Trail Boss powder question

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I've never used this stuff, figured someone here may have. Am trying to help a guy who loaded some 223 ammo with it. I don't think he knew what he was dealing with. Hodgdon does list ONE load for the 223 and Trail Boss, 4 grains of the stuff to move a 55 gr bullet at a subsonic 1070 fps.

He's telling me that he loaded 25 grains of Trail Boss into a 223 Rem cartridge.

Is that even possible? I know I can cram 25 grains of Varget into a 223 cartridge, but isn't Trail Boss too bulky to do that? He's got me confused. I guess it would help if I'd ever even used the stuff.

Thanks. Guy

It is very bulky, 14gr fill a 308 2/3 way up. I think he is mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":29gfl5cc said:
It is very bulky, 14gr fill a 308 2/3 way up. I think he is mistaken

Thank you. I think he is too. I think I've got him convinced to pull the bullets and start over, with a more suitable powder.

I think he WAS a good handloader at some point in the past.

Your input is much appreciated!

Guy

14gr of trailboss and 150gr nosler BT will get you 1400fps. Makes a great training load for new shooters

Problem solved. He's pulled all the bullets and is reloading with Varget for his 223. Whew!

I think he had some Trail Boss loads mixed in with his older Varget loads... But I dunno.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts that 25 grains of Trail Boss won't even fit in a 223 case.

Guy

Back