Utah Shiras Moose for Dad

Silentstalker

Handloader
Jun 2, 2011
I had the incredible honor to help my Dad fulfill a lifetime dream of killing a Shiras Moose. He has been applying for as long as I can remember. This was an incredibly difficult hunt filled with setback after setback. But, we persevered and the tough luck and hard efforts paid off with this beautiful bull that will be an incredible memory for both of us and a freezer full of meat to feed us all winter. Congrats Dad!

Dad was using his trusty Model 70 in 270 WSM shooting 150 gr. Partition hand loads. Attached is a pic of a bullet recovered in the off side ribs. The bull took 4 shots before he fell but I’m sure the first one did the job...

2eb28cba7e3f1bf06ff5d19b4a88b4a9.jpg

b5f69d6defbe9abcfe4c3fd2c61333f6.jpg

deed8679cac67ebb615954d570f2ab51.jpg

Wow congrats to your dad and you as well! Glad you guys stuck it out and were rewarded in the end with a beautiful bull. Yep, moose sometimes take a while to decide they are badly hurt and lay down no matter what you hit them with. Sometimes they just stand there a while :wink:

Congratulations to you and your dad. Your perseverance paid off. It is fine looking animal. You will recall your hunt with every meal from him.

Dan

He looks to be big in body size as well. All that meat is going to taste great, you guys will love it!

Congratulations to both you and your Dad. Glad it all came together. Beautiful bull.

JD338

Congrats to you both! What a wonderful set of memories you have to share with your Dad! Good on you! CL

Congratulations on your father, son hunt. Looks and read like fun. The bullet details seemed that it really delivered. Dan.

Fantastic! What a hunt and memory of a lifetime. Can't get better than that! Thanks for sharing.

Back