Ultimate flat liner?

Of the list, I chose the .257 in a stainless Remington 700 SPS, dropped it in a McSwirley Classic, and bolted on a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44. Never got around to loading for it, I just zeroed it with the 80 grain TTSX factory loads.

Ideally, I think I would rather try a 7mm Mashburn, or just use one of my 7 WSMs, than any of the others...

I'd have to say none of the above, nothing on that list has my interest. I am however looking at a .270 WSM those seem pretty cool to me.

The .270Bee with 150grainers @ +3270 ft/sec or 180grainers @ +3000 ft/sec will qualify in every elkcamp regardless how of many 7mmRems there might be with their 175grain stuffs.

BTW. the .277cal bullets is more 7mm than the "7mms"..

Depends, they all have there specialty and some work a lot better then others in certain cases...

For antelope, tough to beat the 257 or 264, any will do but why beat yourself up??? Id take the 100g NBT in the 257 for laser flat or 264 w/140 for the longer fun stuff.

For deer, I'd take the 264 w/140g, 270 w/150g and the 7s w/160g, here the 264 w/140 would get my vote just because wont beat you up like the 7 mags will. The 257 with 115g will drop deer further then 95% could probly hit them at as well.

For elk the 257 doesn't get any attention from me, its not a dedicated elk caliber or rifle IMO. I could get into a lot of trouble for saying this but my minimum for elk is a 7 mag of some sorts with a 160g bullet. So that pretty much takes out the 264 and 270 as well, again for me. Which leaves the 7 mags with a good 160-168g bullet.

I'll probly still take a 7 mag for dedicated do all rifle, it gets job done both near and far on both small and large game without to much recoil on your end. I may also be a bit biased on the caliber but I've made kills on big game from 25 out to 1100 yards with the lowly 7 RM, so for me, it gets my vote anyway.

I'm really liking the 264 with 140's around 3200. Seems very easy shooting, retains alot of energy and with the AB, it should penetrate like a 200 grain AB from a 300 magnum. While not my ideal elk rifle, I wouldn't think twice about using it.

Guy Miner":1kw3nrje said:
I have experience with the .257 Weatherby and the 7mm Rem mag. Both are great.

For deer & smaller, I'd go with the quarter-bore.

If elk is on the menu, the 7mm would get the nod.

I've heard that the 7mm RUM is a little finicky, but have not direct experience with that. LOTS of case capacity for a mere .28 caliber bullet there.

Guy

I would mostly mimic his reply but I would go with a 7mm Roy over the WM or Rum. Actually though as you know, my 7 of choice is the STW but not on your list as the 7mm Roy is not either. My 127gr Grooves shoot @ 3850. With a 300 yard zero I am at under 13" drop at 500. Bad thing is I am at +5" at 200.

On that note however, I would think it would be interesting to load the 130gr GS Customs in a .30-378?? That should be a lazer beam!

Wow groove bullets. I still got some. Took 3 goats with them. They sucked.

I think a .30-.378 IMP. or .30-338 Lapua Imp. shooting the GS Custom 177gr bullets (.630 ish BC) at 3600+fps would qualify as lazer beam like.

Fotis...LOL, Wow, I am surprised to hear you say that GroovyPOP. I still have about 150 of the .257 and 50 of the .243's that I plan on using. I am down to 13 or less of the 7mm's. I have been shooting them this whole time. I love them. Dropped some goats, deer, and several elk. I get sub .5moa with them out to 600 with my STW, have not shot beyond that. I have hesitated bringing them up, or any other bullets as this is a Nosler Forum. However you asked about the ultimate flatliner and I think mine fits that bill pretty good, well at least for another dozen shots anyways.

Extremely accurate bullets. In all calibers with every load I tried never a group over MOA. Only reason I disliked them (and spend hours on the phone with Don on this issue) is they expanded at very high speeds only. I told Don but he disagreed until he went to Africa and they penciled through every game he shot.

Sako7STW":49hdiist said:
........... I have hesitated bringing them up, or any other bullets as this is a Nosler Forum.

Everyone should feel free to express themselves on here. I bring up competitors bullets all the time!!!! This is how we run this forum or else I would not do it.

Not that I am biased, but with the right bullets, the 7 mm STW, is a real flatliner. When I bought mine I was looking for an extended range rifle, with less recoil than the 300's. My new barrel is a 1 to 9 inch for the longer bullets. Right now I have the 175 PT, 180 Bergers, and looking forward to the new AB's.

FOTIS":2oc3kryc said:
Extremely accurate bullets. In all calibers with every load I tried never a group over MOA. Only reason I disliked them (and spend hours on the phone with Don on this issue) is they expanded at very high speeds only. I told Don but he disagreed until he went to Africa and they penciled through every game he shot.

Fotis,

We experienced that with the 101gr .257's so we took all our bullets and drilled them out with my precision drill press an additional .125" deeper and the bit we used was just slightly larger to make the hollow point slightly bigger. We then weight matched each bullet by finding the lightest bullet then drilling out the rest till they matched it. We noticed no difference in accuracy and the weight only changed a few grains. We never did try them again in his Roy on game as he just didnt trust them. So I have held on to them and will run them in my wifes 25-06 after we have shot thru all her 100gr TSX bullets That I loaded for her, which have performed flawlessly I might add. I did this same thing with my 127's and have not lost an animal yet or had to shoot one twice although I did shoot them more than once on a couple of occasions as I am a firm believer that the lead flies till they are in the dirt but it was not needed. Far better terminal performance than I saw with the 145gr LRX bullets I tried this year. Total pencil holes. So far I am not sold on the high BC bullets being a good choice in normal hunting conditions and ranges. I am not even close to convinced that even the TTSX perform's as well as the TSX.

My apologies for the side conversation everyone.

Of all my rifle in my battery, I never thought that the 300 Weatherby can considered a flatliner. But with recently chronograph 180 grain Barnes TSX at over 3400 fps from my Accumark, the 300 is mighty flat.

Desert Fox":2b62kbg2 said:
Of all my rifle in my battery, I never thought that the 300 Weatherby can considered a flatliner. But with recently chronograph 180 grain Barnes TSX at over 3400 fps from my Accumark, the 300 is mighty flat.

I wonder (but not enough, apparently, to run the numbers) if a TTSX would shoot noticibly flatter?

Another vote for the 270 WBY. Mine is a Ruger 1B. Bullet choice depends on the game and location. When I first got it I wanted to see just how fast I could push a 130gr BT accurately. I have no need of a 7mm anything. Used it on south Texas senderos plugging yotes and piggies way out there (for me -500yds). Head shots only on pigs. This summer I plan on working up a good 140gr or maybe 150gr load. I think the 140's are the way to go both with the 270WSM and WBY unless you're after something bigger and meaner than elk and in that case I would personally be looking at more caliber. There is flat and there is flat enough. Light bullets and more velocity is not always or even often the best choice. Today we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to bullets.

Back