Va Muzzleloader Whitetail

.280 Remington":8bl3khn5 said:
Woodycreek":8bl3khn5 said:
.280 Remington":8bl3khn5 said:
I hope I can copy you on Sat! 14 degrees for a low on Sat night....should keep them moving!

Mike,

I hope you do just that! Don't know if 14 degrees will keep deer moving, but I know it would get me doing jumping jacks in the treestand :mrgreen:

Good thing I won't be in a tree stand...........NO TREES!!

Ha! That's right! Iowa has just enough for a stand here or there :lol:

There are a few along the Niobrara river but I won't be hunting the whitetails unless I see a giant somewhere. I'll be in the hills looking for a big stinky Muley Buck!

DrMike":2nzjp1fb said:
Brian, I can tell you that hunkered down watching a meadow fill with mule deer at -18 F certainly stresses the human body. The cold seeps into the bones, regardless of what one does. Still, that cold does get the deer moving. I suppose it is all relative.

You speak the truth on how the cold seeps in regardless of the amount of clothes. The first year hunting in Iowa was a big learning experience on COLD weather deer hunting :lol:

.280 Remington":1bkupw5s said:
There are a few along the Niobrara river but I won't be hunting the whitetails unless I see a giant somewhere. I'll be in the hills looking for a big stinky Muley Buck!

As we used to say.....GET SOME!

.280 Remington":nvb56ncw said:

I intend to be out this week looking for something similar; I need some sausage for the coming year. I believe you have bigger mulies than I would commonly see around here, Mike. The mule deer in the central part of the province are bigger, much like those from Nebraska. Good luck to you as you look for a big 'un.

Woodycreek":2grnhmew said:
.280 Remington":2grnhmew said:

As we used to say.....GET SOME!
I'm gonna do my best to let the new .280 get some blood on her!

Nice shooting Brian! Nice account and pics too. Funny how fifteen years ago I wouldn't think about a 125 yd shot with a M/L and now 200 yds is no problem when you have the time.

What are you pushing that Parker with?

Thanks CC! My Ecore has been one great shooting ML. Makes those 150-200 yard shots on deer fairly easy. My plan is working with it after the season at 300 yards. Think I will need a Leupold CDS scope or something along those lines before using it at 300? Talking with Scotty about this yesterday. I'm thinking a VX-3 3.5-10 B&C with CDS or a Zeiss Taget turret scope if it can handle not fogging on me again!

The load is 42gr of IMR SR4759 in a non speed breech Encore.

Back