Ultimate flat liner?

Silent Sam":2nq50ruk said:
There is flat and there is flat enough. Light bullets and more velocity is not always or even often the best choice. Today we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to bullets.

True dat. Well said.

While I am more than satisfied with the 130gr E-Tip from my 270Wby, I am itching to try the 150gr AccuBond Long Range (NABLR, or Fotis for those in the know) in mine. With a 3200+fps mv achievable, I'd be looking at about 15yds less point blank range, but at 500yds, the two bullets would be near even in drop. Out beyond 500yds (should I choose to start practicing out that far on paper or steel) I'd have some advantage over the 130gr E-Tip. It'll likely be a fun workup, and this gun has shot 150s better overall than the 130s, though historically not as fast as I'd like.

We do indeed have an embarrassment of riches in bullet availability today...

FOTIS":23wprny4 said:
What is your load if I may ask?
84.5 IMR 7828. I thought It was good for at least 3200 but it turned out to be over 3400+ after I chrono it.

Kodiak":3j8tldm5 said:
We have our favorites in the flat-liner catagory, many as they may be.

As Dave led, we need to keep in mind the choice of bullets used.

I spoke with an outfitter earlier this week and he has dropped all .270 caliber rifles from the list of allowed hunting rifles in his elk camps. Seven mags and larger are ok.

Just for the record, I have taken several large bulls with a .270 caliber rifle and the very fine 130 gr. Partition bullet, some at distances over 300 yards. So .....

Maybe if he was guiding real riflemen instead of nimrods with deep pockets, his experiences would be different. The ol 270 win has dropped many large mammals a d the 270 WSM is just more of a good thing. A 7mm and a high bc / sd bullet shoots as flat as can be reasonably expected.

super-7":2ysleumx said:
Kodiak":2ysleumx said:
We have our favorites in the flat-liner catagory, many as they may be.

As Dave led, we need to keep in mind the choice of bullets used.

I spoke with an outfitter earlier this week and he has dropped all .270 caliber rifles from the list of allowed hunting rifles in his elk camps. Seven mags and larger are ok.

Just for the record, I have taken several large bulls with a .270 caliber rifle and the very fine 130 gr. Partition bullet, some at distances over 300 yards. So .....

Maybe if he was guiding real riflemen instead of nimrods with deep pockets, his experiences would be different. The ol 270 win has dropped many large mammals a d the 270 WSM is just more of a good thing. A 7mm and a high bc / sd bullet shoots as flat as can be reasonably expected.

I can confidently say, having seen what a 130gr E-Tip from my 270Wby will do traveling literally down the full length of the spine of a deer for over 4' of penetration, and hearing Dr. Mike's experiences with the same bullet out of a 270WSM on moose, I'd have no qualms about taking my 'bee elk or moose hunting. Only if I were going after the great bears or hunting in their territory would I feel the need for something bigger. And then it would not be about the elk or moose. I suspect Super-7 is dead on as far as the experience of that outfitter. I'd go a bit farther and suggest that many of those with a .277cal bore were shooting inappropriate bullets (Core-Lokt or other traditional cup/core bullets) from factory ammo at those animals, where they should have invested some time and effort in bullet choice and marksmanship prior to heading out west. That's a gross assumption, but I'd be willing to bet it's not far from the truth. I'd also bet the outfitter is, like most, not less than strongly opinionated and had one or two bad experiences that wasted his time and he's made this decision based on anecdotal, though personal, evidence. I'm not knocking him, mind you. I'm just betting he's like most outfitters - strong minded, unwilling to take BS, and painfully aware of how costly a bad shot is in the field, both in terms of the "fun" quotient, and the fiscal impact on his business. If I were an outfitter, I'd be the same way.

Saying the 270 is a bad elk rifle is like saying that 30-30 is no good for deer. Having used the WSM on elk, I'd do it again. While I prefer heavier, there is no question of the 270's effectiveness. A bad shot with a 270 isn't going to shoot a 338 better either. Granted, I would rather follow up a poor hit hit from a 338 than a 270, neither is a guarantee of recovery.

SJB358":u7ptmh7m said:
Saying the 270 is a bad elk rifle is like saying that 30-30 is no good for deer. Having used the WSM on elk, I'd do it again. While I prefer heavier, there is no question of the 270's effectiveness. A bad shot with a 270 isn't going to shoot a 338 better either. Granted, I would rather follow up a poor hit hit from a 338 than a 270, neither is a guarantee of recovery.

Well said, Scotty. I've used the 270WSM to take several elk and moose, and all dropped pretty quickly. Undoubtedly, a 270 Win will take elk, just as it has for many years. However, a bad shot is a bad shot. Also, I'm not impressed by what outfitters permit or don't permit. We have a local outfitter that will not guide anyone shooting Nosler Partitions! They just don't work on elk and moose, he says. You just can't fix stupid. I'm aware of another outfitter that won't allow anyone to use a 30-06 for moose, since it isn't enough rifle. People can become fixated on an idea and jettison all reason. It is impossible to prevail in discussions with such people.

DrMike":21ad5jeo said:
People can become fixated on an idea and jettison all reason. It is impossible to prevail in discussions with such people.

With a statement like that, you'll get this thread moved to the "Politics" section! Sounds like 537 idiots in DC to me!

dubyam":2fsjr9ht said:
DrMike":2fsjr9ht said:
People can become fixated on an idea and jettison all reason. It is impossible to prevail in discussions with such people.

With a statement like that, you'll get this thread moved to the "Politics" section! Sounds like 537 idiots in DC to me!

Excellent point, dubyam. I guess it is the politician in my fighting to come out.

Back