Turkey guns

I used a 1/2" electric drill, the 3/8" a touch small and you'll smoke a cordless, and whatever you do put it in a vise. Your hands and forearms willl thank you later.

I used the old gobbler link but used WD40 and no. 7 rubbing compound with the green pad. After 500 passes it was bright. I did this before I shot the gun so I don't know if it helped but I was able to get 210 in 10" at 40 yards. I know I could push for higher numbers but I want a nice even pattern.

The Hevi #7 does the trick!!!

WD left a film in my barrel that hurt my patterns. One thing I do after a polish and clean is run a couple of patches with alcohol down the barrel, it's amazing what it will bring out.

Who makes a good turkey gun? I want something all camo, short barrel (24" or under), receiver drilled and tapped, and possible sights of some kind? Any solid recommendations?

ajvigs":1mxp2ems said:
Who makes a good turkey gun? I want something all camo, short barrel (24" or under), receiver drilled and tapped, and possible sights of some kind? Any solid recommendations?

Mossberg makes a decent shotgun if you like them. Not sure if you like Mossbergs or not. They do sell alot of gun for the money.

I have plans to travel west to ND, Wyo. and Montana for spring season turkey hunting. I can hunt on friends land and usually there is a dumb bird or two around.

I use an early 3.5" Remington 870 camo (12 ga.) with a 0.670 Jellyhead choke, firing Win. XX #4 loads in 3" casings. Inside of 40 yards he's mine!

I had my hands on a Mossberg 500 turkey today; their flex version with the additional defense barrel. It felt good, the top tang safety was nice, but the fore-end was very loose and wobbily...

I looked at a Benelli Supernova, it was very slick in the action department, but very plastic feeling.

ajvigs":3pby7h9j said:
I had my hands on a Mossberg 500 turkey today; their flex version with the additional defense barrel. It felt good, the top tang safety was nice, but the fore-end was very loose and wobbily...

I looked at a Benelli Supernova, it was very slick in the action department, but very plastic feeling.

Yeah, I don't like the plasticy feel of the Nova. The Winchester pump's seem to be pretty nice to me. Again, I am not a shotgunner, just my observations.

The Mossbergs are wobbly like that, no idea why.

Started working with my 20 gauge youth model.

.570 Tightwad
Fed HeavyWeight #7
Remington 870 Youth 21" barrel
41yds

That's a 16" circle, it was actually 219 - 16" and 132 - 10" circle.

4372ce86-6ad8-4136-aa24-44e601484ae0_zpsbaac0086.jpg

This isn't the best pattern but it was the average, pretty mean for a little 20.

If you guys likes turkey hunting you may like this song. I just right clicked and saved as:

http://tnhunting.com/images/wordpress/turkeysong.mp3

Very nice Heath! Very mean 20 Gauge! That's turn heads into bloody pulps I believe.

Everyone is talking pump guns for turkey. I'll take my Beretta Semi Auto, why? No ones talking about the recoil a 3 1/2 inch load churns out of a pump gun. Thank god usually one shot is all you need. Having used a 3 1/2 for Ducks I can tell you that I wouldn't want to set up against a tree and touch one off. I watched my Duck hunting buddy set off a 3 1/2 while sitting on a mud seat and it rocked him a bit.

My favorite Turkey gun is my 1100 Rem 3" mag 30" barrel with a modified forcing cone. I also reload my own ammo for this which shoots super tight groups. For safety reasons I can't post the loads which are about 10 percent over max for a 2 3/4 " shell with 1 1/2 oz buffered shot load. With out the buffering material they are well with in the safe pressure range but don't shoot as tight.

I am going to try to track one down in a gunshop down here and see how the Stoeger looks. It has indeed gotten very good reviews. It may be just the ticket for what I want.

I can't offer any insight on the Stoeger, but for Canadas, snows and turkeys, I default to 3 1/2" loads. I don't suppose I can say I killed anything deader than I would have with 3" shells, but since the chamber allows, I might as well use the longer ones. While recoil is pretty brutal in a practice environment, I don't ever remember feeling beat up even after very successful hunts.

As an aside, we were once shooting clays gearing up for waterfowl season when somebody got the bright idea to shoot one with a 3 1/2" T. The target simply vanished from the air. No puff of dust, no pieces falling down, just gone. :)

Good luck with your decision. And post a picture when you get it home!

I run a 11-87 Super Magnum for turkeys. Killed plenty of turkeys over the years with 2 3/4" and 3" stuff.. I shoot 3.5" stuff out of the 11-87 as it hammers turkeys and since it is the guns only purpose, I run the big stuff. I also have a 10 gauge single shot that patterns really well too... Might have to break it out this Spring. It is also black death on gobblers...

Saturday is the Youth Day.. Hoping to get started right!

Good luck.

Back