Turkey Guns

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here is a few pictures of my turkey gun. It is a 11-87 Super Magnum. It has a 26" tube with a Primos Jelly Head choke in it. I mounted a Tru Glo one piece saddle mount on it, and man, it is really nice to have rifle like precision with a turkey gun. It really patterns well with Winchester Supreme #6's Hevi shot and Remington Hevi Shot #5's. It will put about 30 pellets in the head and neck at 40 and about 15 or so at 50. Other than the extractor problems, it is a great gun! Scotty

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

Very nice setup. Very similar to mine except I have a 3" version with synthetic stocks. These rem's are shooters as evidenced by your patterns. Very effective to say the least. :grin: :grin:

Thanks GB. I am waiting on an extractor rod for mine. While trying to verify my zero, the extractor rod parted ways with the bolt carrier group. A 3.97 piece almost shut down opening morning for me. I due like the Red Dot on it, very easy to use and alot more precise than the bead. Scotty

Scotty,

I have the same 11-87, mine has the black synthetic stock. This year I am going to try the Hevi Shot Mag Blend with the Pure Gold .670" Turkey Choke.

JD338

If it shoots anything like the .660 Jelly Head, you will destroy a bird. I think you would shoot its head clean off at under 20 yards the pattern is so tight. That is the main reason I went with the red dot, so I don't miss at closer ranges with such a tight pattern. Scotty

Yes, she shoots tight up close. The Tom I shat last year was 54 yds.
My nephew missed a Tom 2 yrs ago I put in his lap at 10 yds! His follow up shot at 30 yds dumped him!

JD338

I wanted to show you fellas my pattern from my 11-87 Super Mag 12 ga 3.5" magnum using a Pure Gold .670 choke and Hevi 13 Mag Blend.
Shot at 40 yds with a Red Dot scope. 198 hits in a 10" circle. Temp was 61 deg with a slight cross breeze.
H13MagBlend3512ga40yds.jpg

I made a slight adjustment and will verify my target and post results.
What do you think? Any room for improvement or should I be happy as a lark?

JD338

I would say Happy has a Lark. That is pretty awesome. Imagine what it would do at 20 yards. It would be like guillotine. Scotty

Jim,

Though not a turkey hunter, I'd say that no turkey at that distance is safe.

I have two turkey guns. One is an 870 SPS Turkey 3" chamber, 19" barrel, it shoots 3" Hevi13 2oz #6's in the 150-160 range at 40yds in a 10" circle.
870-Gadsen.jpg

The other is my 24" 835 nonported, it is brutal! I don't have a good picture of the gun, but here is a pattern. 43yds, 38 degrees, Hevi13 2.25oz #6's, .676 StarDot choke.
StarDotHevi13-6s.jpg

Heath,

You are there! Nice pattern for sure.

JD338

Heath,

It is hard to imagine a turkey evading a pattern like that at anything less than 43 yards!

Thanks guys, pretty pleased with both guns, now I just have to find a bird that wants to let me try one out on it. Season here in TN has been rough so far.

JD, I completely missed your Mag Blend pattern, very nice! Those Pure Gold chokes sure throw an even pattern. Good to see you over at OldGobbler.com, careful though, that site will make you spend lots of money if you aren't careful! :D

Heath, that is one awesome pattern. May have to mess with Mag Blend after this season. I am shooting Rem Hevi13 #6's 1-7/8oz's. They are pretty deadly for me. Winchester Supreme 2oz's of #5's are about the same. Man, that really brings the level of turkey guns up a notch or so. Scotty

I love to tinker, especially with turkey guns and I have shot everything but Nitro Ammo from my 835 and I have literaly shot everything from my 870. Both guns have barrels that are highly polished. The 870 was with JB/Kroil and it looks fantastic. The 835 looked like it was cut with a dull spoon. I actually had to start on it with Kroil+Valve Grinding Compound, then go to JB+Kroil and I finished it off with Turtle Wax Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound+Kroil. It still has a couple spots that bother me, but the way it shoots I just leave it be. It will shoot 140-150 in a 10" and 260-280 in the 20" at 40yds with 3.5" Winchester 2oz lead. The only thing that compares to the Hevi13 2.25oz load is the Winchester Xtended Range #6's, it was 160-172 in the 10" in great weather, the Hevi13 beats that in the cold, I figure I am over 200 in the 10" in the right weather.

A guy on OldGobbler killed a big sow and several smaller pigs with Hevi13 #6's, that pretty much took away any doubt I had about them on turkeys. :)

Here is my other turkey gun. It is a bone stock New England Firearms SB2 10 gauge with the factory turkey choke. I used it quite alot before I joined the Marine Corps, but it has sat dormant in my safe for quite awhile now. I am thinking I am going to get it a red dot site, a good turkey choke and see what it does with HEVI SHOT. It would roll turkeys at 40 yards really back then, I bet it will be awesome with a little work. Scotty

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

That NEF 10 ga should be a Turkey slayer for sure. :lol:

JD338

Here is my 11-87 Super Mag 12 ga 3.5" Magnum ready to go for Turkey Season. Choke is a Pure Gold .670", Square B Saddle mount with a Tasco Red Dot scope.
I11-87SuperMag.jpg

JD338

Nice, looks good Jim. Hopefully your season starts a little more action packed than mine has! Scotty

Back