Two and a half pound folding 30-30?

clearwater

Handloader
Feb 5, 2005
I like to backcountry hunt and also hunt when in the backcountry (hunting opportunistically when backpacking). I am old enough that every pound extra takes it toll. Do you think this new Chiappa Big Badger 30-30 really weighs 2.5 lbs? Or is that in Kilograms?

I already have a centerfire that weights 6 lbs scoped. But a folding one that weighs that much less would be pretty handy.

I hunt the Mountains and I think a Remington 700 BDL weight is about Perfect. I carry a Model 70 300 H&H Mag or Model 70 .264 Win Mag or Remington 700 BDL 6mm Rem and never felt my rifles were to heavy in ID MT WY CO SD AK. Truth be told all of us could be in better shape and shed a couple pounds ! I loose between 10-15lbs every time I go hunting for 7-9 days in the West. No I am not interested in an ultra light weight Rifle as light rifles are not as steady in my hands. But hey we all have to like something different as it would be a boring World if all the cars in the parking lot were the same. TC

Hmm. I dunno. I didn't find a photo of the rifle, just the specifications from the link you posted. Maybe it's that light? I'd wait for photos and more info.

Like ol' 1100 Remington Man, I don't mind a "standard" weight rifle at all. Carrying a heavy barreled varmint/target type rifle around isn't all that great, but a normal "sporter" type rifle seems fine. Maybe 8 pounds or so with scope.

Guy

Well, there's no doubt it's ugly. Found a source that says it comes in 30-30, 350 Legend, and .410. My guess is that by those limits and the look of it, it's won't be available in 30-06 anytime soon. Cool concept, though. Might be interested in one if it was 410 and 30-30.

Back