Turkey fly down

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Went bow hunting this morning and got on stand well before sunrise. As soon as it got light enough to start making out individual tress, the turkeys started some soft clucks and purrs then it increased i to a cacophony of yelps, clucks and fly down cackles. I’ve been close to them when they fly down, but never right in the middle. Sounds like the tops of the trees and coming down and the cackles are deafening. Once on the ground the matriarch hen starts her gathering yelp and the gather up on the ground clucking, purring, yelping and flapping their wings and “bumping” into one another. Almost like they’re happy to see who made it through the night and say good morning. As they gather into a flock and vocalizing slowly fades with just a few clucks now and then as they wonder off following the boss… must have been 20 birds. And I doubt you could have heard much of anything over them. I’ve heard them do it a dozen or so times in my life, but when you’re smack in the middle, .it’s a hell of a thing!

Oh, and every so often a gobbler would bust loose with a booming gobble, but I think they all knew the the big, old hen is the boss...

I don't really care for the taste of Wild Turkey. It's those sounds and sights and the challenge of outwitting an old bearded gobbler, then making a perfect shot with my 40 caliber flintlock, that drags me out of bed a spring morning.

Went bow hunting this morning and got on stand well before sunrise. As soon as it got light enough to start making out individual tress, the turkeys started some soft clucks and purrs then it increased i to a cacophony of yelps, clucks and fly down cackles. I’ve been close to them when they fly down, but never right in the middle. Sounds like the tops of the trees and coming down and the cackles are deafening. Once on the ground the matriarch hen starts her gathering yelp and the gather up on the ground clucking, purring, yelping and flapping their wings and “bumping” into one another. Almost like they’re happy to see who made it through the night and say good morning. As they gather into a flock and vocalizing slowly fades with just a few clucks now and then as they wonder off following the boss… must have been 20 birds. And I doubt you could have heard much of anything over them. I’ve heard them do it a dozen or so times in my life, but when you’re smack in the middle, .it’s a hell of a thing!
Been there and done that - a couple of times! It really is an experience. Glad that you got a front row seat to such an event. Dan

I don't really care for the taste of Wild Turkey. It's those sounds and sights and the challenge of outwitting an old bearded gobbler, then making a perfect shot with my 40 caliber flintlock, that drags me out of bed a spring morning.
There are a few game animals that are less desirable as table fare; and yet they have a strange draw on my heart. I truly need to carry a camera much as Guy does with such elegance.

There are a few game animals that are less desirable as table fare; and yet they have a strange draw on my heart. I truly need to carry a camera much as Guy does with such elegance.
Generally all ill save is the breast fillets. They can be “good” slow roasted. But turkey chorizo is where they most often end up at my house.

Generally all ill save is the breast fillets. They can be “good” slow roasted. But turkey chorizo is where they most often end up at my house.
Sounds delectable! Yeah, I'm getting some chorizo out of the freezer to make a meal for tomorrow. Today is packed for me, but tomorrow...

Father in law has his turkeys smoked. The little I had was very good. CL
That’s a dandy idea. I might try it with my next bird. I do like smoked turkey cold cuts sandwiches. My mother would filet out the breasts to roast, and the rest went into soup or stock.

Back