Top 5 wildcat cartridges of all time, so says field and stre

I never really understood the draw for a 280 Ackley improved vs. A straight 280. You get 2.6 grains more powder availability, but at the cost of taking a marginally available cartridge, and making it even more marginally marginal. Does that extra powder space get used often?
I went with the .284win, which looked like a great bet in 1988, but turns out to be the champion of marginality ;)

In any case, two weeks ago when I was shopping at Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse, both of them had bags of 280 AI brass for sale on the floor, as well as dies. They also had 280 Remington, but it seems like everywhere I looked I saw 280 AI, including numerous guns I looked at being chambered in it. I never would have thought it 30 years ago, but it seems like 280 AI is almost more popular than 280 REM now.

PipesMac":3cjhwul8 said:
I never really understood the draw for a 280 Ackley improved vs. A straight 280. You get 2.6 grains more powder availability, but at the cost of taking a marginally available cartridge, and making it even more marginally marginal. Does that extra powder space get used often?
I went with the .284win, which looked like a great bet in 1988, but turns out to be the champion of marginality ;)

In any case, two weeks ago when I was shopping at Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse, both of them had bags of 280 AI brass for sale on the floor, as well as dies. They also had 280 Remington, but it seems like everywhere I looked I saw 280 AI, including numerous guns I looked at being chambered in it. I never would have thought it 30 years ago, but it seems like 280 AI is almost more popular than 280 REM now.

Your 2.6 gr increase sounds kinda small to me. Where did that # come from? My 30-06 Ackley capacity grew by 8 to 10 gr of water on rough average across 3 different makes of brass. Nothing marginal about that.

Some cartridges gain more from the 'Improvement" in a strong bolt action. The 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 280 Rem, 7x57, 30-06 are loaded down for various reasons. These cases are where the Ackleys excel. The 280 was underloaded from the start due to the weaker action of the Rem pumps it was originally chambered in. The 280AI has never been handicapped, being made only in strong modern bolt actions. Along with the bigger boiler room, SAAMI max pressure is noticably higher. Cases can also be made by simply firing factory ammo in the Ackley chamber & rarely need trimming. I have a number of Ackleys & like them all. A 280 Ackley has been on the short list if a good one appears at a reasonable price someday. A 24" barrel is minimum I would consider for an Ackley 30 cal. or under, 26" is better. All of mine also like to be run on the warm side & brass life is phenomenal.

I said 2.6gr powder, but meant water. 65.4 vs 68 gr water from the nosler load data site. With 120gr bullets.

65.4 vs 62.6 is what 140gr bullets.give, so 2.8 gr water. In any case, the max powder loads are pretty close to water. For instance, with 100% powder fill and RL19, 140gr bt, you get 57.0 vs. 61gr. So 4 extra grain of powder fits, basically. That's nice I guess. Good to hear they are easy to fireform.

I was going to rechamber my 700 KS 280 with the 24" tube to a 280AI for a great packing rifle, but it shoots so good as a straight 280 that I dont want to take the chance of screwing it up just for another 100fps...Kinda sucks because I had bought the dies before I even bought the rifle. Already had made my mind up that I was going to rechamber it to the 280 AI...And then I shot it haha. Never shoot the donor!! Still have the 280 AI dies, I guess when I shoot the barrel out of the 280, I'll rebarrel to the 280 AI.

remingtonman_25_06":1re6io1j said:
I was going to rechamber my 700 KS 280 with the 24" tube to a 280AI for a great packing rifle, but it shoots so good as a straight 280 that I dont want to take the chance of screwing it up just for another 100fps...Kinda sucks because I had bought the dies before I even bought the rifle. Already had made my mind up that I was going to rechamber it to the 280 AI...And then I shot it haha. Never shoot the donor!! Still have the 280 AI dies, I guess when I shoot the barrel out of the 280, I'll rebarrel to the 280 AI.
I'd run that reamer up there, worst case you end up with an Ackley improved tomato stake and have an excuse for a new barrel.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I would but I have other areas I need to spend money on first. I'm gonna need to rebarrel my 240 sooner than later, I need a good pair of binocs, and I'm trying to save for a house still.

I remember reading an article that compared the 280 AI, 280 Rem and 7x64. Turns out there was not much difference between them all when loaded to the same pressure. I believe the 280 AI had less than 50 fps advantage over the 280 and the 7x64 was only slightly less. The 280 AI might be more popular these days and makes a lot on sense but I sure wouldn't give up on a good 280 for it. In new barrel pick the one you like the best and go from there, no bad choices here.

remingtonman_25_06":3frdgmlr said:

Ain't nothing wrong with a set of 280 Improved dies hanging around Jorey.....

Back