triggers for rem 700

RiverRider":1nmwwty6 said:
I agree that the original trigger can be very good. I would also say that some that I have had were better than others. The one that came on my 700 Classic was one that wasn't quite as good, even after I replaced the pull weight spring with one from Ernie the Gunsmith.

I'm the last person who would support an attack on a gun manufacturer (unless they betrayed us, the citizenry)...nonetheless, I think every 700 owner owes it to himself to look this document over very carefully and with an open mind. I was VERY skeptical that there really is a problem with the Walker trigger and I still believe there was a lot of politically motivated chicanery going on when the media attacked Remington a few years back, but after looking this information over I could not help but come to the conclusion that the design is problematic.

http://www.rifflawfirm.com/areas/pdf/remington4.pdf

The truth just is what it is. Please look this info over if you're a 700 owner.

I read through the document, and I've read the patent multiple times as well. I'll only say that the truth here is this document was written by a plaintiff's lawyer to specifically sway opinion against the "Walker Trigger." There are numerous leading statements and nondocumentable conclusions in the paper, and the most damning quotes from the patent are taken out of context. No mention is made of the section starting on Page 3, Line 71 of said Patent, which states,

Trigger spring 42 seats against an adjustable screw 43 and bears on the forward face of the connector resiliently urging the connector into engagement with the trigger and through the connector, resiliently urging the upper end of the trigger rearwardly.

Why is this important? Well, because it causes the connector to substantially remain in contact with the trigger except for the very moment of sear disengagement, which is what is discussed in the section quoted from Page 4, Line 40 through 45, though not completely quoted, as that would provide a full description of what occurs, rather than two statements which sound contradictory in the plaintiff's lawyers' report. What it actually says is,

If we examine the functioning of the unit, we will observe that the trigger and connector move as a unit until the instant the connector starts to clear the edge of the sear step. At this point the trigger stops but the connector is restrained only by the relatively light trigger spring 42 and, as the sear is cammed down, the radii existing on the points of the connector and sear cause the connector to be cammed forwardly and completely clear the sear step. This allows a clean crisp let-off closely approaching the target shooter's ideal without requiring any additional trigger movement after release is first instigated.

What this says, for those who don't read patent descriptions regularly, is that the trigger and connector move as one, right up until the sear disengages. At that moment, the connector cams forward slightly, giving the 'glass rod' break to the Remington trigger. Now, this camming forward is minute. On the order of thousandths of an inch, and only occurs after the trigger itself has been sufficiently pivoted (pulled) to achieve disengagement of the sear from the lip (radius) of the connector, which then is cammed forward ever so slightly to clear the sear step (the part that sticks down from the sear and rides on the connector/trigger structure. The entire discussion about the part with no benefit (in the report, on page 4, just below the quoted "At this point the trigger stops but the connector..." is total BS. I have several Remington 700 and 7 rifles available to me, and two within reach of my desk right now. On both of these rifles, with factory Walker triggers which have been properly adjusted, the trigger does, indeed, stop right at the point of sear disengagement. There is no overtravel, because the overtravel screw (which does not rest against the connector, but protrudes through a hole in the connector and rests against the trigger, only, is properly adjusted on these triggers. My triggers stop dead when the sear disengages. All properly adjusted Remington triggers do. That's the design. So discussing how that's not what happens is total BS, and leads uninformed folks to believe the design is inherently flawed, due to the leading statements made to appear as fact, when they are in point of fact, untrue.

Now, it is fair to say that engineers might debate the merits of this design at length, and I suspect there are folks who would come down on either side, and sizeable numbers of each. But the facts are the facts. Or, to borrow from RiverRider above, "The truth is just what it is." And in this case, the truth is, not once in the history of time, not one time, not ever, not by any human being, ever, not once, not even by the TV media guys who rigged explosives on Chevy truck gas tanks to make a story, has anyone ever been able to find, demonstrate, or show as an example any Remington trigger with debris between the trigger and connector, in any measurable amount which in any capacity has changed the actuation of the connector in any such manner as to render the trigger unsafe. It has never been found, seen, evidenced, or demonstrated. It is a theory, just like the old, now disproven theory that the Earth was flat. It is a theory, postulated by a professional witness with an axe to grind, who has said under oath that no Remington "Walker" trigger ever in the history of time has, to his knowledge, ever exhibited the behavior he theorizes. Considering the design of the trigger, and how the connector and trigger fit together, if debris were to work its way in between the two, it would be inherently difficult for that debris to work its way out from between the two after the unintentional discharge, so that no evidence was found to support the theory. But, that is the truth - no evidence has ever been found to support this theory. What does that mean? It means this theory is no more valid than a theory which states that Remington "Walker" trigger-equipped rifles discharge unintentionally because little green fairies float up out of the grass and sit on the trigger, and are heavy enough to cause the rifle to discharge. That's right. There is the exact same amount of demonstrable evidence proving both of those theories as to how these unintentional discharges occur.

Additionally, the following statements from the lawyer's report are demonstrably false by examination of the patent and the actual operation of the trigger itself:

The Remington-Walker has an extra part that's free to move around inside the housing. That's the connector.

Nope. Re-read the patent. It clearly states, and it's blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes, that the connector is held relatively tightly against the trigger by the trigger spring (part number 42 in the patent diagrams).

The top of the Remington trigger housings are totally exposed in the rear tang of the rifle. At each operation of the sear, debris is 'pumped' into the housing. (Look at the top of the bolt release to see the stuff that comes all the way through the trigger.) Each operation of the bolt pushes more material into
the vicinity of the sear opening.

Not exactly. The top is only open if you don't have the bolt in the rifle. (Now, I'm pretty sure with the bolt removed from the rifle, there's no chance of discharge, unintentional or intentional. And with no bolt in the rifle, there can be no debris getting "pumped" into the trigger mechanism. I'd be curious to know what the pump mechanism is, as there is not one visible in any diagram I've seen, nor on any of the several hundred Remington rifles which I have personally handled and inspected. I'm not sure what they are referring to as the top of the bolt release, as the top of all mine (and all I've ever inspected) is a knife edge, and has no debris on it, for certain. If they mean the upper surface of the lever you push from the trigger guard area, I'd argue that any debris there is dust from fingers and field held there by gravity. It's far too loose and uncompacted to be "pumped into the action" as stated in the lawyer's report.

Now, I could go on for several more paragraphs detailing the flaws of this plaintiff's lawyer's report, but I'm afraid most folks have stopped reading already anyway. For those of you who have stuck with me, I'll just finish by asking whether or not you believe the person who compiled this report had, as we say here in the south, a dog in this fight? I suspect it was compiled by a law clerk at this firm, in anticipation of an upcoming multi-million dollar suit against Remington, and the money trail tells you why and how this report was compiled.

Certainly if you want to avoid the Walker trigger, feel free to do so. But it's not a flawed design, and it's not responsible for the various (and precious few, I might add) incidents involving unintentional discharge of Remington rifles. One more thing to note, as well - Never once in the history of all the lawsuits has anyone, plaintiff or defendant, been able to reproduce any unintentional discharges from Remington rifles except in cases where the trigger is grossly maladjusted post-purchase, or the firearm is in severe neglect and has corrosion and deterioration issues in the trigger and on the action itself. Only in those cases where people rendered their guns unsafe through intentional adjustment or neglect has there been a documentable, repeatable unintentional discharge. I know, guys will come on here and say they know of some, but none of the court cases have ever produced one. Not once. The people getting rich off this are the trial lawyers, folks. And they wrote this report. Biased? Yep.

I think you miss several points, dubyam.

I might disagree with the author of the document as to the purpose of the connector. The author supposes that it was done to make the Walker trigger patentable. As I see it, it is designed to perfect the overtravel adjustability. I am sure you are familiar with triggers that require a bit more overtravel slop in order for the sear to not drag on the backside of the trigger. Allowance for the connector to cam forward as this design negates that issue and is actually quite ingenious. Unfortunately it creates other problems.

The patent may say that the spring 42 keeps the connector engaged with the trigger, but that is unfortunately and most definitely is NOT the case. Even if you adjust the trigger to a ten pound pull, the possibility always exists for debris to find its way into the space between the connector and trigger while the sear has the connector cammed forward (which condition exists anytime the rifle is not cocked) and this will affect the position of the connector in relation to the trigger, which in turn WILL have an effect on the amount of sear engagement.

On my own rifle, I adjusted the trigger pull weight until I felt like it was as light as possible yet still safe and reliable. I do not have a trigger scale, but I would estimate the pull was about four and a half pounds---not as good as I would have liked, but I was willing to run with it until I replaced it with something else. The odd thing I always noticed with it was that when operated without ever engaging the safety, the feel of the trigger was okay. But if I engaged the safety then applied pressure to the trigger and then disengaged the safety, I could discern a definite increase in perceptible creep. Whan I looked more carefully at the way this trigger works, that oddity began to make sense. What was happening was that with the safety engaged, pressure on the trigger caused the connector to come into more complete contact with the trigger, which in turn increased the sear engagement and caused more perceptible creep. What this means is that the pull weight (or return) spring was NOT fully effective in keeping the connector in full contact with the trigger.

Other observations: ANYTHING that keeps the connector from full, maximum contact with the trigger will cause inconsistency in sear engagement. ANYTHING that impedes the movement of the connector, whether it be debris, old stiffened lubriaction, or drag resulting from safety cam wear that causes the sear to not fully lift when the safety is engaged---any of these things will cause the relationship between the connector and the trigger to NOT be what it is SUPPOSED to be.

In my opinion, the Walker trigger can be made just as safe and consistent as any other trigger by tig welding the connector to the trigger lever. That requires that the camming surface on the connector be eliminated, but that is a very simple modification. A tiny bit of clearance then has to be allowed for the overtravel adjustment, but that advantage of the Walker design just really isn't all that great anyway.

We will have to agree to disagree on some of your points, RiverRider. But as to the debris issue, I will challenge you to find me a Walker trigger ever in the history of time in which this buildup occurred and was documented, rather than a case where this was assumed with absolutely zero proof. It just hasn't happened. I know because I've searched far and wide for this specific case. The whole welding issue with the Walker trigger is completely unnecessary when you consider the debris theory is completely unfounded. Could it happen? Perhaps. But up to now, there's as much evidence of it as there is my "Green Fairy" theory. Any ideas how we can fairy-proof this trigger?

I'll agree to disagree but I'll extend you the courtesy of refraining from insulting sarcasm as a bonus. You may insist something does not exist because you have not found it, but that does not prove its nonexistence. You may even declare the nonexistence of mountains while standing on top of one, but it would have little bearing on reality.

It's not just that I haven't found it, RR. Nobody has. Not even the prone populating the theory can demonstrate any evidence. That's the ludicrous nature of this BS theory. It has never existed except in some lawyer's imagination.

I know credible people who have had issues with 700 triggers, and even with rifles that were brand new. So now tell me that I do NOT know these people or that they did NOT have these experiences. Reality is not limited to what takes place in a courtroom any more than closing your eyes makes the world go away and opinions have no bearing in matters of fact.

I dont want to get into a passing match. You're welcome to distrust the Walker trigger mechanism all you like. I never said there are no possible issues with the trigger. There are possible issues with every trigger. I said, and I stand by the statement, that nobody, ever, in the history of time, ever, anywhere, in any fashion, has found debris under their connector which caused an unintentional discharge. If your credible friends have done so, they should document and report it as they've found the holy grail and plaintiff's lawyers everywhere will pay them princely sums to be expert witnesses in trial after trial suing Remington. They could be millionaires overnight. But i suspect the reason there are no Walker Trigger Debris Millionaires is because the debris theory is pure fiction.

Again, under oath, more than once the purveyors of this debris theory have been forced to admit it has never, ever been documented to have actually occurred in real life. And at no trial, ever, has a rifle blamed for improper discharge been found to be reproducible without returning said trigger to a state of gross disrepair or maladjustment. This is the truth. Disbelief does not change that.

You are insisting that if something has not been proven in a court of law to have taken place, then it never happened. I don't think I could prove the sun rose this morning to someone who is emotionally invested in denying it. Maybe it nevet occured to you that no one has taken the debris isdue to court because they could never win. It becomes a maintenance issue, doesn't it? So the blame falls right back on the consumer and maybe rightly so, but do you want a vehicle that simoly wuits running when it runs out of gas or a vehicle tjat catvhes fire and burns to the ground? Would you now like to tackle the issue of 700s firing when the safety is disengaged, or would it just be more of the same?

Okay. This is my last post, just to clear the fog on what I'm actually saying.

I'm not saying anything about stuff having to be proven in court. I'm saying that nobody, anywhere, ever, in the history of the world, has ever, in any way, shape, or form, documented a single case of debris under the connector causing the Walker trigger design to unintentionally discharge. Not in a courtroom, barroom, bedroom, or hospital room. Nowhere. Ever. Even the people who propose the theory will tell you, if you ask them directly enough times (as I've witnessed in both court recordings and TV interviews, and assume they would confirm in person should I ever be able to question them directly) they have never ever, not even once, witnessed a Walker trigger suffering from this debris theory. Based on the lack of existence in nature with any documentation, of any kind, anywhere, I call it a false theory. It really is no more documented than my "Green Fairy" theory. And I've never been in court to testify about that theory.

As for the safety release discharge, it should be noted that in every case that's been brought to public attention, no rifle in good repair has ever had this problem except in instances of gross neglect (think corrosion layers all over the action, barrel, and trigger parts below the stock line) or gross misadjustment. Now, could triggers be misadjusted at the factory? Certainly. If one of those triggers makes it through QC and ends up in a customer's hands, is Remington liable? Most certainly. But the trigger design is not at fault any more than my truck's design is at fault if I adjust the brakes out to where they don't contact the rotors and then complain the truck won't stop.

I'll gladly let you have the last word on this, as I'm truly done. You clearly believe what you believe, and I am unable to reconcile that with the known facts about this trigger mechanism, when separated from the supposition and theory which has no documentable fact as its basis. We shall, as I said earlier, have to agree to disagree.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread a bit, as well.

I think the document does a good enough job of exposing the weakness of the Walker trigger design and anyone who doesn't suffer some kind of knee-jerk compulsion to defend it will see that the potential problems with it are real, whether anyone has documented or proven it to your satisfaction or not. I DID completely disassemble a 700 trigger to examine it closely, and the suggested failure modes are most definitely within the realm of possibility.

Your insistence that the malfunction is not documented ever in the history of the world is based, I believe, on a short video clip of Belk testifying in a single cross-examination that in a single case involving a single rifle, he could not get it to malfunction. Talk about cherry picking. That clip amounts to character assassination, probably promoted by Freedom Group and is obviously nothing but a smear. And it most certainly does NOT disprove the myriad of cases where malfunctions are said to have occurred.

I am willing to bet that there are several here who have had accidental discharges with 700s due to malfunctions and through no fault of their own, but I also believe they will not speak up because they would rather not have to endure the ridicule, criticism, and accusations of incompetence...this reminds me of the story about the caged monkeys who are conditioned to beat newcomers for acting in certain ways, and never really knowing why.

It's really a shame when open and honest discussion can't take place, and especially where the safety of those concerned could be jeopardized.

And now since you have graciously given me the last word, I am also done with this unless someone would like to ask me about this via PM.

And I'll add that I have no malice toward you and will act accordingly. Just because two folks disagree does not mean they must bludgeon one another at every turn in perpetuity.

Had some modified 700 triggers. One on the -06 failed and would go off once the safety was released. The local range master told me I am not the only he has seen that happen to. Probably related to the same gunsmith... who knows. With that:

My 700's now have Timney's, Schillens and Kiplinger single set's. Though not wide, I really like the Kiplingers with the Timney a real close second.

Personally, I would never modify another trigger but keep it for the future to keep the rifle original if I changed my mind. Timneys are not expensive and if you are on a budget, its a no brainer.

Good Luck!

WM

Back