Vanguard Sub Moa Problem

TN deer hunter

Beginner
Dec 21, 2004
I got my Talley Lightweights, so I went to put the scope on it and the front base screw hole is not drilled out enough it is only .089" deep. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to send it back because of the wait. I could shorten the screw but I don't like to think of having a gun that has a short base screw, there is only about 3-4 threads that would be holding it.
I went to Sportsmans Warehouse and ask to see a sub moa. I then told them what was wrong with mine so we removed the screw and the hole goes all the way down to the barrel threads. So mine is definitely not right. As for the base screws there are two long and two short and they both are too long when tightened down and the base is still loose. What to do?

Contact Weatherby Customer Service and see what they say. They may use a gunsmith in your area as a service center who can drill and tap the hole at no cost to you.

Let us know what they say.

JD338

+1 with JD,

Your at a starting point to get this resolved correctly and quickly.
Is this a deadend hole? or goes through but just not tapped far enough?

TN deer hunter":185p9ik5 said:
I got my Talley Lightweights, so I went to put the scope on it and the front base screw hole is not drilled out enough it is only .089" deep. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to send it back because of the wait. I could shorten the screw but I don't like to think of having a gun that has a short base screw, there is only about 3-4 threads that would be holding it.
I went to Sportsmans Warehouse and ask to see a sub moa. I then told them what was wrong with mine so we removed the screw and the hole goes all the way down to the barrel threads. So mine is definitely not right. As for the base screws there are two long and two short and they both are too long when tightened down and the base is still loose. What to do?

You have worked this same question on an other forum when you said the following.

"I finally got my Talley Lightweights, so I went to put the scope on it and one of my front base holes is not drilled out enough it is only .089" deep so I am going to have to take it to a gun smith to drill and tap it deeper? Has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to send it back to Weatherby because of the wait. I could shorten the screw but I don't like to think of having a gun that has a short base screw, there is only about 3-4 threads that would be holding it. What to do?

It is the front hole. I went to Sportsmans Warehouse today and ask them to see another sub moa. I then told them what was wrong with mine so we removed the screw and the hole goes all the way down to the barrel threads. So mine is definitely not right. As for screws there are two long and two short for the bases and they both are too long when tightened down"

I think you should send it to Weatherby or a Weahterby factory approved gunsmith and let them tell you what is wrong and fix it. If you keep bouncing around asking what is wrong from those of us who can not see the rifle nor actually fix it, you will never get it fixed.

bullet":20bvuxfk said:
You have worked this same question on an other forum when you said the following

I think you should send it to Weatherby or a Weahterby factory approved gunsmith and let them tell you what is wrong and fix it. If you keep bouncing around asking what is wrong from those of us who can not see the rifle nor actually fix it, you will never get it fixed.

I have contacted a gunsmith and will be taking it to him to fix. BTW I know what is wrong! I was just wanting some of the good folks on this boards opinions on what to do about it. Also, you do not have to read my threads on every board especially if they have the same subject. Thanks for taking the time to read my other post. Would you like me to PM you when I post again? :wink:

I took my Vanguard to my gunsmith and when he started drilling the hole out came this glue or rosin on his bit. In fact he looked at it before he started and thought it was not drilled all the way through as well. Thankfully the gun had been drilled and tapped all the way but some type of glue had set up in the hole. He cleaned out the hole, put my rings on and sent me on my way no charge. I am now ready if I could just find a Timney!

TN deer hunter":61fa98dn said:
I took my Vanguard to my gunsmith and when he started drilling the hole out came this glue or rosin on his bit. In fact he looked at it before he started and thought it was not drilled all the way through as well. Thankfully the gun had been drilled and tapped all the way but some type of glue had set up in the hole. He cleaned out the hole, put my rings on and sent me on my way no charge. I am now ready if I could just find a Timney!

great man, really happy for you. :grin:

Back