Unsucessful Pig Hunt!

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I brought this over from another forum where I had asked questions about pig hunting around Branson MO, as you can see I didn't get any pigs! I had such a great time I wanted to share but I didn't know where to post it, so since it started out about hunting with the 6x47 rifle I built I thought why not here.

Want to thank everyone for the suggestions, but unfortunately we only had three days in Branson. I will enjoy the next trip back as we will be taking a few more days to spend there as we just couldn't get it all done in the little time we had there. I did go hunting at Wranglerup Outfitters and while I didn't see any pigs I had a great time there with the kid, I'm getting married in September and my future wife Anne has a great daughter that loves to spend time with me and we have a great time together.

We didn't see any of the sites that everyone suggested the first day was spent having breakfast with Anne's aunt and uncle and just figureing our way around Branson. Hannah spotted the Ducks so we had to take a ride on one of thoes old amphibious Army 2-1/2 tons out onto Table Rock Lake. After the Duck tour was over we then prepared for our pig hunt down to Alpena AR. We got back shortly after midnight as Hannah's imagination got the best of her after 5 hours in a tree stand and all the night noises she was sure a bear was climbing up to get her. When she couldn't stand it anymore we went home but "it was time well wasted" to quote a line from a Brad Paisley song.

The next day we did a little canoe trip on a private pond in Stone Bridge where Anne's aunt and uncle live. Here they are getting ready to paddle across the pond. Hannah really didn't enjoy the canoe a whole lot to begin with but she figured out that she wouldn't fall out after a while.

veryfun.jpg

We then went fishing on a stocked pond on the property that afternoon. I still can't get Hannah to take her own fish off the hook and she will not hold a catfish yet. Here is the catfish she caught on her little Scooby Doo pole I had to hold it up for the picure.

fishy1.jpg

Here is about as close as she wanted to get to a large mouth she caught as well.

hanfishy2.jpg

The next day after church with Aunt Teenie and Uncle Charlie, I had arranged for a guided trout fishing trip under Table Rock dam. Hannah really enjoyed this trip and caught the most fish of anyone, Mom and I were too busy watching her to catch many fish. Plus she enjoyed this boat trip upriver far more than she ever enjoyed the canoe.

omgfun.jpg

purejoy.jpg

Plus, she landed the biggest fish of the day a 19.75" 4lb rainbow, she really wanted a 20" fish so she could keep it. Didn't matter though it was a great day and I'm sure her memories would last longer than any fish she could bring home to eat!
thebigone.jpg

We just didn't have enough time to do all the things that we wanted to do.

You had a very successful trip! The expressions on your daughter's face will last a lifetime! Congratulations to you. :grin:

JD338

taylorce1,

Nothing unsuccessful about that trip. My in-laws owned a cabin on Table Rock, and we spent some time down there. The fishing can be very good indeed (at least that was true 30+ years ago). Catfish, bass, trout--I'd say the young lady did quite well. Thanks for sharing the experience through pictures.

Looks like it was a great trip to me! Glad you were able to get out and wet some hooks with your family! Scotty

Having fun and sharing the out doors is all good, thanks for sharing the story and pics for it should remind all that getting out and being with friends and family are way more important than bagging the big one. :grin:

Back