Tumbling tarnished bullets??

nosler06

Handloader
Nov 13, 2012
Just wondering if anyone has ever used a case tumbler to take the tarnish off of the bullet itself. I know not to tumble live rounds, but just wondered if the tumbler would clean some of the darker tarnished color from the bullet before I pressed them into the cases? :?

That is exactly how we polish them before they are inspected and packaged here at the factory. It works great.

NoslerMP":lz2xo4jd said:
That is exactly how we polish them before they are inspected and packaged here at the factory. It works great.

Well now don't I feel stupid. Now that you said that I remember that I have seen that process before. My appologies for the dumb question. :oops:

My appologies for the dumb question.

The dumb question is the one that is never asked. Undoubtedly, there were others wondering the same thing.

Yes, I have done it before. I have also used Brasso too.

JD338

DrMike":1b0ry2t5 said:
My appologies for the dumb question.

The dumb question is the one that is never asked. Undoubtedly, there were others wondering the same thing.

I may be remembering this wrong, but I had a college prof who used to say, "There are no dumb questions, just dumb people asking questions."

Maybe I got that wrong...

:shock:

bought some 6.5 140 moly'd amax's once for cheap, into the tumbler they went, in 2 hrs they came out un-moly'd.
RR

nosler06":14k8mmcn said:
Just wondering if anyone has ever used a case tumbler to take the tarnish off of the bullet itself. I know not to tumble live rounds, but just wondered if the tumbler would clean some of the darker tarnished color from the bullet before I pressed them into the cases? :?

Has anybody had one go off? I had some live rounds get tarnished and was thinking of putting them in the tumbler but I guess that is a no no?

I had a friend who tried this once and it worked well. I will never admit that it was me!

About tumbling live ammo - What about the powder "sticks" or "ball" getting broken down and changing the burn rate / pressure? Does this or can this happen?

Palouser, do not tumble live ammo. First, if a pointed bulled hits the primer of another round things will get interesting. Secondly, it will change the powder by breaking it down and change burning rate. Many moons ago one of our well known bullet companies did tests on ammo tumbling and came up with the above results.

Uh oh...I tumbled a box, none went off but now I can't remember which box it was. What do you recommend? Cant necessarily throw away all my 270 ammo. Any recommendations?

JD338[/quote]

I have heard that you should not use brasso in a tumbler to polish brass. They say that the ammonia in it can cause the brass to become brittle. Will it have the same effect on copper? Thoughts?
BP

BP736":3om882lg said:

JD338

I have heard that you should not use brasso in a tumbler to polish brass. They say that the ammonia in it can cause the brass to become brittle. Will it have the same effect on copper? Thoughts?
BP[/quote]
yes, brass is just a mixture of copper and tin
RR

Back