Using loading manuals when they don't have you exact powder and bullet combination

bclark7b

Beginner
Apr 15, 2022
Hello everyone, I have ramshot hunter powder and I'm looking to load 30-06 with 165gr Hornady SST's. My question is.the western load data has 2 165gr bullets for a 30-06 with Hunter powder but not the one I'm using. Can I use this data on the SST or will that cause problems?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220427-210715_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20220427-210715_Samsung Notes.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 17
Yes, you can use the data, though you will want to exercise some caution. Bearing surfaces can differ, causing pressure differentials, and metallurgical differences can create some differences that can throw a curve. On the whole, despite the cautionary statements, data for one bullet at a given weight will translate to similar data for another bullet. The key to safety is to start low and work up, watching for pressure signs. It is a wise move to use a chronograph, watching for exaggerated velocities that are indicative of excessive pressure.

Some very good advice has been given. I would like to add by saying to always use cation with load data given on the internet and cross reference it with a trusted reloading guide. Having multiple reloading manuals with prove to be a value resource.

JD338

I'll add this: if you can get a line on the length of the bullet they use in the manual, compare it to the length of the bullet you have on hand. This will give you an idea of comparable seating depth and can warn you to stop adding powder when working up. It also suggests if you need to adjust your COAL.

For me, I like to sketch out a line drawing of the cartridge with measurements annotated (leftover from my machining days). It helps me visualize things like bullet seating, available powder volume, etc. before ever touching things that make fire. I find I can work out a lot of things just by looking at it and thinking it over carefully.

Hodgdon has data for a 180gn sst. The start load of hunter is 54.5gn and max is 60.5gn.

Gordon's Reloading Tool is showing that both lines of data that Western list in their manual are well within the safe range for the 165gr SST.
Maybe someone with QuickLoad might chime in.
1670118127194.png

Yes, you can use the data, though you will want to exercise some caution. Bearing surfaces can differ, causing pressure differentials, and metallurgical differences can create some differences that can throw a curve. On the whole, despite the cautionary statements, data for one bullet at a given weight will translate to similar data for another bullet. The key to safety is to start low and work up, watching for pressure signs. It is a wise move to use a chronograph, watching for exaggerated velocities that are indicative of excessive pressure
Echo this x1000000
And that is a huge reason why it's very important to use extreme caution and why I need to see some hard data for trying a load.
Differing geometry has a very real effect on things
One example I specifically into was Alliant data...
R17 data lists 66 grains using a speer 180gr BTSP @ approx 3090
Using the same charge with a Ballistic Tip of same weight I was getting just over 3200 fps

Fortunately I had no pressure signs but you could definitely tell that load was hotter alright and a 100fps± difference is a very real possibility along with significant spikes or drops in pressure which we can't really see or measure only be on the lookout for such high abnormal pressure

Be safe out there

Back