Tried something new to me today.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Decided to run some Barnes that I crimped with the Lee factory crimp die. I still love the accuracy of this load. I took my time today and waited two minutes between shots. During that two minute wait I dry fired, didn't figure it would hurt anything and I believe it helped my concentration.
89bd1705da56288afb555eb6ddb5d0e8.jpg
b0edb72d8786e0ef00881373b1e58ec4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that the FCD really, really helped all my loads in any caliber with the mono bullets. I feel they are so slick the crimp gives them a good "bullet pull". It also keeps them in the case on top of compressed loads in storage, ha! Great benchrest technique, btw! Not every man is a "Rifle-man", :)

Thanks! I read somewhere that crimping the Barnes seemed to help since all the grooves on the bullet cut down on the bearing surface. Don't know if that's true or not, but doesn't seem to have hurt. And dry firing for two minutes straight seemed to help my concentration no doubt. This load is also slightly compressed with 43.3 gr of RL16.

I have used the Lee Factory Crimp Dies when loading a bunch of old military rifles but never used it for my modern rifles because they all shoot what I think is really good. I can attest that the Lee Factory Crimp Die usage in the old military rifles which most have throats a mile long really increases their accuracy. I am shooting cup and core bullets and many are match bullets, Sierra Match Kings, Nosler match or Hornady Amax. I may have to do some experimenting with it's use with the loads for my modern rifles that I THINK is already accurate. I might find that they will shoot groups half a bullet hole in size LOL. One thing I have found is that when using the Lee Factory Crimp Die you need to leave your cases at least 5 thousands longer that the trim to length so you will have enough case to get a crimp on.

1Shot":35r1yxwr said:
I have used the Lee Factory Crimp Dies when loading a bunch of old military rifles but never used it for my modern rifles because they all shoot what I think is really good. I can attest that the Lee Factory Crimp Die usage in the old military rifles which most have throats a mile long really increases their accuracy. I am shooting cup and core bullets and many are match bullets, Sierra Match Kings, Nosler match or Hornady Amax. I may have to do some experimenting with it's use with the loads for my modern rifles that I THINK is already accurate. I might find that they will shoot groups half a bullet hole in size LOL. One thing I have found is that when using the Lee Factory Crimp Die you need to leave your cases at least 5 thousands longer that the trim to length so you will have enough case to get a crimp on.

Was my first time crimping any rifle ammo. I also shoot cup and core mainly, and have never crimped them. They always shoot so well so easily, that I never thought about it. Just trying new things with the Barnes, even though they are plenty accurate without the crimp too.

I use the Lee FCD on all my hunting ammo, which is basically all my ammo, for a few reasons. I don't understand the comment on leaving cases longer. I run cases through the trimmer every time to minimum. It is important that they are all trimmed to the same length if you are going to crimp.

Back