Trout Creek Mtn's, Oregon

Norseman

Beginner
May 6, 2006
Anybody hunt the Trout Creek Mountains in Oregon?
I am thinking about applying for this unit since I already have 8 prefernce points. I've heard conflicting statement about this unit such not enough deer or that the deer populations has not recovered since 1993 and that the mountain lions are destroying the populations as well.
I wonder what other units I should I apply for instead, any suggestions? :shock:

I have heard only bad news about that part of the state lately. Predation, hard winters and other factors have taken a huge toll on the deer herds down there. I bet there still are some huge bucks running around the remote canyons but it's "not like it used to be." What you have to ask yourself is why you want to hunt there. If you are a fan of that environment...the mountains, sage, vast roadless, and remoteness, then by all means you should apply. There is nothing else like it around. Will you see a 30" buck? I wouldn't bet on it.

Sorry, this is just what I've heard from people that really love that corner of the state. They are not happy with the current state of affairs.

Mark

I applied for the Trout Creek as 1st choice with my brother who only had 2 preference points and I also chose the Columbia Basin unit as a second choice. I've gotten my second choice tags for the last 5 or 6 years when applying for the Columbia Basin unit as second choice. I've decided to wait until next year to apply for the Trout Creek unit . In the meantime, I am going to take a trip down there this summer do some coyete & jack rabbit hunting and get an idea what this place looks like and perhap's talk to the local game biologists.

RemingtonMan 25 06,

I hunt outside of a small town knowned as "bulldogs" and also that town that's so boring you just stand around in the field.
Even though Columbia Basin unit is mostly private @ 98%, I alway's knocked on the farmer door and ask for permisson. :roll:

Back