Trying 430gr Cast In 45-70

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
I just finished casting some 430 grain FPGC for deer in my 45-70. I have a great hard cast 405 grain load with the same bullet mold at 1824 fps. I cast these with just enough Linotype to help them fill the mold well. They are probably a little softer than wheel weights, as I can cut them easily with my fingernail. I figure on running them up to 1400-1500 fps with 35-36 grains of IMR-4198. With their softness and wide meplat they should hit pretty hard. Using White Label lube with the gas check should keep them from leading, not to mention they are sized correctly for my bore at .459
932107E0-A317-42B5-A37E-E7B437BB3B58.jpeg

Joec7651":1gpfrdzz said:
I just finished casting some 430 grain FPGC for deer in my 45-70. I have a great hard cast 405 grain load with the same bullet mold at 1824 fps. I cast these with just enough Linotype to help them fill the mold well. They are probably a little softer than wheel weights, as I can cut them easily with my fingernail. I figure on running them up to 1400-1500 fps with 35-36 grains of IMR-4198. With their softness and wide meplat they should hit pretty hard. Using White Label lube with the gas check should keep them from leading, not to mention they are sized correctly for my bore at .459
Wow. Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good looking bullet. It should punch a nice hole through a deer.

JD338

Thank you. The hard cast version I load with this bullet shoot extremely well in my 1895, so I’ve got fair belief this one will also. I want to see how this flat point does when cast very soft. The best way I can describe it is I want it to act like a big chunk of bubble gum. I want it to deform. I’m not worried about penetration, that will happen by default. It’s a long 430 grain bullet. I may try it with pure lead too. I’ll just keep the mold hotter so it fills well.

I've shot a good number of different cast bullet weights in my Pedersoli 45-70 Sharps Rifle, actually from 300 Grain all the way up to 500. the 430 grain seems to be the Happy medium and I've had great accuracy with it. Very east to cast and just plain works.

Both my 45-70’s have shot every load I’ve tried pretty well. Certainly some better than others. Which sometimes makes it tough to decide on my load. The 2 loads so far have been the 350gr Hot Cor at 2130-2145 fps, and my cast 405’s at 1825 fps. Neither of which even slow down when smacking a deer. I’m slowing it down and softening the bullet to try and give it good thump on target, and not quite so much thump on me. After all, I’m shooting deer and black bear not rinoceropottamus.

Joec7651":2838fqlk said:
Thank you. The hard cast version I load with this bullet shoot extremely well in my 1895, so I’ve got fair belief this one will also. I want to see how this flat point does when cast very soft. The best way I can describe it is I want it to act like a big chunk of bubble gum. I want it to deform. I’m not worried about penetration, that will happen by default. It’s a long 430 grain bullet. I may try it with pure lead too. I’ll just keep the mold hotter so it fills well.
I see a lot of merit in where you’re going. Not every cast bullet needs to penetrate a rhinoceros from bow to stern. [emoji1] Let us know how it turns out.

Cool stuff Joe. That's one thing I haven't ventured into yet. I need to change that. The little bit I looked into it, it seemed like a good bit of stuff to learn which I'm not afraid of, but just too busy I guess.

One of these days I'll probably learn enough to get started and go hog wild with it. I'll have to bend some of you guy's ears on here for advice. That's a great looking bullet. Should pack a wallop.

ShadeTree":o2kn8brh said:
Cool stuff Joe. That's one thing I haven't ventured into yet. I need to change that. The little bit I looked into it, it seemed like a good bit of stuff to learn which I'm not afraid of, but just too busy I guess.

One of these days I'll probably learn enough to get started and go hog wild with it. I'll have to bend some of you guy's ears on here for advice. That's a great looking bullet. Should pack a wallop.
Thank you sir. There’s satisfaction there when you cast the bullet, work up your own accurate load, and harvest an animal you respect humanely. It’s also relaxing quiet time for me.

I’m by no means an expert. I started out casting round balls and conical bullets for my muzzleloaders. I’m too cheap to pay $15-20 for 100 round balls. I compete with my black powder rifles and .54 caliber balls got expensive. I built the rifles so I figured I may as well do it all at that point. Then it spilled over to my 45-70’s.

I think starting with pure lead helped me with casting centerfire bullets. Pure lead is more temperamental than harder alloys. The mold has to be hotter, and lead melts at a higher temp than alloys. I think alloys are more forgiving and fill out the mold more easily. Correct bullet size is paramount. It’s better to have a cast bullet a smidge too big than too small. You actually want cast bullets to be .001-.002” over bore diameter. An undersized bullet will turn your bore into a lead sewer pipe, and won’t be very accurate. Lead fouling SUCKS to clean out. Lol

I can not wait to see your results. I have GOT to get my 45-90 out again

Great photo of a good-looking bullet. Wow!

I'd think that ought to do just fine on most game in North America. What wouldn't it clobber?

Goodness! (y)

Guy

Joec7651":1out57l6 said:
Both my 45-70’s have shot every load I’ve tried pretty well. Certainly some better than others. Which sometimes makes it tough to decide on my load. The 2 loads so far have been the 350gr Hot Cor at 2130-2145 fps, and my cast 405’s at 1825 fps. Neither of which even slow down when smacking a deer. I’m slowing it down and softening the bullet to try and give it good thump on target, and not quite so much thump on me. After all, I’m shooting deer and black bear not rinoceropottamus.
Did you get much expansion hot cor ? I love the frontal area on that cast bullet !

Did you get much expansion hot cor ? I love the frontal area on that cast bullet!

I don’t know, I’ve never recovered one. Lol. I’d have to say it did expand. Half inch hole on entry and 1” on exit. Sorry for the delayed response.

Back