tried 777 for the first time

tkeveney

Beginner
Dec 22, 2008
I tried 777 in my omega for the first time.

Group was not particularly good 3" at 75 yds.

It printed 4 to 5 inches lower than pyrodex (must be moving slower.)

The "kick" was also much less than pyrodex.

I have gotten 1.5" groups from a 3 pellet pyrodex load, and 295 grain powerbelts in the past. I guess I'll go back to the old load.

So far I've tried:

blackhorn 209 - with poor results - not nearly as clean as they claim and groups were awful.

I've tried Hornady sabots and FPB bullets - both seem to pitch knuckleballs.

The best load is still stinky, filthy pyrodex & powerbelts.

I might try the FPB's and pyrodex - I like the design of the FPB bullets and the ballistic coefficient is stellar for a .50 caliber

I've now spent over $100 proving this out.

If anybody wants to buy my leftovers - I'll sell 'em cheap. They do no good on the shelf in the reloading room.

I'm gonna guess its a bullet issue vs powder. My encore shoots the 245 and 295 grain powerbelt aero tips much like you describe. I then tried the 348 grain aerotip powerbelt and its been the ticket on paper and game from deer to elk. It might be big but its not to big for deer, believe me...it makes a nice exit and keeps on truckin.

I tend to agree.

245 gr powerbelts have proven to me to do some erratic things in the field.

Sometimes the lighter bullets tend to tumble. Most folks have a hard time believing that a heavier bullet in 50 caliber will shoot as flat as a light bullet in the 150 to 200 yd range. The differance in drop is small.

Muzzeloaders are not the same as modern rifle cartridges. a 30-06, for example, will shoot much slower with a 180 gr bullet than with a 125 gr. This is not so much due to bullet weight. It is because there is less room for powder in the load with the heavier bullet.

Muzzeloaders do not have this problem. 150 grains of pyrodex is the same charge - regardless of the bullet weight. Velocity is only slightly lower with the bigger bullet - but the ballistic coefficient of the bigger, longer bullet is much better. The drop at 150 or 200 yds is not much more, but the impact is greater.

Maybe I should try the great big honkin' 348's. Or at least the 300 gr premium version of the power belt.

Love the big bang & stinky smoke of the Omega. It's one hellova gun!

Gotta love the smell of burnt powder in the mornin' - it smells like victory!

I have used loose 777 in my M700ML 50 cal and T/C Omega 50 cal with Nosler .451 cal 260 gr PT and a sabot with 1-1.5" groups at 100 yds. The M700ML with the 44 cal 250 gr PT went just under 1 inch with 90 grs 777.
I need to spend some time with the Omega and try different charge weights to see if I can break 1 inch. I just don't seem to have the time......
You may want to consider trying a different bullet with 777 in your Omega.

JD338

My experiences were very similar to Yotesmokers. I had a hard time getting the groups I wanted out of my Winchester until I went to 100 gr of 777 and the 348gr powerbelts. Now it shoot 3 in an inch at 100 yds.

TKE..

First day I shot my Omega about 5 yrs ago, I went with 2-777 pellets and 250gr shockwaves. Put a pie plate at 25, hit it. Put the pie plate at 50, hit it, kool.. So I moved out to 100 with a an orange bullseye on a new paper plate. Went back to bench, aimed with my open sights I have yet to adjust, pulled the trigger, dang near drilled the bull. 3 more bullets went down range on that paperplate... Lets just say that paper plate is dang near suitable for framing and is still on my bulletin board..

Never changed my components or loadings, never considered trying anything else, cant fix what aint broke... I can still smoke a paper plate out to 200 yds each and every time with the Omega and that load.....

Man I wish all my other rifles came outta the box like that...

Rod

My go to load in my Omega is 100 gr. 777 loose powder - Harvester crushed rib sabot -Hornady 44 CAL. 240 gr. XTP-HP. All I can say is it shoots great.I killed a doe last year at 170 yards,I shot her behind the shoulder with a complete pass trough.

I used two of the 777 mag pellets and 250gr Barnes Expander MZ. Velosity was just over 2000fps and accuracy was very good. Killed a large cow moose last fall with it. I'm pretty impressed with the 777 pellets, much better than pyrodex or cleanshot.

My go to load for deer is 110gr of Blackhorn 209 with a Harvester crushed rib sabot with a 270gr Speer deep curl 44mag bullet. My encore endeavor prints 4 shot half inch groups at 100 yards and drops the deer where they stand.

I use 100 grains of FFFG 777 loose . I use a cci shotgun primer . I use a 250 grain shockwave yellow tip bullet , with the yellow sabot . I get very good results with this combo in my encore . I tried the FPB 350 grain bullets with poor results . Hornady wants you to condition the bbl to shoot the FPB's . I'm not leaving my muzzy dirty to be able to shoot a certain bullet . at the range I clean after every shot so it's like a first shot from a clean bore would be while hunting . Jim

my 350FBP target at 100 yds

P9120382.jpg

my 250 shockwave and 240 XTP'swith black sabot at 200 yards . the XTP threw one way high , it's out of the pic , maybe about 13 inches on the tape measure . the shockwaves were very consistent .

P9120381.jpg

Very nice Jim. Might have to break out my old inline and see what it does. Scotty

Jimbires, FFFG is pistol powder. FFG, the gold labled 777 can is for rifles. I don't blame you at all for not wanting to leave your barrel dirty. I'm quite surprised to hear of this with the FPB as I have thought about giving them a try. Like the story goes, why fix what isn't broke.

I never tried FFG . when I bought the encore , the salesman told me he had better luck with the FFFG . so I just bought that and I seem to get good results with it . I'm with you on the if it ain't broke don't fix it . Jim

My Encore loves 100grn by volume Blackhorn, Precision Rifles 240 grn Dead Center and Federal 209A. 1 1/2" -1 3/4" at 200 yds. Velocity 1836 fps were in single digits to low teens. Loaded 10 in a row without having swab like with triple seven or pyrodex. Tried up to 120 grns of BH 209 didn't shoot nearly as well.

never saw an omega that won't shoot this load
3 50 gr pyro (not 777) pellets, 250 gr shockwave sabot. if ya got PB's remove the skirt, cut the nub off the back, drill a 3/32" hole through them lengthwise, use them for weights when carolina rigging, only use I ever found for what I have left from testing.
RR

Ridge_Runner":w9zlohmo said:
never saw an omega that won't shoot this load
3 50 gr pyro (not 777) pellets, 250 gr shockwave sabot. if ya got PB's remove the skirt, cut the nub off the back, drill a 3/32" hole through them lengthwise, use them for weights when carolina rigging, only use I ever found for what I have left from testing.
RR

Every gun is different. My encore loves powerbelts and blackhorn powder. I readily admit my groups get smaller with the shockwaves but man what a pain to reload quickly for a follow up shot for the dumb early season does that scamper 40 yards and look back at their dead buddy.

2 50 grain pellets (100 grains total)of Shockey's Yukon Gold and a 248 Powerbelt Aerotip. Consistently get a good group in my T/C Omega.

Back