Turkey hunting?

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
I had a tag for our first season here in Michigan. My tag was good from April 23-29. For those in Michigan it was for area K, north central Michigan. The weather didn't look promising but the last time that I had back to back days off were New Years Eve and New Years Day, so I really didnt care. Was a week off to hang out with my dad at our cabin, do some turkey hunting and some bluegill fishing. Enjoy a cigar, glass of whiskey, etc...

Opening day was interesting. It was calm until 8am then 30 mph winds took over. Not fun hunting turkeys in a hurricane. I only got hit a couple of times by branches, etc. No turkeys.

The second day started out pretty much the same. By 10 am I was sick of it and walked back to the cabin. My dad suggested we take a ride, looking for deer, bear, turkeys, whatever. We ended up in Ludington and had to buy a bunch of smoked whitefish. After a lunch of smoked fish, crackers, cheese, pickles, and sweet tea, I headed out to find a spot to hunt, (nap), and found a nice spot by a water hole. I sat facing the sun and called a few times. Funny how when you doze off, your brain stays awake. All of a sudden I was aware of crunching leaves behind me, scuffling, something was coming closer. I was wide awake. Turkey! Something seemed not quite right. Whatever was walking up to me wasn't a bird. Too much noise and scuffling. Also, it just seemed TOO close. I slowly rotated my head around and about 6 feet away I saw this:

View attachment raccoon.jpg

I use a scope on my shotgun when I turkey hunt and this was WAY to close for a scope. Only option was a 125gr Gold Dot out of my .357sig. As it turns out, I killed another one the next day. At least I got to shoot stuff on my vacation! :twisted:

Great story. It is worthwhile just to be out in the woods. Consequently, coon can taste pretty good when it is prepared correctly.

DrMike":c3nhaian said:
Great story. It is worthwhile just to be out in the woods. Consequently, coon can taste pretty good when it is prepared correctly.

How do you prepare coon?

Gotta be better than brussel sprouts.

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Good job on the coon.
I have the late season, which starts Monday 5/7. Should be a good opening morning.
RCX_0149.jpg

JD338

Hey, I like brussel sprouts!

Make certain you skin the coon before eating it. :roll: Remove all the fat. Wash the critter and place the carcase in a large soup kettle. Cover it with water and bring to a boil. Simmer it for about 30 minutes. Peel, core and dice five or six large granny smith apples. Melt about two tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan, to which you add a teaspoon of cinnamon, a cup of dry breadcrumbs, a teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Mix this thoroughly before stuffing the raccoon and sewing the body. Place the coon breast down in a roasting pan. Drape strips of salted port over the back, fastening them with toothpicks. Place several large onions around the coon on the rack. Bake at 400 degrees for ten minutes to brown the meat before reducing the heat to 325. Add two cups of beef stock (here would be a good place to use venison or elk stock) and cook for an hour, basting as often as possible. Transfer the whole to a heated platter, surrounded by the onions and enjoy a great meal.

The coon can also be cut into pieces, rubbed with salt and pepper before rolling in flour. Brown the pieces in hot fat, add about two cups of broth, cover and simmer for a couple of hours or until it is tender.

When you're done, it'll taste amazingly like coon.

JD338":3rxh13oy said:
Sounds like you had a great hunt. Good job on the coon.
I have the late season, which starts Monday 5/7. Should be a good opening morning.
RCX_0149.jpg

JD338

By the way, this looks awesome. When turkeys are vocal and moving, turkey hunting is about the most fun anyone can have in 6 hours.

I hope to get back into turkey hunting sooner rather than later. My wife isn't too fond of a fall hunting trip AND a spring hunting trip. Maybe when the kids are older, or when I get stationed somewhere turkeys are common. I grew up in northern Missouri, and I miss those turkeys.

Good luck!

Back