it's a High Standard barrel those came with. Regardless of what barrel, it's a good one. Easy shooter.
I think the only difference between the M50 and M51 is the M51 has a bit nicer stock with checkering. Maybe a better bluing job but other that that I don't think there's a heck of a lot of difference between the two barreled actions .Some of my M50s have had Timney triggers added but other than some have slightly altered stocks are basically strictly stock. My favorite bolt action rifles.
Paul B.

Good stuff Jeff. Your vast array of loads would cover a life time of hunting opportunities, all with a single rifle.
I cut my teeth on the 30-06 back when I was a kid.
It's an American classic that's suited for anything in North America.

JD338

I feel bad every time I reach into the safe and gently move my 06 around to reach something else. I‘ve owned that rifle for 55 years. She’s taken bighorns to pronghorns; moose to mice-well sage rats anyway. Mostly with 150s or 180s of Nosler construction. Hard to beat such a classic cartridge.

Good stuff Jeff. Your vast array of loads would cover a life time of hunting opportunities, all with a single rifle.
I cut my teeth on the 30-06 back when I was a kid.
It's an American classic that's suited for anything in North America.

JD338
(y) For providing, or defending, either one, lots of options that will work. I've done my best to be prepared for both. No reason to live in fear but it's not silly to be prepared. Like the people playing shuffle board on the deck of the Titanic, you can ignore it and pretend it isn't happening, but it is.

The 30-06 isn't too old,it was just born before it's time.With modern rifles, powders,bullets,it's better than it ever was.I often wonder if it was introduced today as a new cartridge,no telling what it's popularity would be.Once I started loading for it,I grew a great appreciation for just how good it is.

The 30-06 isn't too old,it was just born before it's time.With modern rifles, powders,bullets,it's better than it ever was.I often wonder if it was introduced today as a new cartridge,no telling what it's popularity would be.Once I started loading for it,I grew a great appreciation for just how good it is.
With today's powders, one could almost rebrand the 30-06 to the 30-06 Magnum.

JD338

My 06 is within 100 fps of my 300 HH, both pushing 180 accubonds or partitions. My loads for the 06 are a 150 ballistic tip at 2950 and a 180 at about 2900. I should check both since I have my new chronograph. Both loads print on the same line vertically. The 180 in an inch and half below the 180. Been that way for better than 20 years. If I need 180s I simply add 4 clicks gets me near a 200 yard zero. Don’t need to do anything else.

My 06 is within 100 fps of my 300 HH, both pushing 180 accubonds or partitions. My loads for the 06 are a 150 ballistic tip at 2950 and a 180 at about 2900. I should check both since I have my new chronograph. Both loads print on the same line vertically. The 180 in an inch and half below the 180. Been that way for better than 20 years. If I need 180s I simply add 4 clicks gets me near a 200 yard zero. Don’t need to do anything else.
Damn, that's impressive. So cool, too.

Yep, too old! The only people who don't like a .30-06 are those that have never tried it or refuse to. If it was such a bum cartridge it would've been abandoned a long time ago. It would not have libraries filled with prose of its praise, nor would it have been used to kill every kind of game animal on the planet, the records of some of which have still never been broken.

I've seen some "one-off" rifles in EVERY caliber but the vast majority of .30-06s that I've had in my hands have shot well. An old friend of mine who has now passed used to say that the .30-06 was perfect for no one thing but worked exceedingly well on everything.

Last edited:
Back