Understanding case efficiencies...

So I finished the camparison of the 7mm's, which included the 7mm-08, 280 Rem, 284 Win, 7mm Rem Mag andd 7mm STW. (Because I own or have owned these cartridges. no offense to others not used in this comaprison). Data complied to 500 yards, as that is the distance that I can practice at the range, therefore my self-imposed hunting range limit.

I used the 140, 150 and 160 gr AccuBond bullets, as it my favourite hunting bullet, and has proven to be the easiest to work up good hunting loads with in all of the cartridges I have done so to date, the most consitently accurate bullet and proven on-game performance I have used to date.
I used Re-19 as the powder as it was the one powder with data given for all of the cartridges in the Nosler manual. While it may not be the top performer or most "accurate" powder tested and listed for each cartridge, it was the best constant. (again, trying for the best apples-to-apples comparison)
I also extrapolated the data to a constant barrel length of 24" (using a 25 fps/inch average gain or loss in velocity). Again to maintain a constant.

The winner, of the most efficient case: if you use the balance of best use of fps/gr of powder and ft-lbs/gr of powder, and retained velocity and energy at 500 yards, for on game performance, to determine the efficiency;
7mm-08 with the 160 gr AccuBond
160 gr AccuBond (BC 0.531 SD 0.283) with 47.5 gr of Re-19 (2730 fps 2648 ft-lbs) gave 57.5 fps/gr of powder and 55.8 ft-lbs/gr of powder. It also retained 71.3% of its velocity (1947 fps) and 50.9% of its energy (1347 ft-lbs) at 500 yards.
This means that it still has the velocity to reliably expand at that range, and has enough energy to reliably penetrate any antelope, deer, sheep, goat, black bear or caribou at that range (with proper bullet placement of course).
Good for moose at 400 yards and elk at 200 yards. (again using the 1000, 1500 and 2000 ft-lb parameters for those species, respectively)
Bullet drop at 500 yards, with a 200 yard zero is 45.7" (7.9" at 300 yards and 22.8"at 400 yards)

I look at it kinda like engines. Because I’m old school..... I look at comparing a 350 Chevy small block and a 454 big block. You can (try) get the same horsepower out of both but you’ll be doing it a lot easier with the big block although burning more gas.

Back