Using a different Nosler bullet for practice

whit

Beginner
Dec 10, 2008
I hunt with 150 grain 7mm Etips but they are kind of pricey. After missing a deer at 260 yards yesterday, I realize that I need more practice at longer distances. Is the 150 ballistic tip a good option for the practice bullet, can I use the same powder charge and expect a close poi to the etip?

Chris

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I would think that just about any quality bullet of similar weight would be good to practice with at normal hunting ranges. I don’t think the fancy LR bullets come into their own until they are way, way out there. In fact it’s been my experience that a plain old flat-base bullet is more accurate to at least 300. They are less complicated to make leaving less room for variations.

They might shoot to the same POI and the same powder charge might work OK. The only way to know is load them up and try them.

I have used several different E-Tips and have not had much luck with getting the same POI when trying C&P bullets. The same powder charge should be OK as the mono develop more pressure than C&P's.

Practicing with any rifle can help you if you have the basics down, even a .22 or dry firing with your 7mm will help.

Maybe bring a knowledgeable friend along who can watch and give you pointers on your prone position, cheek weld, etc .... It's hard to fix what you don't know is wrong.

Happy hunting!

For years i have done the same as you ask, i have used 180 gr. Sierra, FB bullets for practice as a substitute for for 180 grain Partition. The are ballistically the same, and the Sierra's hit 2 inches right of the PT. But i ALWAYS check my sight settings prior to hunting season.

I always practice with cheaper bullets for the rifle I am planning on using for hunting. Nosler ballistic tips for my AccuBond hunting loads or Hornady SSTs for the Hornady Interbonds, Hornady interlocks for Nosler Partitions. I'll sight in with the cheaper bullets and practice all spring and summer. Then in mid-August, I'll switch to the hunting bullets and sight in and practice at my hunting ranges. Very simple and it works.

Back